1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Samsung Galaxy S - does anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 4, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I bought this Samsung Galaxy S android phone - I quite like the features, etc. - however, one total killer is that it randomly turns itself off at the most inopportune times, and I can only turn it on again by taking out the battery and putting it in again. I googled this and found that there seem to be tons of people in Germany who have the same problem. How can they throw something like that on the market where it is obviously not an uncommon problem? :confused: Just wondering if anyone else had similar problems...also wondering if a firmware update could actually help, or if I should just swap it for a new one, or possibly return it outright and get a different brand model.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Just realized that it might be marketed under different names by the operators in the US. I think it is the T-Mobile Vibrant.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Yup...I got this problem.

Also:

Dropped connection at least a few dozen times a day
    No connection
    Internet crashes constantly. Some times every few seconds.
    GPS does not work.

Oh yea...when someone texts me it shows as an incoming text from a completely different person.

I got a new handset today so shall see if it has the same problem. I swear to god if I win the lotto tonight I am breaking this phone with my bear hands and then boiling the parts before flushing this pos down the toilet.

1 person likes this.
  4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Never messed with one of those phones, but your problem sounds like it could be an issue with the battery not sitting snugly enough against the contacts -- try wedging a little piece of folded paper in there to make it tighter. Might solve your problem. I had a similar issue with my phone after purchasing an aftermarket extended battery and that solved it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chopped

Chopped Member

4 people like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Oh yes - I had a dropped connection during a really important call the other day, which was annoying and embarrassing - and the GPS doesn't seem too work too many times, too. I had almost forgotten about that. The more I think about it, I should really return this phone. Get an iphone instead?

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

roflmmfao! classic. :grin:

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nice, I probably deserved that ;). Repped! Thanks!

Edit: Oh wow... :eek:

[Q] Why my Galaxy S turns it self off!!! ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
    Originally Posted By: Essayli

Today 11:11 PM
    by brunes
    Replies: 266
    Views: 13,504

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

According to this, new firmware (at least from Sep. 22) doesn't appear to solve the problem. It also appears to be an issue with the American version (Vibrant).

Some other suggestions I read not working include removing the battery for a prolonged period of time. Someone did a factory reset to no avail, too.

It seems like a widespread unsolved problem. The going theory appears to be it occurs during bad reception. My guess is that getting a different brand is the only option until Samsung releases a proper firmware fix. I'd still update the firmware first, just to make sure. If it still sucks after that, get a different model.

Do they have the G2 in Europe? That phone makes me happy in the pants (and I have a Nexus One).

As someone mentioned, XDA is great. Here's a relevant thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=775017

Apparently it's some doofy app that Samsung put on it.

1 person likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Mine crashes about once every two days or so.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks TSchmal. We can be friends outside the D&D :grin:.

I was going to wait for the Samsung phone with the keyboard, but I was traveling and my Nokia E71 would not turn on anymore, so I bought this one at the airport. If it did not have the aforementioned flaws, it would be really nice. What angers me is that I already bought some software for it (like the Slingplayer which looks awesome on this phone), and when I return it/reinstall everything, I guess I lost that money.

12. Depressio

I'm a software developer, so I know technology and try to chime in when I can. :p

I was thinking about ranting on how Samsung is bastardizing Android, but that's another topic for another day. You might just deal with the phone until the G2 gets to Germany -- it's unbastardized Android from HTC. Excellent phone, unless you don't want the keyboard.

Software purchased from the Android Market is tied to your Google account, I think. So, if you switch Android phones but use the same account, I think you just have to re-download the software.

13. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

No you didn't, it'll carry over to any Android device, even if it's a different manufacturer. As long as it's Android.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks, great advice!

Just remembered one other stupid thing this phone does - sometimes it goes into a "loop of death"...it turns itself off, the startup screen will come up and it will go through the startup routine, then it turns itself off again, turns itself on again and goes through the startup routine, then turns itself off again....aaaaaah.... :mad: :mad:

15. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

It's called the Desire Z in Europe. It has Sense UI overlayed instead of the standard Android theme unlike the G2.

16. Depressio

Bastards. Maybe their next phone in Europe? The best Android phones are those without some bastardization (SenseUI, whatever Samsung does, etc.).

17. Depressio

After browsing this XDA thread, the consensus seems to be it has something to do with data network connectivity. When the phone loses it, it turns off. This is really stupid and Samsung is a pile of fail for this.

Possible solutions:

- turn off APN (mobile network). You need to download an app called "APN On/Off" for this. Of course, your 3G network won't work so you'll have to rely on WiFi.

- Firmware update. A few people report not having this issue at all and that it was possibly a bug in the Sep. 20 firmware.

It's curious that such a problem could make it into production. Samsung's quality is in serious question, IMO... my Samsung monitor died a week or two ago, and my other one has a ton of dead pixels. I still say if new firmware doesn't work, switch to something like the Desire Z.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Yep, I had a G1 (Tmobile) a few years ago, and just got a Hero (Sprint) and it remembered that I had already purchased the software, and didn't make me repay for it.

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Get it replaced with the Manufacturers warranty... If nothing else you get a newer model.

20. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Do you have an Android phone?

I am interested in seeing what the home screen of folks sporting stock Android look like. I have an HTC Aria and there is a CM6 build of stock Android on XDA, but I haven't given it try yet because of school and because I don't know how the home screen would look without SenseUI. I love the Sense clock.

But the Aria definitely needs 2.2.