1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuggets sign Earl Watson, re-sign Demarr Johnson and Greg Buckner

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2148993

Denver Nuggets: The team has re-signed guards DerMarr Johnson and Greg Buckner and have signed guard Earl Watson.

Johnson and Buckner were both part-time starters for the Nuggets last season. Johnson averaged 7.1 points in 17 minutes per game, while Buckner got 6.2 points in 22 minutes per game in 2004-05.

Earl Watson averaged a career-best 7.7 points and 4.5 assists for the Grizzlies last season. Watson is the fourth player to leave Memphis via free agency or sign and trade this summer. The Grizzlies revamped lineup will be without Watson, Bonzi Wells, Jason Williams and Stromile Swift next season.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I like Earl Watson a lot. Nuggets have 3 solid PG's now with Boykins and Miller. Nuggets are going very good next year, better than Dallas but not Houston.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So I guess they're out of the running for Spree? Latrell has seemed to fall out of luck w/ all the good teams (Houston, Detroit, Denver). I wonder if Miami is gonna give him a call.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

looks like someone will be traded...

with a roster of:

camby-elson-schenscher
    kmart-nene-kleiza
    melo-dermarr-najera
    lenard-buckner-hodge
    miller-boykins-watson

maybe we can land one of thier PG's?

5. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

WOO HOO!!

Watson is a solid defender and gives us some more versatility. Not to mention the fact it means we won't sign Spree now. :D

6. leehoang

leehoang Member

If we take one of their PG's, we better be giving up some of our own guards too.

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Forgot to mention this earlier, but flip Kleiza and Najera's positions.

Also, don't expect the Nuggets to start talking trade until December or January at the earliest. Remember, we want to run. The team has talked about having three PGs on the roster for a few years now. One thing to ponder though is the fact that Nene, Earl and Vo combined make around a max player's salary.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I like it. Watson's a good defender and a good passer, an all around solid player... Just sometimes a little bit out of control, but he's a good PG for their running style. DJ played very well down the stretch, and Buckner's a good guy to have around.

The Nuggets still need shooters (why did you ever let Jon Barry go?), but they'll figure something out... Denver will be tough. No reason why they can't win 48-52 games next season.

Just do us (and the rest of the Western Conference) a favor and stay away from Paul Pierce.

This goes double for the Mavericks...

9. jlwee

jlwee Member

btw, beside Damon Stoudamire, do memphis still have any point guard???!! :confused:

10. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

According to the Lakers boards from a few days ago, they were counting on signing Watson and singing his praises... Now, I bet they're talking about how he's a scrub and they never wanted him anyway. :p

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Good moves for Denver. Unless Seattle really makes a addition I have not heard about, I'd favor Denver in their divison. I think Finley did them a favor in not considering them if it allowed them to get EW and at least one of GB or DJ.

I think Memphis made a major mistake in signing DS to a 4 year 4 mil year deal over EW to a 5 year 5-6 mil year deal. DS might have a better year next year, but long term EW would have been the much smarter move.

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I just read that Watson got $29.3MM over 5 years! :eek: He hasn't shown me enough upside to be worth that much. Now I think the Nuggets made a mistake signing him. This tells me they will get rid of Andre Miller for sure, but who wants his bloated contract that runs 4 more years?

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Miller's contract really isn't that bad (IMHO). It's not like he's making max money or anything.

If they do decide to move Miller, there will be takers.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I read that as well. 29M over 5 years? That's the FULL MLE! I am sure Damon Jones is taking note. (as is Houston's Mike James for next summer)

Watson is a nice defensive PG, but no way deserves the FULL MLE! Watson is probably worth 4 years 12M.

This looks like a panic move by Denver to me. They couldnt get a quality SG so they way overpay for another PG. With Miller and Boykins on the roster I dont see where Watson fits in.

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Remember when Moochie was putting up similar numbers (8 ppg, 5 apg) and the Rockets gave him that big contract? Uh, oh. . .

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

They have Bobby Jackson and Raul Lopez.

17. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

You speak the gospel.

Mighty Mouse, Bobby Jackson, Antonio Burks...Raul Lopez is playing in Spain this year.

18. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Any more predictions that the Grizzlies will be better than the Rox this year?

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Funny that in the 6-7 years that I've been coming to this site, MemphisX and Nuggets4 are probably the only two respectful fans of other teams to post regularly that come to mind. Back then, all 3 of our teams legitimately sucked. It was a "we won 40 games last year and the Chronicle reported that Mo Taylor lost weight, we will be in the playoffs next year!" type of thing. Weird to see that all 3 are playoff teams now (even though Memphis might slip) with Houston and Denver amongst the conference elite IMO.

20. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I see your point, but of course, Watson is better than Moochie. However, Denver better hope he doesn't catch Moochie's Disease (losing motivation once you get long term guaranteed money).

If this makes MIA pay Damon the full MLE to keep him, so be it. Good for him getting the money.