1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Too many Rockets crashing the boards?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by subtomic, Nov 13, 2001.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing that I've noticed this season is that every time the opposing team takes a shot, the entire Rockets team goes for the rebound. In particular, Mobley and Francis go after every loose ball. While I admire their tenacity, I'm not sure this is a good strategy.

To begin with, it's not like the guards are getting rebounds away from the opposing frontcourt players. The defensive rebounds that they usually get are mostly uncontested and could easily be grabbed by one of our frontcourt players. By going after these rebounds, the Rocket guards are expending more energy than they need to, and are allowing their defenders to get into position downcourt. That pretty much eliminates any chance of running a fast break. The guards are also (somewhat) showing disrespect to their frontcourt teammates. Finally, when the guards crash the defensive boards, they sometimes get in a battle with their frontcourt teammates that results in the ball getting tipped to the opposing team. I've seen this happen way too much this season.

Let me add that I am all for our guards making some effort on the offensive glass (although that leaves the Rockets vulnerable on the defensive end). But I think it's time they show a little more trust in their frontcourt and concentrate on starting the offense a little more.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

If we don't crash the boards with our guards, we will get pummeled on the boards. Francis is our best rebounder, sad but true.

This is like saying that Shaq should run for the fastbreak and let the PG's rebound for him.

The Rockets are one of the worst rebounding teams in the league, if we don't bring our guards in.

To be on offense, we have to get the ball.

Willis is a good rebounder, but I wouldn't want to rely on our undersized PF's to pull down 10 boards or so a game.

3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree - I think our guards rebounding stats are significantly padded by the uncontested rebounds they grab from our frontcourt. Funny thing is, they're just as bad about doing this when our best rebounder (Willis) is on the floor.

The Rockets are a team that could just kill other teams with the fastbreak. We've got the speed and youth and we need to use them. Playing half court ball because the guards are hanging around the defensive boards will hurt the Rockets in the long run. Better that the guards leave the rebounding to our frontcourt and expose their weakness (whatever the degree). If Rudy sees we have no one who can rebound, then maybe he'll trade some of our useless long distance shooters for a real in-the paint kind of player.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Well if our frontcourt aren't going to contest the rebounds then I think all the more reason for the guards to go after them!!

Our 'useless' long distance shooters are kinda necessary for the offence of the team, and just swinging together a trade for an 'in the paint' type player isn't easy - we would obviously want one who can actually play the game, and they're not exactly common.

5. kubli

kubli Member

BO OUTLAW!!! Orlando doesn't even use him anymore, CD needs to get to work.