1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bernie Sanders at Hoffheinz at U of H Sunday Night !!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jul 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Were I in Houston, instead of on Isla Mujeres, or where I live, Austin, the blue speck in Central Texas, I'd certainly go to hear what the gentleman has to say. I suggest that anyone living in Houston take the time to go and listen to the man. Even if you don't subscribe to his politics, it would be extremely interesting. Sorry that I'm missing him. I'll be in Houston for a friend's birthday in early August. Pity that he isn't hitting Houston on his tour then.

3. glynch

Love Isla Mujeres. Still unspoiled enough?

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Does Sanders really believe he can throw sand in the Hillary machine much less stop it from dragging the Democratic Party into oblivion?

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, this isn't exactly the Weimar Republic; I think both 150+ year old parties will be fine if we can keep the GDP north of 15 tril.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I sure hope so. He's the only candidate who would at least push for real reform on a number of large issues that need to be addressed (big money in politics, affordable education and others).

If its Hillary, Bush, Cruz, Trump or any of the others it will be business as usually.

7. Buck Turgidson

Dude, quit being so proud of yourself.

8. Nook

Nook Member

You are getting old and out of touch. The Tea Party thing was cute in a cranky old person get off my lawn kind of way. Then we had the Obama is a Kenyan Muslim. Now recently you have said Obama hates white people and now it is Hillary dragging the Democratic Party into oblivion.

Perhaps have your blood pressure medicine checked, it seems to have cut off oxygen to your brain.

9. glynch

Real. populism scare you? Prefer the type that hates immigrants and health care for those who can't afford it.

10. thumbs

Glynch, I have more respect and a bigger comfort zone with Sanders than Hillary. Even though I disagree with him on every fundamental level, he, unlike Hillary, seems to have consistent principles and scruples.

11. thumbs

I check my blood pressure and my sugar levels three times per day. I'd be curious to know the drug levels in your bloodstream to cause on such a constant rage regarding people with whom you disagree.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'd be more excited about it if your title had three !!!.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Because I've lived in Austin for 35 years? What's there to be proud of? Our state government, which is controlled by a bunch of Republican and "tea party" extremists? The traffic on MOPAC being as bad as I-35 now? The 100 people a day moving here? The endless condo towers filling downtown that maybe 10% of the people here can afford, if that? The non-stop building over the aquifer? The continued interference of the legislature in Austin's local governmental decisions?

You tell me. What do I have to be proud of regarding Austin?

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

bravo sir

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Austin is getting Dallasy.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Like any big city: college libraries, live theater and some kind of donut shop, somewhere, open at 2:00 in the morning.

17. AkeemTheDreem86

Anyone know if this i on tv in Houston? Stream maybe?

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You forgot the complete lack of culture like museums, art galleries, theater, and symphonies.

19. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

I got to see Bernie at the pavilion yesterday, and I must say I came away very impressed. He pretty much hit the nail on a multitude of issues ranging from the environment, to social inequality, to the economy, etc.

I have to say however that I'm not a big fan of his proposed 15 dollars an hour minimum wage.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm usually a big defender of Austin and the lifestyle here. Just sick and tired of Mopac being screwed up with the construction of a couple of toll/express lanes on the northern part of the highway, and my usual shortcuts are being discovered by people desperate for an alternative. That, and Buck pissed me off. Haven't a clue as to why he threw a grenade at me.

I actually love living in Austin. We have an excellent theatre scene and some nice galleries. There are lot of creative people living here. The music scene is still top notch and cheap, if you go to clubs. We have one of the best bookstores in the country with BookPeople. Not too surprising, since we buy more books per capita than any other major city in the country, or did the last time I checked. Just wish the growth would slow down and the ****ing Lege would leave us alone.

#20 Deckard, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015