1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should JJ Watt play more offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mockster, Sep 16, 2014.

1. mockster

mockster Member

I know this is a typical thing to post after a defensive player does something on offense. I know we don't need to tire watt out for defense but putting him 2-3 plays a drive would be cool. I can see him playing TE, FB, HB and even blocking. Would like to see a play where he runs down the middle on the goal line. He's literally athletically and freakishly muscled up big to be capable of such things. It's something to think about come playoff time.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Once every blue moon for the sake of confusion. No need to risk an unnessary injury.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, if he plays more, then what are offensive players going to do? Play more defenses. You just want to fool some people with his a few plays, but if you use him more, then everyone knows what you are going to do.

4. conquistador#11

kick returns. Danieal manning did it, why not watt? the giants won't know watt hit them.

once in a while like hr said and in goal line situations much like vrabel.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

No. You don't want to overwork your best player. Even if he could handle it, we need him on defense more than offense.

6. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Harden shouldn't play D, Watt shouldn't play O. Simple as that. Can't overwork the best player on the field/court :cool:

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You want to injure your best player in a kick return?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly I'd put him in a jumbo set like once a game where he does nothing but block just to lull other teams to sleep on him.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I would use him next game on the same play. You know he's going to get a lot of attention. After that, I'm not sure.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No...at least not as a regular thing. I wouldn't risk damage to that elbow any more than necessary. Blocking could put unnecessary stress on it.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Let's see how Andre Johnson would do punting. Throw the other team off.
    geez!

Offensive and defensive players play special teams. Manning returning kicks means nothing. Ed Reed returned kicks.

As much as we all love JJ, playing tight end is a whole different skill set and mind set. We don't know how good he would be blocking a D-lineman.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not like JJ Watt doesn't have experience at TE, he played the position before he switched to DE. That said, I don't want him playing much TE but that's only because I see no reason for him to risk injury doing so. It's pretty obvious that he could do so and do so well.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I want to see Andre play corner.

14. MystikArkitect

No.

But if you run the same play next time with a screen to Arian in the flat 1v1 against anyone it's a TD due to the attention Watt will get.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Can Fitzpatrick play safety?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Goal line plays(here and there), sure, go for it.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes but was he any good as a TE? Owen Daniels played QB too. Doesn't mean the Ravens should have packages with him under center.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm not a guy big on karma, but I do find it amusing that in the game he scored an offensive touchdown that he failed to show up in the defensive box score.

#18 arkoe, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Our only hope to save the season is to start Watt at quarterback from here on out.

Knowing the genius that Bill O'Brien is, I trust he's already figured that out.

Let me be the first to predict Watt's stat line against the Giants.

23-30 450 yards 3tds, 1 interception.

Although I predict he will have an interception, I also predict that on the runback, he will force a fumble and return said fumble for a tochdown.

On defense, he should easily have three sacks and twelve quarterback hits.

I realize this prediction may underwhelm some of you, but I've turned it down from what I'd like to predict, for realism's sake.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Being a TE doesn't require anywhere near the skill of being a QB. Also, JJ Watt was highly regarded at both positions, but more highly regarded as a DE so that's what he played. It's sort of like how Babe Ruth was an awesome pitcher, but an even more awesome hitter.