1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HUBIE BROWN is a pathetic commentator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAandNFLFan, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hubie in a nutshell

When the Rockets score - " oh come on now (with a sigh)"

When the Mavs score - "great offense, great ball movement blah blah blah"

2. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Exactly, I cannot believe people defend him. Like the other poster said, with Brewer's threes he was like 'oh my' as if disappointed that the Mavs cannot win and it was just luck.

3. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i only listen to JVG
    all the rest i ignored
    yes worrell and drexler too lol

4. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Love me some Brent Barry and Hubie Brown.

Jon Barry can piss off

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

"Alright, that was a foul ... alright .... ok" I used to like Hubbie as a commentator. Not sure if iti s his age or something else, the guys has been ... "I say so" for a a while. Give me JVG and his quick witty comments all day long.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

How about Calvin!

7. Ryris

Ryris Member

JVG = G.O.A.T.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah. I'm guessing you weren't a fan during the championships? His voice was with us that whole time. I'll never forget how it sounds.

I'm with you. If you don't think he's fair, listen to him make fun of the double team on Harden where Amare wanted a traveling call. He straight makes fun of him. The dude is fair. Ya'll act like it's Shaq or Charles calling the game where they very obviously hate our team.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, sort of... his voice was with you for the non-nbc playoff games... and basically all games on weekends, all game 7's, and the WCF + NBA Finals were on NBC.

Also, if you wanted to watch the home non-NBC playoff games, they were only available through pay-per-view back then.

Given these parameters, Gene Peterson is far more "attached" to those championship teams, because for some of us... that's the only venue to had available.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Back in the day we always turned down the tv and listen to Peterson ,didn't matter who was calling the game .

11. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Hubie one of the handful who voted McHale 3rd for Coach of the Year. 3rd!? What a hater.

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I have always thought Hubie was knowledgeable and pretty unbiased, but I do admit -at times- this year he has seemed to be a little pro-whoever is playing the Rockets... and it seemed worse during the game the other night.

Being a fan who's pumped up about the playoffs, it's hard not to be sensitive to such things, but he did at times seem to be hoping the Mavs would get over, I thought, and it wasn't the first time this year I thought he was being that way. This was the first year I've ever thought that about Hubie, though.

13. jdjd

jdjd Member

Yeah this was the first year I actually noticed how horrible Hubie is. I think he used to be better, not sure if it's his age or some built in Houston hate, but he was pretty bad the other night. He appeared to be really disappointed when Dallas couldn't get over the hump on the come back. And was praising everything they did even while losing by as much as 19. He wouldn't give our guys any credit for anything they did positive. And he led the whining about the number of free throws Harden was taking. Funny I don't seem to remember such whining when Durant or Lebron won MVP shooting even more free throws, but they don't have beards.

GIVE ME JVG ANY DAY = Greatest Of All Time

14. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=264747

"Notably, Fran Blinebury, Sam Amick, and Hubie Brown voted for him."

LOL at all the opinions here who think Hubie is biased at the Rockets.

15. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I just don't see any anti-Rockets bias by Hubie. As people have said, he tends to talk about what teams playing behind need to do to catch up. If he sounds like he's pulling for the Rockets' opponents, I guess that's good for the Rockets because it means they're doing well in most of the games he calls.

I do think he's pretty bad when it comes to some of the replays. "Well, you see here he fouled him..." *Replay shows no foul* "A clean block..." *Replay shows guy getting his arm chopped in half*

16. Man

Man Contributing Member

Not sure what you all were listening to.. Hubie was giving props to the Rockets most of the night.. still alertly calling the game!

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Count me among those who like Hubie but think JVG is the best. If we could somehow have every game be Kevin Harlan doing PBP with JVG as color, that would be perfect.

18. clutz

clutz Member

Hubie didn't vote McHale 1st place. Clearly biased!

19. jdhu

jdhu Member

I like Hubie Brown, not sure why the dislike towards him. Seems fair, no discernible bias to me.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Hubie isn't biased. He is old and not as sharp as he used to be but he still seems impartial to me. He is still a hell of a basketball mind too.