1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At the least, we are neck and neck with the Mavs (we shouldn't be too concerned)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by notthefullquid, Apr 18, 2005.

1. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

As we all were thinking Saturday, "please, God, don't make us play San Antonio" in the first round, I was also almost as concerned playing the Mavs, thinking the 6th seed was our only hope and not exactly wanting a 5th seed either.

I look back at the Mavs' record since March 11, the first game Dirk came back after sitting out a few games, and it's been a blistering 17-3. Not bad, and pretty scary. I look at our record since that day and it's been 14-6, pretty damn good itself. The combined records of Mavs' opponents have been 754-850 since March 11, and for us it's been 830-770. Everyone was cautious about hailing us as playoff contenders before the All-Star break because we had, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the hardest schedule in the league. Aside from that New Orleans game, we've been pretty tight and solid, all amidst the loss of our starting PF, and our losses have come against quality teams. Don't just look at the opponents' records...the Mavs have had a pretty soft schedule for the past month, but as I know they've had injuries themselves, they've weathered it quite nicely. But look at what our team has been doing in that same stretch, and I don't know how dumbass Tolbert can completely discount us against the Mavericks and say we don't have a chance...at least Musberger said it'd be a 7-gamer. I'm not just using them as my gauge though; people seem to think Dallas is a lot stronger because of their defense, an oxymoron even with their new lineup. Dirk's great, but we have shut him down before, and it can be done. The road trip for Yao, being that it's in Texas, also bodes well for his stamina. I feel confident in saying that the Mavs present the same problems as a healthy Seattle, so to me, I'll take either one of them. It irritates me that people have forgotten what a difficult schedule we've had since the break.

2. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

3. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

The thing about the Mavs are that they are no longer a one-dimesional team. To say that their "defense is strong" is a oxymoron is probably too extreme. They have gotten better defensively. Not only that they got fearless young players (J. Howard and M. Daniels), a damn good point guard, and they have a very deep bench. They're no longer just an offensive team; they are deep, quick, can go big and can go small. That being said, I have to agree with you that it's too easy to underestimate a healthy Sonics team. Anywayz, I like the way JVG is having his team approach the playoff matchup issues...in other words, just win as many damn games as you can and go about business as usual.

4. RocketsFAN3035

I want to start playing today!!!:mad:

5. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

not to look too far ahead, but should we get past Dallas (if we play them to begin with), do we not get to play the winner of Suns/Grizzlies? Not a bad proposal to me.

6. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

could someone post the article in its entirety as I dont like to register for newspapers I would never read more than once.

Thanks,

J

7. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

LOS ANGELES – It's not official yet, but the Mavericks are prepared for an Interstate 45 first-round series with the Rockets.

From a wear-and-tear perspective, the Mavericks would be thrilled with a series against Houston – if for no other reason than to avoid the three-hour flights to and from Sacramento.

But in terms of matching up with the Rockets, the Mavericks will wait until Houston has clinched the No. 5 seed. The Mavericks are locked into No. 4.

More Mavericks
    "They're playing some awfully good basketball right now," Avery Johnson said. "I would expect it to be a really tough series, if it happens. I would expect it would [go to] a seven-game series."

If the Rockets win their last two games, they will be the Mavericks' opponent in the first round even if they finish tied with Sacramento.

Changes coming: The Mavericks are considering a roster move, but it would have no impact on the playoff roster. Several players are battling aches and pains, and it's possible that D.J. Mbenga, Pavel Podkolzin or both could be activated for the last game or two.

"In evaluating our team, if we're in a situation where somebody's injury is substantial around that time, we're considering a lot of stuff," Avery Johnson said, adding that rest for ailing players and evaluation of the two rookie big men would be the motivation behind any move.

No center of attention: Certain things have changed since Avery Johnson took over and one of them is that Dirk Nowitzki no longer plays center. And he won't.

"He's not a center," Johnson said. "That's an experiment that you won't see anymore."

Don Nelson often gave Nowitzki a few minutes at center, sometimes out of necessity.

Bradley on the rise: At least, that's what the Mavericks hope. Shawn Bradley had a season-best 15 points Thursday, and he made a quick impact Sunday by blocking a shot by Jumaine Jones late in the first quarter.

However, Bradley picked up three fouls in four minutes, reminding Avery Johnson of the wild inconsistencies in his game.

The Mavericks have learned to live with the 7-6 center's erratic play. But Jerry Stackhouse doesn't see any reason Bradley can't have an impact regularly.

"It's huge when he plays like that and to say he can't do it every night, I don't think that's fair," Stackhouse said. "When he's rebounding and changing shots, he's very effective and we need that in these next few games and into the playoffs."

Bradley said his goal is to contribute "whether I'm out there for one minute, like the other night [in Seattle] or 16 or 17 minutes."