1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officiating this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RHU525, Nov 19, 2015.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Does anyone feel like the NBA is out to get the Rockets/Harden/Dwight. Almost like they are making a point to not let us mess up there dream match ups this year(Clips/Warriors/Spurs). I try my hardest to not complain about it, but this year has been really bad.

Every little touch foul on a jump shooter or driver on the Rockets gets called. Terry has been called for this at least 10 times.

Every foul on Dwight somehow gets upgraded to Flagrant. It's like they just want him to move out the way.

Everytime they go to the video to review I already know something bad is going to happen tot he Rockets.

Surprised the Rockets were able to pull out a win yesterday with the amount of missed calls. (Brewer and 1, Dwight alley oop, Dwight Flagrant, Terry touch fouls). This is getting borderline unwatchable.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't know about this year, but last night in the 4th, Dwight got screwed with the Flagrant 1, Portland committed a borderline flagrant (if Dwight's was a flagrant) on Brewer for a no-call when it should have been and-1 and the Harden "charge" on Lillard with one foot in the air jumping to the right was a joke.

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Nope. The Rockets just need to shut their mouths, get down to business, and play ball.

This is not a good time for fans to start complaining about our treatment in the media or any perceived slights by the league or it's officials.

Just do your business, and claw your way out of this sinkhole.

4. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Cant blame refs for 3-20pt losses, an 18 pt loss, a 16 pt loss on refs. However, yesterday's game was annoying to watch. Lots of one-sided calls. Surprised Harden got to the line so many times.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Relax bro, I'm not really on the team - I paid the NBA to watch League Pass.

If I see a bad sequence of blown calls like last night that all went against the Rockets, I will note it as I see fit.

#yourenotthebossofme

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I agree. Poor Dwight gets a flagrant every-game. I'm not sure how he holds his composure. He's definitely more mild mannered than myself.

As for Harden, fortunately refs are able to hear the slaps otherwise they wouldn't call ****.

7. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

The way they officiate Dwight is infuriating, but we aren't losing because of the refs.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are officiating Harden much differently. He doesn't get the barreling into the lane calls anymore.

And he is getting called for offensive fouls more often.

DD

9. bmd

bmd Member

It does seem like calls tend to go against the Rockets more than they get a break. Especially with Dwight. He gets hammered and they don't call anything.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He got a few those last night. He gets a lot of calls. I think Dwight does get screwed a lot.

11. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

What are the guidelines for using the replay center? Seems they use it once or twice a game. There would be so many overturned calls if it were used more often. But then again, it could overturn in the favor of the opposing team.

12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Dwight needs to start flopping. It gets frustrating watching people flop all over him

13. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Officiating against the Rockets has been especially bad so far this season, but at the end of the day, the Rockets just need to persevere and push through it.

It did feel like the refs were doing everything they could to hand the Rockets another loss, though... the Harden charge on Lilly, the phantom call on Terry, the phantom call on Dwight, and the no-call on Brewer's lay-up attempt were all especially bad - especially considering the tech called against Dwight.

14. bmd

bmd Member

This too. Dwight seems to pick up at least 2 fouls per game where someone on the other team just blatantly flops against him away from the basket. Whether he's setting a screen or even just running up the court.

Those are annoying because he will have to sit because he'll get in foul trouble over things he didn't even do.

Other teams purposely flop on him so that he picks up fouls and has to leave the game in foul trouble.

The refs do everything they can to minimize Dwight's impact on the game as much as possible.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

there is definitely a separate set of officiating rules for dwight.

defenders are allowed to constantly bump him off the block with their knees/forearms, grab at his arms in the paint, lock his arms on rebounds, and swipe after he secures rebounds. and if he uses his strength in the least to push back (even with the ball in his hands making a simple play) it's an automatic offensive foul. they also don't hesistate to ring him up for moving picks to no end. he gets as many in one nite as golden state does in a month.

on the other end any contact on the opponent at the rim and they mark it for flagrant foul review.

and then we have the agitator/instigator teams, whose primary defensive strategy against dwight is to draw techs by constantly referencing the kupchak on akeem template. this was bogut's main goal in the GS series. steven adams has also been successful in the past.

16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

NBA listens to their fans. Every other fanbase hates us, Dwight and Harden. Refs now call those stupid offensive fouls on Howard that don't apply to other bigs in the league. Refs don't call all the fouls on Harden because other fans hate fts. It's pretty stupid.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dwight does get punished for being a big dude. He also isn't widely loved, so sometimes those "50-50" calls are more "50-50-90"; if it's a 50-50 call, 90% of the time it'll go against him.

Last night the refs weren't doing us any favors, to be sure. Who knows? When there's blood in the water some people will throw some chum in there with you. Maybe the refs weren't going to side with the "guys who got beloved Hall of Famer McHale fired".

As for the season so far? Refs haven't needed to side against us. Our players did that to themselves.

18. ibm

ibm Member

when they first introduced replays and stuff, i thought they'd cleaned it up a little. but it's getting worse, not better. idk why.

19. skoo9382

skoo9382 Member

The officiating has been pretty atrocious if you ask me, but then again i can be seen as a homer. We get to see all 82 games in the season plus playoffs if we're lucky. We're going to see a lot more fouls called against us rather than for us by pure more exposure. That all being said.....there's always different rules for big men. Remember when Yao was here? he would get murdered in the paint with no fouls. And 29 teams in the NBA have probably sent video of James Harden doing his "crafty" moves. More limelight for James Harden is a double edged sword. When you're on top, everyone is looking to bring you down one way or another.

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I never blamed the officiating for the losses, but as a fan even when we are down 20 I still get rather upset with missed calls.

On the other hand, I can see how it affects the players. In most of our losses, it seems like a bad call completely swung all the momentum and we just gave up. I wonder if it is part of the reason why Harden gives less effort.

Against the Mavs, Harden offensive foul flagrant 1... terrible
    Against the Celtics, Terrence Jones, Harden Technicals on what should have been a Delay of Game on Amir Johnson.

I cringe every time the refs get together to review.