1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mutombo's retirement ceremony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YugoRocketsFan, Mar 24, 2008.

1. YugoRocketsFan

As you know Mutombo is retiring after this season, glad to see him retire a Rocket , his retirement ceremony will be during the T-Wolves - Rockets game on wednesday, which I will go to.

It'll be just like the Carroll Dawson thing, cept his jersey wont be retired.

2. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

he's retiring? I don't recall any news of that.. if there is.. could someone post a link. thanks

3. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Was there some official announcement that he will retire? Last I heard Morey asked Deke to come back another year and he said he would think about it...

4. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

is it finally official? last i heard he was going to consider playing next year during the off season. morey has asked him to return next year.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Do you know something we don't?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think the ceremony is just in case. Probably why the Rockets haven't made a very big deal of promoting it. It appears he is leaning towards coming back from what I can see. I think Olajuwon had a retirement ceremony type deal where they gave out the bobble heads. Next year he was a Raptor.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The retirement was planned long ago. Deke hasn't announced he will come back. I suspect he will come back but I guess management wants to honor him just in case he doesn't return. That's okay with me.

8. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Clyde and Bill were talking about it at the game tonight. Clyde seemed to think it likely that Deke would be back next year, but that there was going to be a ceremony at Wed. night's game. Strange, but true.

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

is it more like Dikembe Mutombo Appreciation Night?

10. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well....maybe the OP knew something we don't know. ;)

But as of 2 weeks ago, in an interview with Wang Meng of the Titan Sports, all Uncle Mutombo was saying

• If he had to make the decision right there and then, he will stick to what he planned beginning of the season.....and that is retirement. :(
    • But he also left a tail to say he will have to discuss it thoroughly with his wife and children whether he will return for another season.
    Personally, wish Uncle Mutombo could stay for another year. He deserves a ring next year, when Big Yao returns and leads the Rockets to the final ultimate pinnacle in the new season.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

Doggone it, guess we'll just have to win it all so Deke can go out on top!

12. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Will Big Yao come in his crutches to pay respect to Uncle Mutombo on his retirement? :confused:

13. tracymcgrady001

IMO, I think Mutombo will come back next year.

14. double uk

double uk Member

really? on wednesday??
    i hope he will keep fighting next season. Uncle is great defenser. we dont wanna lose a good leader.

15. JonBainAramsey

I think the reason he still plays basketball and that he will still play basketball for not only next season, but for seasons to come is so he can make more money to donate to his charities

16. stefaniewonder

stefaniewonder New Member

That's what i want~~~

17. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

If Mutombo is happy playing, can still play at a high level, and the money is going to his charity, then I'd think it's an absolute crime for him to retire.

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Just another marketing props for the the rockets.

19. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I love what Deke brings, but if I were the Rockets, I would wait and see who else is out there...my dream would be for ZO to return for another season and go after him since the Heat are in complete rebuilding mode. ZO is younger, blocks shots, rebounds and can actually score unlike Deke.

20. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

he s retiring?