1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Coaches frustrated w/Clowney, some Players say he's a diva

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NateNate, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely I'll take my chances between the duos, Mack has what, one sack and Carr has been captain checkdown with by far the worst yards per attempt in the entire league and his QB rating is the 4th worst.....there's a case that he's the best QB in that class, but we didn't miss anything.

Lance Z is just running his mouth like he did about how the Texans missed out on the great Arthur Brown when the Ravens "drank our milkshake" by trading up ahead of us for him. Mack will be a solid player, but Carr isn't anything special....give me Clowney and XSF over them any day because Clowney's ceiling and the off chance that XSF becomes a solid OG is much better.

2. Remii

Remii Member

All of these players have talent _ it's heart and desire that separates them. A player's ceiling is meaningless if they do not have the drive (motor) to reach it.

No one was talking about J.J. before he was drafted and no one was overwhelmed by his talent coming out of the draft compared to his draft classmates. But he did have the "High Motor" tag.

Hopefully Clowney will start showing that heart... Because right now _ Mack, CJ Mosley, Donald, and the kid Pittsburg drafted (who has been hurt as well) are running circles around him.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

LZ's tweet is a total troll. If he is a "draft" guy then he knows you don't evaluate after 10 games and call it a day. If he isn't a "draft" guy then he's a fraud to pretends to be one.

4. Raven

Raven Member

You're right. Clowney needs to start producing immediately or it's going to be a deservedly long offseason of second guessing for the Texans' new regime.

5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Just sayin' but this thread has more pages than the number of downs he's played.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He took 39 snaps just last week.....just sayin'

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Carr likely plays better in Houston's system, same way your boy Fitz did compared to the rest of his career. Carr's 14/9 TD ratio is better than Ryan's (11/8) and Ryan played with better coaching and players.

You mention Mack's one sack, but don't mention his TFL count is 4th in league. Did you forget from previous page? Don't know his other stats, but the media (including local radio heads) seem to think he's playing well. And we're comparing him to a player (Clowney) who has zero sacks and has only played 3 games due to injury.. an injury he's slowly healing from.

You didn't mention Filo... we know why.

Thank heavens Mallet is showing promise.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I assume this was directed at me and that you just forgot how to use the reply feature so I'll respond as if that was the case.

Sure, maybe Carr plays better in the Texans system than he would in the Raiders system, but even then you have what? A mediocre young QB? Awesome. His Captain Checkdown routine would be absolutely slaughtered here and you know it.

As to Mack, I never said he wasn't playing well, he's got a decent number of tackles and his TFL's are really nice like you pointed out, but if Clowney played 11 games and only had one sack to show for himself, do you think people would take note of the TFL's or would they be bashing his lack of sacks?

The way I see it, I'd still take Clowney over Mack on potential alone and we don't have a need for Carr so Clowney and XSF is the better duo. This time next season XSF could be starting at guard and Ben Jones could be moved to center and the comparison will be really twisted in their favor then.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I dunno, I listened to their show this morning, and he does have some points on how Carr has looked so far this year as well as Sua Filo's seeming inability to get his hips turned in time.

Obviously everything might change by next year. XSF might put it together with time, and Carr might get shellshocked just like his older brother. Lance was wrong last week about the Texans losing without Arian Foster.

Nevertheless, I still feel like there is so much hate directed towards anything LZ says. In reality y'all are just jealous and wish you had a radio show of your own to bring up such topics. Lance is the only radio host in the city who brings to the table an independent eye for the game + a bevy of sources from the scouting community to lend insight into the general pulse of NFL front offices.

Many times I have heard new takes from him rehashed within mere hours onto other radio shows on other stations. I don't mind it, actually. Anything that improves the general quality of sports radio (which in Houston can be considered mediocre at best) is fine with me. But a lot of you need to stop reacting to everything he says. I'm probably gonna take flak for this too, just because I'm defending him. Whatever. Haters gonna hate.

1 person likes this.
  10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

What I meant to say was "it seems like" he's made less plays than this thread has pages….:grin:

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

With you my brother

12. conquistador#11

isn't lance overmarketing himself on knowing more about line play than his own dad or any coach in history? Then why isn't he aware that if newton keeps improving like he has, andbrandon brooks keeps getting + grades on FF and Jones keeps making strides in his first year starting, then those "wasted picks" in the later rounds have not been wasted.
    I believe it was scott pioli who said if you are able to strike gold on 3 out your 7 draft picks you've had an outstanding draft.
    Merciless has grown as a player, so much Mayock was drooling over his play. Crick is looking great. What if Hopkins becomes a 1,300 yard receiver ? And I really like our young cbs that we picked up from the street shelters in GB and SF.
    The biggest failure was that schaub's carriage turned into a rotten pumpkin and that just derailed everything and not paying Quinn. god, our secondary would be awesome had we kept him.

It's frustrating that clowney hasn't been late, but i'll give it more than 11 games to declare his career over. And I do think little carr can be everything we wanted his brother to be, he just has to be dedicated, less time with the wife and bible study and more time in the film room. So far Mallet has won 1 game and carr has won 1 game. =)

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Your statements are very dismissive of OAK and pretty much a best case scenario for the Texans. If Carr played better in Houston, improving a 14/9 TD ratio would be much better than "mediocre". I also didn't see a weak checkdown for his game winning TD on Thursday. And why you think there's no need for Carr? Because of Mallet/Savage?

It's okay to think and want Clowney-XSF to be better.. hopefully they are. Your reasoning just seems funny.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Dismissive of a 1-10 team?

If you want to think that Derek Carr is something more than he is then that's fine, but it's probably something you'll end up regretting.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

I originally thought drafting Clowney with Watt as a Mentor would be awesome. I wonder if now it wasnt because he sees how hard Watt works and his greatness, if he is like I cant compete with that so whats the point in trying.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Clowney gets taken out of the play so quickly, he never chases anyone down

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Every single red flag about Clowney has shown up this year.

His motor is awful, if his initial move doesn't work he gives up. He's the anti-Watt.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Obligatory "it's early..." but...

Clowney has been thoroughly unimpressive

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Clowney played today? Interesting.

20. HRox832

HRox832 Member

I'm honestly not liking Clowney right now. Like... at all