1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Francis' Foul Flagrant?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DREAMer, Feb 25, 2000.

1. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I only got to see the foul on Sports Center, and only once. But when I did see it, it sure looked as though Francis got his hand on the ball.

I thought a flagrant foul was for not going after the ball, just hitting the shooter. Francis was obviously going for the ball. So, I ask who else thinks it wasn't a flagrant foul?

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited February 25, 2000).]

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think it was definately a "flagrant 1" which results in free throws and the ball for the opponent, but I think "flagrant 2" which got him ejected was a questionable call at best.

He was going for the ball and he got hammered pretty hard by the play too. I think that was a bit of a rush to judgement on that one. It looked worse than it really was.

------------------
    "Society always honors its live conformists and its dead non-conformistis."

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I disagree with the flagrant call all together. Francis was definately going for the ball and if it had not been for the guys elbow hitting Stevie's mouth it probably would have been all ball.

------------------
    The truth is out there.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I was absolutely furious after that call. Francis CLEARLY went for the ball, and Abdul-Wahad accidentally hit Steve in the mouth with his elbow. Then, Tariq fell to the ground and it looked worse than it was. Quite simply, it was one of the worst calls I have EVER seen. First, it isn't a flagrant foul, as he went for the ball. He in no way was trying to throw down Abdul-Wahad. And if he was, don't you think Abdul-Wahad would have been somewhat upset? He knew it was accidental, the fans knew it, and everyone outside of the officials knew it. This goes right up there in my book of the worst calls ever. It wasn't even close to be a flagrant, and they called it a flagrant 2 in which the player is ejected. That I just can't understand at all. To summarize the play for anyone who didn't see, Francis tried to block a shot and was ejected for it. That is ridiculous.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was flagrant in that it was not necessary to go that hard. The referees primary job is to protect the players, and clearly Francis went up with a vengence.

It was nice to see some heart, but it was WAY to late to start caring.

I am REALLY concerned that we are getting killed in our building by LESSER teams.

DaDakota

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Talent will only take you so far. Hustle and Brains are the difference between winners and wannabes.

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Francis definitely should not have been thrown out. He was clearly going for the ball. I think the problem was that when they came out after halftime, he looked really angry. They had the camera on him for a while and it looked as if he could kill somebody. I think he was probably just angry with himself and trying to will himself to play better, but the refs must have seen his face and gotten worried. Everytime Francis goes for a rebound, block, layup, or slam it is with full force - so it was nothing unusual for him and not mean spirited.

8. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Well, it looks like Francis is going to be $10,000 poorer because of this incident. http://espn.go.com/nba/news/1999/0804/39601.html

I really think thats going too far. When Abdul-Wahad himself admitted it was not intentional and that he had no ill-will against Stevie, why punish the guy? Isn't being on a losing team and getting blanked off the score sheet enough torture for a freaking rookie?!

Azim da Dream

------------------
    No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

9. wizard

wizard Member

i think the extra amount of money was added for his refusal to play in Vancouver...if that is really the case, the nba execs can go to hell.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It isnt the first time someone got fined for hitting a Muslim

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It isnt the first time someone got fined for hitting a Muslim

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

is there an echo in here? in here?

13. popeye

popeye Member

SPLATT!!!!!!!!

The ref's were so surprised that "little" Stevie could jump .... up .... to .... and .... into ... the face of Wahad .... so fast and cleanly .... when he was so far away from and off the play,that they responded with the jealous rage of a scorned but very ugly woman.

"Take the b*stard to court" the refs screamed in unison."Make him pay for his audacity. Make him hurt for his beauty."

And God Stern said:" ... It shall be done,my children."

"Thank you" answered the refs as they meekly smiled at their benefactor, who also never ever played any ball.

"I'll do it again, only next time the Wahad or whoever will fall on top of you guys!" snickered an unrepented Francis."Try and stop me!!"

[​IMG]

Title and exclamation on behalf of Heypartner.

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited February 25, 2000).]