1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Phone Service Do You Use? (Land Line)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TraJ, Aug 13, 2007.

1. TraJ

TraJ Member

I'm thinking about switching from AT&T, but I'd like to get input from people who use other services.

2. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

you should look into VOIP.

i use packet8 but lots of ppl here use Vonage. only drawbacks are limited 911 tracing (can't tell where you called from) and when power/internet is down, phone is down.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

VoIP is great value offering but ...

If your broadband goes down, you aint got no phone. My VoIP provider forwards calls to my cell phone when it can not connect (ie broadband is down). This can be quite humorous to call home and land in my cell phone mailbox.

4. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

"Land Line?"

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I haven't had a land line since I was in college

6. TraJ

TraJ Member

A "land line" is traditional phone service as opposed to wireless.

VoIP probably wouldn't work for me. I got rid of my cell phone awhile back, and I couldn't handle not having some kind of phone service if it went down.

7. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

In the past 10 years, I have regretted not having a land-line... maybe twice due to a dead cell-phone battery... But I've saved a crap-load of money in the process.

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I use VOIP at home and carry a cell phone. It saves me money and has worked perfectly fine for over a year now.

9. TraJ

TraJ Member

If I were single, I would probably just have a cell phone. I'm not. I have a family. My wife stays home with our daughter. She and I both like having a "home phone" and no longer want cell phones, except a pay-as-you-go emergency cell phone. If anyone has had a good experience with a particular "land line" company, I would appreciate hearing about it.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Currently AT&T but will be switching to Comcast next month.

11. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

What's wrong with your current set up with AT&T?

I have "metered line" service, only because I had to buy it to get DSL. I use VoIP for all calls though.

12. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

How much is metered service. We don't use the home phoen that often but keep it so that we always have a line plus the alarm works with it.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I too have the metered service with AT&T as my wife and I never use the land line but we wanted the internet. I think it comes out to about $15 a month after taxes, federal charges, etc.

14. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

What's a "land line"? I thought cell phones were the only form of telephone communication.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I used to have Lingo VOIP service but didn't use it enough to justify the service.

16. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

I am going to get a land line cause for some reason my sprint cell phone wont get service in my apartment in the middle of Houston....... Anybody have ne recommendations? also do I have to get dsl to voip? I cant get comcast digital phone cause I'm not supposed to have my internet modem at this address

17. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I'm in Austin, and my metered line access is a little over $15/month. I believe it gives you free incoming calls, and 25 local calls a month. I use my VoIP service for everything though because it has a lot more features and better international and long distance rates.

But it would be great to keep around for 911 and also faxes and alarm systems.