1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Terrence Jones be our future PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Oct 29, 2012.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I feel like we don't need to trade for Paul Millsap or Josh Smith or Al Jefferson. I think that would just hinder Lin and Harden's development. We should let the reigns loose when it comes to Lin and Harden. Instead of trading for a star big man, does anyone here think Terrence Jones can develop into a star PF in this league

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

His upside is about a quasi-star like the way Odom (for the Lakers) and J smith are.

Lesser Dwight Howard :rolleyes:

3. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

TJ Won't be 21 until January . . . He has shown flashes of being a stud PF. He has ALL the tools to develop into that guy - and maybe quickly.

But Morey will run his risk reward stat analysis and i shall trust. If you get a chance to trade for or sign a guy like Kevin Love - you don't look back.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Only guys I want above him are Aldridge, Millsap, Jefferson.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yes. Josh Smith clone. Don't trade him, play him! By the end of the year people will agree that he was a top 5 player in the draft.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't know if he will ever develop into a star but I think he could. I think he could be better than Serge Ibalka. I think he could be a 10 rebound guy and a top defender. I think he could average 15+ points a game and I think he could be a clutch performer. I don't think he will ever turn into Karl Malone or Charles Barkley but he does have the talent IMO

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah, Im not really sure why everyone is so quick to dump the rookies to get someone that is going to be a UFA this Summer, and doesn't fit the Rockets current youth movement.

D-Mo, White, Jones, Patterson, Morris, Smith

Out of these 6 guys SOMEONE is destined to separate themselves this season, and make a name for themselves in the NBA. You have 6 bigs with high upside... The Rockets aren't at the point where they have to win NOW with this group.

If a deal is out there that makes sense, sure why not, but it cant be at the expense of the youth or draft picks that might be needed for a later blockbuster deal in the future. This could still be a great year to take a step back still and continue to rebuild around your core. The Rockets have their own lottery pick this year, given they dont make the playoffs.

If Im Morey I want to see how the first half of the season shakes out, and who takes a step forward. If the team looks like they are headed to lotteryville, you can thank you're lucky stars that you didn't waste assets on someone that A. Might not even re-sign as a free agent next Summer, and B. Makes you no closer to being a true title contender.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think the Rockets want to be in win now mode by the end of next summer, or earlier. I think the two Rocket players that other teams would want in return for an elite player would be Parsons and Jones. I'm not saying both would definitely be traded, but in order to acquire a big name player by trade, the Rockets would probably lose at least one of those two players for sure. I wouldn't get too attached to Jones or Parsons as Morey is on the hunt for one more big name.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You can never have enough good players, so Rockets need to get more. The Heat coming off a championship added Ray Allen.

That being the case, it'd be great to keep Jones and Parsons as part of the core. But if you have opportunity to trade for better players then you do so. Easy

1 person likes this.
  10. roxxy

roxxy Member

Who knows. He hasn't played in any meaningful NBA games yet. I would wait and see how he does in the regular season before I make my judgements. But I am rooting for him though. Love me some T Jones.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Jones is that big player. I think folks need to give our rebuild one more season. By the end of this yer I think it will be clear tht trading jones is a mistake. I like milsap and josh smith, but jones has more upside than milsap, and is a younger, cheaper version of smith. Al Jeff is the only one I'd be interested in because he can play the 5 and would compliment Asik well.

Sign Al Jeff in free agency or trade a minor asset for his bird rights:

Al Jeff/Asik
    Jones/D-mo/White
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin

2 years from now that's a contending core.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is my thought as well. I think the rockets will get at least one very good player out of Jones, White, and DMo. If you have a guarantee on an all-star, you get the all-star provided he isn't too old.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Terrance Jones to Patrick Patterson is like Shawn Kemp in his prime to Charles Oakley in his prime.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Terrence Jones is a winner and a keeper. Rockets have one of the youngest teams in the league and there time will come. Let this team play together and add or subtract pieces accordingly. The rockets are over weighted with PFs and Im sure Morey is going to move some of them.

15. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I love T-Bone!

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Terrence Jones is the future of the NBA.

17. Progs

Progs Member

Yea the only way I trade T Jones is to package him for a LaMarcus Aldridge and big MAYBE for Millsap and get to keep Dmo though if Daryl Morey wants to go for it this season... I say no to Josh Smith same type of player and Al Jefferson is getting up there in age and injuries...

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He could be.

But so could D-Mo or Patsquatch or Royce.

Just gotta see how they play once it actually matters.

19. Progs

Progs Member

ALdridge or Love are the only players that might be available that I would give Jones and Dmo and a 1st rd pick and 2nd rd pick in a heartbeat...

20. alethios

alethios Member

If he can develop a good low-post game, he will be a beast! He's already shown range in his shooting, good rebounding and blocking instincts, is good at moving without the ball and getting into the right place. Just needs to develop some back-to-the-basket moves. This will come with practice. I really can't fault his motor - that's a huge plus.