1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I WAS WRONG!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MadMax, Apr 26, 2004.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If I ever hated on Steve...I was wrong.

If I ever called on the Rockets to trade him...I was wrong!

Wrong.....wrong......wrong!

I've had a love/hate thing with Steve for some time. Playoff Steve is exactly what I hoped Steve would become....and it's all through heart and hard work.

I freaking love this guy. And this team is just gutty. I don't know if it's a championship team or not...but it's EASY to root for. And it's been a long time since I've felt that way about the Rockets.

2. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

This team has Championship material cuz they play defense. But I don't like Taylor though. He's too 1 dimensional. When you give him the ball, he's going to shoot that's it. Never going to pass. Even if team double team him, he still going to shoot and forcing bad shots...that's too 1 dimensional. They should trade him.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I've seen him try to pass a few times.....he's better off just shooting.

4. AGBee

AGBee Member

Like the pass that he launched into the 2nd row? Or the one where he dumped it onto Yao's head?

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

hey - I think that they needed this playoff series to go this way so that some of the values JVG is teching might sink in. Maybe if the Rox had made the playoffs Dreems last year (when they won 45) the experience would have helped them become better - sooner. But they didn't, we got Ming, and now the Rockets are look ready to get a few lessons.

At least they are not playing like Memphis, Boston, or NY !

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The truth is however that the defense will be played by any Jeff Van Gundy team, as much as Steve Francis supporters don't want to credit him. Francis has not been a great defender throughout his career.

Sometimes success in the playoffs, even if it's just a little, can make a team grow a lot. You realize how intense the games are and how important every game in the regular season is to get homecourt. So Stevie's strong play in the playoffs, for the most part, does inspire hope.

But as I've said before, this team "turns more corners" than a labyrinth, and manages to take the same number of "steps back". No one but Yao and probably Jim Jackson should be safe this offseason ... if the right deal comes along the Rockets should consider making any change necessary.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You must have missed his last TO that iced it for the Lakers...

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Like I said . . .I'm like this Fools Gold we getting
    I hope we buy enough for next season

:D

I think the major thing is . .. . We waiting for YAO
    to turn a corner. . . . He is doing great but we see he can
    be greater . . . . esp when SHaq on the bench
    He won't be MALONED forever

I think we need a Powerfoward with the COMBO skills
    of Cato and Mo . . .
    I like Cato on the bench Backing the 5/4
    and would live with MO T backing up the 4
    If we can get a nice 4 and a backup 3
    [I would not be overly upset if we got a nice
    starting 3 and had Mobley come off the bench]

We set

We need a 4
    and some depth

Rocket River

9. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

you're the man clutch. glad to see that someone still has a long range perspective.

10. Juugie

Juugie Member

Yeah, Yip.

Maybe one day many years down the line, Yao may actually step up in a playoff game.

If Yao has all this "dominate the league" ability hidden somewhere, he should definitely feel free to pull it out on Wednesday.

Or maybe we'll see a long range of barely making the playoffs and then hoping someone doesn't play Yao too rough once we get there - hell, we may even win a game. He has shown me SOOO much this series that gives me hope he'll be able to carry team to a ring. Coming up with clutch rebounds, making the huge block to win the game, fighting for position and delivering in the post. Wait, I'm sorry, I was watching the wrong channel.

Getting stripped of the ball, having his shot blocked, being pushed out to half court by Karla, being outrebounded by the point guard, watching Kobe come down the lane with impunity.

Yao reminds me of the guy that's an all-star in flag football, but as soon as guys start hitting, he's no where to be seen.

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Juugie... I understand that you love Steve Francis. I like him too, just not as much as you. But what I fail to understand is how that can cause you to have a blind, seething hatred of Yao.

You know what I had a whole argument written. But forget it. Steve's the one who gives us hope for the future, so are you. Yao stinks. We're lucky we made the playoffs with him. Because I know without him, and his getting block, ball stole, outrebounded by earl boykins, and getting pushed out to the opponent's half of the court, we would have been first seed.

We should just trade him for Vitaly Potapenko now... at least that guy competes.

You disgust me.

One more thing, please do not call me Yip, that's not my name.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you must have missed the fact the rockets are 7th seed playing a 2 seed.

you must have missed the 4th quarter comeback to tie it up..including big buckets by Francis down the stretch.

you must have missed the improved play of francis.

you must have missed the fact this is the guy's first playoff series, EVER.

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Juugie;

Weren't you going to declare a playoff truce on bashing Yao?

For me I'm too pissed at thug Malone to be casting blame on any of the Rox.

14. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

The key here is "if the right deal comes along". Teams always look for improvement, they will trade anyone, include Yao, if they can get better returns.

When make a trade, you need to step back to look at the whole season, and the potential for the future. Has the team made enough progress so far this season? Are they moving towards the direction as expected? If the answer is YES, then you need to give them a couple more years to further that progress. If the answer is NO, then you need to make some serious roster shuffle.

My feeling is this team is making progress with the current roster, but not improve as mych as they should be. This playoff will be a huge factor in their development chart, speed their progress towards the ultimate goal, a championship. Next year will be very critical for the development of this team. If they act just like this year, then we should seriously think about remake the team.

15. Nautic

Nautic Member

Right on target.

16. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

True, but as has been pointed out, almost everyone made a crucial mistake down the stretch.

On top of which, there's more to a basketball game than the last two minutes. I guarantee that in the film sessions, Van Gundy's showing the guys 15 situations during the game where they could have made a big play that would have given them a margin for error down the stretch-- which they need, badly.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Down 3-1, I already think that SF has probably learned more in these 4 games than he has his entire career. Even though its not over, I think this team has really figured out how we need to play.

I said the playoffs would really clarify a lot of things going on with the Rox.

1. SF- Can still lead this team, even though down 3-1, he's shown his leadership and play that could lead us to down the road.

2. Yao- Not quite ready, but getting there. Really needs to work on strength: Mentally and Physically.

3. Cat- Really has buckled under the pressure, he made huge shots in OT, but we need him to knock down those 3's. We've seen how much the Rox rely on 3-pointers.

4. JJ- Not superman, but has played very well.

5. Cato- Need a huge upgrade at starting PF, hasn't played that bad, but we need more out of our PF, especially in the WC.

Unless, some HUGE trade is offered, Yao-SF-JJ-Cato (backup C) should be back. Signing Barry and making a deal for a real PF could really help this team.

18. Stardog75

Stardog75 Member

Same 'ol Stevie Blunder! Makes some great plays....shoots some air balls.....dribbles the game away! I'd take a guy that averaged 12pts and 10assts if he were more of a solid PG!

19. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Someone said that the Lakers are the best matchup for the Rockets, and I think I agree. Steve had big games against the Lakers this season. I think he deserves all the credit in the world for the way he's stepped up this series, but I don't think the problems he's been criticized for have been solved or anything. A core of Yao, Steve, and a point/shooter type might work, but Steve's weaknesses will remain.

I don't think anyone should be safe this offseason except for Yao, and only because we can't get a similar-type franchise big man in return. If Steve remains, our backcourt needs to be retooled with players that complement his strengths and compensate for his poor decision making skills. As much as I like Cat and JJ, perhaps more so than Stevie, I'm skeptical that a Steve, Cat and JJ 1-2-3 will work long-term.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think it will work long-term. JVG tried his best with what he had, but the 3-guard 2-center system won't work.

Also, I think breaking up Steve/Cat backcourt would really help Steve more. Cat has played well this season, but his shot selection is still questionable.