1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair is considering Texans for Hard Knocks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 23, 2015.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

WHAT??? In what world is that even close to being true?

I don't even live in Texas and all my friends, girls in particularly, who know absolutely nothing about football and can maybe name 2-3 players, absolutely know and love JJ Watt. He's easily the most recognizable non QB in the NFL, and outside of Brady/Manning, I would say the most recognizable face.

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Yea, I have no idea. I sure hope they aren't talking about the likes of Ray Lewis, Aaron Hernandez, etc... that would be a shame.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Hard Knocks doesn't spend a ton of time following the star players around, they usually only have a few segments with them.

I'm guessing Queesenbury, the QB competition, Clowney's rehab, and the usual players/rookies trying to make the cut will be the big storylines.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, think of the Bengals a couple of years ago. What were the storylines? Backup QB. Margus Hunt. Fullback battle. The guy who painted? And James Harrison's avoidance of the cameras.

Very little of Andy Dalton, AJ Green, or Geno Atkins.

5. thesimp

thesimp Member

Hard Knocks couldn't hurt the Texans popularity.

Perhaps the spotlight would help us handling the pressure of primetime games.

6. prohibido

prohibido Member

Because it's an enormous distraction. The guys are in camp to work, not constantly to be thinking about the fact that anything they do might show up on HBO. Is your question serious?

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't know if it's really a bad thing or not, I just don't think it helps in any way.

I'm no more a fan of the Falcons or Bengals now than I was a few years ago. I don't care about the teams on Hard Knocks. It's fun to watch but I don't even follow those teams enough during the season to find out how the story lines from the show play out. It was only today that I realized that Margus Hunt only has 10 tackles in 2 years.

I don't think the show really makes teams any more popular. And if it did, so what? NFL merchandise revenue is split equally between all 32 teams. The Texans selling more jerseys or the Bills selling more jerseys makes no difference to the bottom line. So I really don't see the point.

Yeah, the fan in me would rather peak behind the curtain of the Texans rather than the Redskins. But I do think the possibility of distraction is there and I'd rather let OB conduct business as usual and focus on that without having the thought of TV cameras in the back of his mind. It may not be a big factor, but it'll still be a factor to some degree.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It's never been shown to have a negative impact on how the team performs the following season. I think players work harder and are more focused so they dont look like idiots on camera. Look at previous seasons and how teams have fared. If it was any distraction, you'd see teams consistently losing more than expected...but it's actually not the case at all.

9. magman

magman Member

If the guys can't focus or find a few cameras a distraction, then we have bigger problems.

If the Texans have a disastrous season, I doubt it will be because of the cameras and distraction in training camp.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, their job is to play football on television....if they can't concentrate because of a few cameras, they're screwed anyway.

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

I don't like it, between Hard Knocks and JJ's new lady he may actually be brought down to human status.

12. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen any recent outings of JJ and the athlete's kryptonite so hopefully JJ just hit it and quit it.

13. avn81

avn81 Member

I'm sure the Texans will be mediocre regardless.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, mediocre like having their 4th winning season in 5 years...

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope the trophy case is large enough to hold all of these participation medals!

16. askball

askball Member

So it's looking official according to Tania's latest tweet.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, it's times like this that I wish certain "Texans fans" would just admit that they aren't really Texans fans. There's a decent sized segment of the fanbase that are just terrible fans.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> have been selected for Hard Knocks, per multiple sources.</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/603570526250930177">May 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's almost like a stadium that seats 70,000+ can hold a wide array of opinions!

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans have major announcement set for 1:30 today. They will be on Hard Knocks.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/603573014853070849">May 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>