1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JaVale McGee

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by clutch citizen, Jun 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

7-footer with a decent balance of power and finesse, but more on the power side.

Goes to the rim hard

Decent ball handles for his size

Decent jumpshot and passing

Defense is suspect I guess, but he's 7-feet and can move

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJilDqw8JOY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJilDqw8JOY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

Reminds me of a Patrick O'bryant/Andrew Bynum type of player. I dont think he will slip to our pick.

3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

lol Patrick O Bryan never got to play because of Nellie's small ball.. always thought he could be like a Stoudemire type player

4. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

This is who the latest realgm mock draft have the Rockets taking.

5. htownbball

htownbball Member

why not just sign patrick obryant then? he's an unrestricted FA

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's a steal if he falls to us.

poor showings in orlando and in private workouts have him slipping into the late teens / early 20's.

he's not just an athletic 7 footer, he has a mid range jumper and can beat bigs off the dribble.

he's more of a KG light....very light.

7. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

I do not know much about him. A month ago he was top ten and now he is slipping to us. Why?

Him and D. Jordon seem to have a similar issue that they do not have the drive to be great.

Really unless we can pick up a courtney lee in the early second round I think we are not addressing our biggest issues. Who scores besides Yao and T-mac?

There is one thing about picking a guy like that. If we have a plan B to get a scorer, trade for existing, trade for a pick, luck, then this makes sense. We need another Big who can move we could be a much quicker team with McGee, Landry, Green, Brooks, someone.

Just my cents,

Fierguard

8. htownbball

htownbball Member

he might be too much of a project. we need a solid backup who can take dikembe's place. i think we get too intrigued by this kid's upside that we forget that more than likely, he wont reach that ceiling. we need someone who is tenacious on the boards and blocks shots and defends the paint. he also needs to be able to run the floor. offensive game really isnt a need from our center.

we also still need a 6th man off the bench to backup Shane/TMac

9. htownbball

htownbball Member

i forgot to write my main concern with him. he's got alot of talent, no doubt, but does he have the toughness and mentality to really work down low? we need someone who is physical in the post and wont get pushed around. no finesse down low.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

#10 DaDakota, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

His fundamentals look good.

When he sets screens, he has a very wide base. He becomes a huge wall.

He knows how to seal his man off in the offensive post position.

He's crafty down low. It seems he always knows where the basket is, and he will get to it.

In the highlight video, I saw him bullying his way to the rim. I don't think his toughness should be questioned. It's there.

He really looks like Rasheed Wallace in the video.

The Rockets should take this guy if he's there. A project? Sure, but the Rockets still have Deke for another year.

12. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

13. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

In my opinion, McGee has HUGE BUST POTENTIAL.

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I feel the same way. He looks like the kind of kid that is long and lanky, who everyone hopes will master his own size and become a refined low post threat. They almost never do.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is raw,no doubt and could be a bust,My main concern is his defense is non-existent apart from his shot-blocking,He isn't a good rebounder either.
    I don't know what basketball people think about his work ethic.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Hard to call him a bust if he slips to 25 and ends up being average or serviceable. I really think you could plug pretty much anybody into Deke's role of blocking/altering shots, defending the paint, rebounding and scoring if you can.

Nothing against Deke, just saying what he does isn't all that challenging. I'd take a chance on a young player with fresh legs and upside like McGee.

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

mcgee'll get picked before jordan..... jordan's stock is plummeting, some projected him at late 1st round.

20. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

WE ARE NOT DRAFTING ANOTHER PF OR A C BECAUSE THAT PLAYER WILL NOT GET UP OFF THE WOOD.

Yao/Deke/
    scola/landry/hayes
    shane/novak
    tmac/head
    alston/brooks/bjax/francis

now you tell me...where do we need the biggest impact and help