1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Keeps them out of other threads and provides a forum to educate the newbies about basic basketball.

2. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

can we please freeze this thread? We are on a winning streak.

3. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Stats without context. Parsons is a good facilitator for a wing player. When he does get turnover prone it tends to be due to him trying to do too much ball-handling though.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Good point

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I wonder how Mchale deals with days off with respect to resting or the intensity of practice. Obviously this is a young team so they need lots of practice, but it really does seem like our top players could use more rest. I thought harden Lin and parsons all looked gassed vs the nets last night

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Agreed.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Dude. Lin's religion has nothing to with anything.

Ball movement and execution was an issue last night and you could see/hear McHale asking his players multiple times to stop forcing the issue and move the ball.

Just after he did McHale again had voiced his displeasure with the lack off ball-movement, Lin and Parsons again tried to make things happen on their own, resulting in back-to-back turnover.
    McHale subsequently took them out, subbing in Beverley and Anderson.

Lin didn't have a good game at all and there's nothing wrong with McHale's criticism of Lin. It's totally fair. There's a fine line between being aggressive and being careless.
    Lin was careless last night and generally has a tendency to be so.
    Obviously you want him to be aggressive and attack, but he has to learn to be more opportunistic.

Now, whether or not you want McHale to be as frank about it is another story, though I for one think Lin is secure enough in himself to take it. Obviously, that's just an opinion and you can feel free to disagree.

I'm a big fan of D-Mo, but he nearly killed the Rockets in the 4th. He was a negative on both offense and defense, turning it over a bunch, getting blown by on D and seemingly not knowing some what to do and where to be on some possessions.

8. larry cook

larry cook Member

Masterful is Pop/Phil game assignments/playbook/rotations not Mchale, hes slow at adjusting his rotations to the game, hes doing ok for now but he gets a little out of hand with these small ball line ups. I understand playing to an advantage but sometimes he does it when we obviously need rebounds or getting crushed in the paint. For some reason when I look at ESPN they mention Mchale isn't a great coach or maybe isn't the best coach for the rockets preferring D' Tony. It's not an coincidence that's just how it is until he proves otherwise. Pretty sure Minnesota fans will tell you the same.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

D-Mo was good on offense but he pretty much negated by his lackluster defense. Smith was money on that pick n roll all game though.

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

Whats the context?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's a bit harsh, he did get embarrassed that one time, but he had several very good defensive stands.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Are we back to this cr**? First off comparing McHale to Phil/Pop is totally out of line. They both have had more talent on one team than McHale has seen in his entire coaching career.

Secondly, I seriously doubt any knowledgeable fan would want D'Antonio as the Rockets coach this year. D'Antonio is going to institute his system no matter what the player personnel is. Just look at that FUBAR in LA. There is so much more serious talent on that Laker squad than is in Houston. And they are trailing the Rockets in the playoff race.

Thirdly, McHale was hand picked by Morey to implement Morey's vision for the Rockets. How many head coaches are going to give up that amount of control? Well, if you are going to coach for Morey you better be ready to cede control.

13. rokit

rokit Member

so what is he supposed to do? just pass the ball to harden and be done with it?

14. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

I thought jlin didn't have a giod game but After rewatching the 4th . I think he did good .

15. pacmania

pacmania Member

Its the word "rather" have 29 points than winning. He just didn't phrase it correctly. I don't think anyone would "rather" pursue his statistical points and lose. It is a gross exaggeration with no factual basis.

16. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Small-ball :grin:

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Tmi bro, but at least we know why you act like a **** on the internet.

1 person likes this.
  18. SirKen

SirKen Member

shhh, we are overachieving.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

He kept Delfino in the game against Okafor? why? why would you do that?

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL I knew this dumb a** thread would pop up.

Only after losses is Mchale recognized...