1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq at it Again : Shaq: 'Whoever [changed ball] needs to be fired'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by magnomonkey, Oct 2, 2006.

1. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

MIAMI -- Heat center Shaquille O'Neal is no fan of the new basketballs to be used by the NBA this season, and isn't afraid to say so.

"It's the worst decision some expert, whoever did it, made. ... The NBA's been around how long? A hundred years? Fifty years? So to change it now, whoever that person is needs his college degree revoked. It's a terrible decision."
    -- Shaq on the NBA's new ball

"I think the new ball is terrible," O'Neal said Monday. "It's the worst decision some expert, whoever did it, made. ... The NBA's been around how long? A hundred years? Fifty years? So to change it now, whoever that person is needs his college degree revoked. It's a terrible decision."

It's only the second time in 60 seasons the NBA has changed its game balls, and the first time in 35 years.

The new model, the league said in a release, "is a microfiber composite with moisture management that provides superior grip and feel throughout the course of a game."

O'Neal, along with many of his Heat teammates, strongly disagree.

"Feels like one of those cheap balls that you buy at the toy store, indoor-outdoor balls," O'Neal said. "I look for shooting percentages to be way down and turnovers to be way up, because when the ball gets wet you can't really control it. Whoever did that needs to be fired. It was terrible, a terrible decision. Awful. I might get fined for saying that, but so what?"

Other factors cited by the league in changing the ball is so that ones used in games will be uniform throughout the league, and that the leather models needed a breaking-in period that won't be necessary with the composite.

"I don't like it, because it's different," Heat backup center Michael Doleac said. "You get used to something, you don't want to change it. ... But in three years, we'll probably all look back and not be able to imagine playing with anything else."

"But I think rebounds are going to go up this year. All around the league, I think there's going to be a lot of bricks thrown up there early on."
    -- Dwyane Wade on the new ball's effects

The new composite will be the third type of ball Heat guard Dwyane Wade will use in four months.

Last season's finals were played with the traditional leather ball, then the FIBA world championships used a ball that was slightly smaller than the NBA model -- something Wade spent most of the summer getting familiar with.

"Now I've got to make another adjustment with a ball that I haven't shot with at all and it's going to be a challenge," Wade said. "That means it's going to take a lot of late nights for me, I'll tell you that, to get really adjusted to the ball because I have no choice."

Wade said the biggest complaint players have with the new ball is the slippage factor, as in how much grip will be lost when players' hands sweat and that moisture gets on the ball.

"Hopefully over time, you'll hear nothing about it and we'll all stop complaining," Wade said. "But I think rebounds are going to go up this year. All around the league, I think there's going to be a lot of bricks thrown up there early on."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

2. magnomonkey

magnomonkey Member

At least we know his freethrows are going to be even worse this season.

3. Omer

Omer Member

I thought the new ball had better grip? Way back when it was released wasn't that what a lot of the players were saying?

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

i agree with dwane and shaq. i have a composite leather basketball, they have good grip and all, but when your hands get sweaty you gotta wipe your hands and your ball or else it will slip out. if you look at high school school games, some refs wipe the ball every now and then with their shirt.

5. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

uh stop crying k thanks. its a ball, you have skills use them.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Shaq making excuses already by the sounds of it.

He's aware that this is the year Yao finally leaves no doubt he's the L's best big man.

But honestly, if the ball really is like one of those indoor/outdoor Spaldings, then damn thats gonna suck.

they dont even tend to bounce that well.

7. Genuine

Genuine Member

They have been good fro 35 years of professional basketball, why change them?

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't get why they changed them all of a sudden but i don't see how it really matters seeing how it affects everyone the same.

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I think it's funny to hear Shaq say all that... :D

But it's not like the ball will only be used in his games. :rolleyes:

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

You know, that's exactly what I thought it would feel like when they described it earlier this year. And those balls suck hard. Although I don't lose control with sweaty hands, I just don't like the massive amounts of grip compared with higher quality balls.

11. HeadsUp7Up

HeadsUp7Up Member

The material sucks, nothing beats a nice genuine leather ball. But the construction of the ball looked nice and compact. It's just the cheap material sucks. Sounds like one of those cheap toy balls.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Yao might have something to complain about next year when they try and slow his roll by introducing 11 foot high rims. :cool:

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is the same ball that MILLIONS of players use around the country in the local YMCAs.

No big whop !

DD

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Its his excuse for an even more atrocious FT % in the up coming season...

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I actually agree with Shaq on this one. What is the point of changing the balls?

Just stupid.

16. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Change is good for most of the times.. Let's give it a try.

17. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

If your an "NBA" quality player....It shouldnt be that big of a deal....How many times have you played with a different ball.....If its a new ball and isnt rubber, it shouldnt matter. All Shaq does is dunk anyway, why does he care. When Ray Allen or Steve Nash complain, then I'll listen.

18. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

It didn't seem to affect last years NBA All-Star game. That's the same ball they used.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

LIke it or not...you cant hate on the leather

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the heat are cry babies.

everyone has to play with the same ball. it's not a dissadvantage to them.

maybe FG% will be down, maybe to's will be up. one thing is for sure, everyone will be affected the same way and so the best team will still win.