1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Fiber Optics] So any reviews for Fiber optic cable tv and internet service?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pradaxpimp, Feb 17, 2007.

1. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I kinda just signed up for it. Moms was like just get it.

2 months for free with no contract to cancel. 50 dollar installation fee. So...I'm wondering does anyone have experience with this technology. I'd like to give it a go, but just wondering if it's worth my while or should i stick with time warner cable?

2. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

The speeds I can get with my fiber DSL is astounding, at the same price as I was paying for normal service also.

3. cdastros

cdastros Member

Were do you live? I didn't know the houston area got fiber yet. All I have heard are good things from it.

4. pradaxpimp

i'm in houston. The salesman came by and was like, ur so good looking we're going to offer it to u.

No, he was like we're trying to implement fiber optics and i had the opportunity to get in on it.

It boils down to ummmm 104 bucks a month for, 3 tvs with hdtv receivers, 1.5 megs down, and 1 meg up or something. free dvr. but it was much more than the 35-41kbps that i'm gettin now.

Ne ways, dude was like we were testing the speeds and there were 25-27megs down. I'm was like bs, but with a 2 month free window of opportunity, i was like i'll check it out.

5. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

If you're talking about U-Verse....my boss got it. She said that the picture is great, but she can only watch HD in one room at a time. That would be a deal-killer for me.

6. pradaxpimp

yeah, i am talkin about u-verse. hd at one time? hmmm, not that big of a deal. i can live with that.

how's the internet speed for downloadin p*rn...i mean searching for ways to cure cance and helping kids who can't read good and who want to learn how to do other stuff.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

how much is FiOs without any tv...

8. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Well, you can still have U-Verse and get the Elite package...which gives you up to 6 Mbps, but she only got the Pro package which is supposed to give up to 3. I'm pretty sure that AT&T has at least 10 Mbps going to your house (they call it FTTC, Fiber To The Curb) but they've still got the same DSL packages to choose from.

Either way it's still faster, cheaper and has more consistent speeds than anything TWC offers.

She also said that the picture quality on the standard definition programming was "astounding".

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

like wow

That speed is really really low for fiber. It's capable of terrabit speeds. That's THOUSANDS of mb/s each way. I wonder why it's so crippled.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It's not available in my area but everything I have heard/read has been positive.

11. pradaxpimp

it's actually not because its solely used as a internet line. the line will be used for at most in my house...assumin i get the elite package, which bumps up my cost like 15 bucks....
    6mpbs down for my internet
    and whatever is entailed in 1 hdtv
    and 3 sd tv info.

So i'm guessin it's a lot more information than just the 6mbps u know what i mean? That hdtv line will be the primary hog of info flowing through that line.

12. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Keep your eyes peeled for broadband over power lines.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

they have been claiming that was gonna work for about 5 years iirc.

I checked into this, and its internet speeds arent even close to Verizon's FIOS that is being deployed in the Houston area right now.

They are offering a 30M/5M service option with static IP (I need static for various reasons) for right at 200 bucks.

they have a 5M/5M line for very cheap (iirc...around 40 bucks)

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Where in the Houston area is FIOS being deployed? Do you have a link or a phone number?

15. aznhobo1

aznhobo1 Member

I just got off the phone with Verizon Fios and another fiber optics service named Fision (www.getfision.com)

Fios told me that they are not in the houston area at all because that is SBC's territory(U-verse)

Fision told me that they just rolled out with service today in a few neighborhoods in Northwest Houston. The prices the told me were:
    Basic Video package of 260 channels - $69/mo
    10Mbps SYMMETRICAL - $69/mo
    Triple Play(phone,tv,internet): $120/month

These are standard prices, there are promotions going on too like all the cable companies have for x months at a lower price.
    Fision will be rolling out in other houston areas by the end of the year.

The best part of this is the symmetrical internet which means 10Mbps Down and UP. Which is unheard of even with Fios and U-verse.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

well, there is more to this area than just Houston.

We have Verizon out here, and we are getting mixed stories since I was told they would be rolling it out soon( meaning in the next year or so Im sure)

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Houston being SBC territory has nothing to do with it. Dallas is "SBC territory" and they have Fios.

18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I have Verizon and I'm in Houston

19. Enron

Enron Member

so which is supposed to be better? ATT or verizon? we are ready to dump time warner