1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Finally, the real truth about Olajuwon's age.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET!!!, Aug 3, 2001.

1. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

I just had dinner with an associate visiting here from Nigeria.

We started talking basketball (naturally). I mentioned Hakeem and his leaving.

He said, "It is a good thing he is gone."

I said, "Yea, he is getting old. 38 with bad knees isn't worth the money he was asking."

He shook his head side to side with a knowing look.

I responded, "Yea, I know he is actually probably a couple of years older than that."

He laughed and retorted, "Try five."

I exclaimed, "FIVE!" :eek:

He, of course, he laughed at me and said, " Yes, he was the same age as me when we were in school."

I just shook my head.

$17.0 mil for 3 years for a 43 year old is WAY too much!

We have definately been played by Hakeem. :mad:

I just can't help, but know that CD and Rudy T knew his real age.

Kudos for the wise decision guys!

2. red

red Contributing Member

interesting...

3. rock

rock Member

Are you serious?

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Who cares. He still kicked butt the second half of last year. Age does not matter.

5. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

Unbelivable

6. Valio!

Valio! Member

Maybe he went to school with a different Hakeem Olajawon.

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Maybe he was thinking of Hakeem Olajuwan.

8. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I don't believe this story.

I am not saying I don't believe ROCKET!!!, but I think his dinner companion is pulling his leg.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I also find 5 years too much of a discrepancy to be accurate. I'm not saying it isn't possible and Rocket!!!'s source could very well be on the money, but 5years? From what I understand, Hakeem's family back in Nigeria has always been relatively well off. There would be too many ppl in the know over there, his numerous other classmates for instance, for there to have been no mention of this in the past 20yrs. There would have been too many envious of his wealth back in his social circles for such news to have remained dormant so long. Maybe a year or two, but 5 I think not.

10. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

I got this same information about two weeks ago. A friend of mine (who's not really a basketball fan but a Houstonian) met a guy at work whose brother was in the same school class with Olajuwon back in Lagos.

The guy's brother is 44.

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

OMG! :D

Now THAT's a heck of a coincidence. Isn't it amazing how people of African descent do not appear to age? When people asked Dikembe about his age, he joked about his youthfulness and said that his father is 80 yet looks as if he's in his 50s.

BTW, if this is true, it was an incredibly well kept secret. I could understand someone fibbing about their age if they'd just transferred over straight to the pros, but why go through the trouble of fibbing through college? Was Dream's destiny to the NBA a well managed affair? Is there an organization that recruits Africans, and coaches them to lie about their age in the same way we see agents lie about a player's height?

interesting indeed.

12. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Achebe: My tale regards 2 guys being classmates. The only coinicidence is that I was in Houston two weeks before this thread appeared.

My friend's story was months old when I inquired.

BTW, I can imagine UofH lying by assumption easily. It doesn't seem right to be fielding 23-year old freshmen unless they are military discharged!

13. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Sorry, Guys/Gals, that I was unable to respond after posting this last night. I was really waxed after a very long day and evening (I don't do well with late dinners). However, my first thought when I got home was to post this information.

Rodney,
    No BS here. The guy was serious as a heart attack.

Pippendagimp,
    1. There has been talk regarding Hakeem's age for years. I was just as surprised as you. I always figured the difference was 1 or 2 years, but FIVE! Astounding.
    2. I know envy is not the case in this situation. I can assure you this guy is supremely wealthy (long-term familial wealth). Hence, why we are doing business with him (overseas finance).

Achebe,

Apparently, this is not an incredibly well kept secret. My understanding is everyone knows in Nigeria. It is just that nobdy cares. He is a national hero you know.

You answered your own statement. Not many college coaches at the time would accept a 24 year old freshman. Once Guy V. saw Hakeem play, I don't think he cared about his age enough to find the truth. He had visions of national championships dancing in his head (justifiably so!).

14. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

That is interesting. But think about it, Hakeem still played well with his age. I wonder if he will look to be the first 50 year old player in the league. ;)

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm torn between two considerations.

1) I've been wondering for several years why Hakeem seems to have declined at an earlier age and more precipitously than other, less gifted big men have declined. This would explain it.

2) As anyone who has ever fallen for one of the hundreds of fraudulent investment schemes in that country will tell you: Never take the word of a Nigerian "businessman" at face value.

Let's hear who these "associates" of yours are.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

What was Charles Barkley's quote, something about, "I think they write that stuff in the sand over there."

17. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Will,
    Due to confidentiality agreements, I can not release very much information. What I can tell you is, we are selling bonds on the international market and this guy's group is backing them for financial viability. Nuf said?!

I agree with both you and Stevierebel,

I am amazed he played so well at an older age, but it does explain the quick drop off.

Just a though, it would also explain 93-95. Hakeem hit his career peak those years. That was rather late in his career (post 8 years in the NBA).

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Hmm... I'm dubious. Robert Parish was the oldest guy to ever play in the NBA, at age 43. He was a bit player for the Bulls that year.

If it's true that Hakeem is 43, that makes his accomplishments that more amazing. The most dominant player in the NBA at the age of 36 - 37. Third team All-NBA at the age of 41. Add to that the assortment of injuries he's had over the course of his career, and it would really be an amazing accomplishment!

19. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Sounds very legit to me! Obviously, they knew Hakeem very well, but for one thing, He sure looks good for a 43 year old man, who can still compete at this level. Good info Rocket!!!:)

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'm starting to believe this...of course it could be a farce, but I doubt it.