1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Browns release RB Ben Tate.

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rolyat93, Nov 18, 2014.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Heh... I don't know what's worse... being a douche, or being a cowardly douche...

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yep, he didn't just give a passing mention of Bridgewater, he called him an incompetent QB out of the blue.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Worth keeping in Fantasy? or should I drop him....I have an open spot so I've held on to him....my rb situation isn't that great.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't out of the blue, I commented about the QB situation on the team Tate is going to. The QB situation is pretty terrible, which is relevant because it means more carries for the RB's because that's the only way to generate offense there. Not hard to follow.

I had him and dropped him, but my RB situation is pretty awesome. If he ends up earning the #1 spot, he'll be worth having on a run dominant offense.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Colts and Cardinals put in claims for him as well.

Guess we shoulda seen that coming since the braintrusts are so similar there.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

My personal opinion is that he'll be getting a ton of important carries after this week. The Vikings picked up his contract, that's not a tiny investment... he'll get a shot to play a significant role.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They only have to pay him like 300k and his contract can be cut at the end of the season without picking up any dead money at all. He has no guaranteed money.

8. Remii

Remii Member

I just found out Minnesota picked up Ben Tate a little while ago and I was wondering if this thread would turn into a Bridgewater vs Bobby thread....

Anyway... I bet Ben Tate is pis'd.

9. Remii

Remii Member

I don't know if you should drop him or not because I don't know what's available for you to pick up in your league. Oakland has a big and super fast kid who may be taking over the #1 spot _ Murray. I would drop Tate and roll the dice on him.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It actually is a tiny investment. Plus the coach already said Tate is more of insurance policy. Mckinnon is their guy of the future so he should be getting the most touches. He might get the touches Asiata was gettng in a week or two

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

See ya in the CFL soon. ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RB Ben Tate got $587,316 out of the Vikings for five games. That's $352,941 salary and five games active at $46,875 apiece.</p>&mdash; Chris Tomasson (@christomasson) <a href="https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/547530766998331393">December 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Vikings?src=hash">#Vikings</a> waived RB Ben Tate.</p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/547530770378928128">December 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Dam benjamin

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Developing an attitude problem. That's never good.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

With running back Le'Veon Bell highly questionable, the Steelers are expected to sign free agent Ben Tate for Saturday's wild card game against the Ravens.

The former Browns and Texans running back is visiting the Steelers today, according to ESPN. If the visit goes well, the Steelers (11-5) are expected to sign Tate and likely start him at running back Saturday.

Tate, who was signed by the Browns in the offseason, was released Nov. 18 after rushing for 333 yards and four touchdowns in eight games before being signed by the Vikings. Tate, best known as Arian Foster's backup in Houston, rushed for 942 yards his rookie year with the Texans in 2011.

Bell injured his knee Sunday night when Bengals safety Reggie Nelson nailed him on the knee after a 19-yard catch. The Steelers running back hyperextended his knee, but an MRI on Monday showed no ligament damage.

LeGarrette Blount was Bell's backup in Pittsburgh before also getting cut midway through the season, leaving 5-foot-8, 174-pound rookie Dri Archer as Bell's backup.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-12-30/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-tate-leveon-bell-injury-update-status-contract-ravens-nfl-playoffs-wild-card-rb?eadid=SOC%2FFB%2FSNMain

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr] Browns' assistant sheds light on tensions that existed between Ben Tate and Terrance West last season

While addressing the harmony that permeates his unit this off-season, Montgomery discussed the tensions that surrounded it a year ago as former Browns veteran Ben Tate clashed with rookies, particularly Terrance West. It was no secret that Tate, waived at midseason, and West weren't close teammates, and the Browns assistant shed more light on the strained relations Thursday.

"(Tate) came in early and they paid him (free-agent) money to come here so he felt he was 'the guy' and the other guys were in his way," Montgomery said. "It created friction and this year there's no friction at all. Everybody is out relaxing and playing."

Tate, who played in the shadows of Arian Foster in Houston, expected to be the feature back in Cleveland, saying last spring that "no one can touch me," on the depth chart. But after he was injured in Browns' opener, Tate bristled at youngsters West and Isaiah Crowell getting the bulk of the carries. He made it known he didn't like the halfback-by-committee approach.

The club released Tate, which it had signed to a two-year, $6.2 million deal, on Nov. 18.

"It was bad," Montgomery said. "You would see West tweet something out there on social media and then Ben would tweet and they would go back and forth all the time talking about they had no competition."

The coach said the problems didn't end on Twitter.

"They would get into it, you know, in the locker room, just having words, and in the meeting room, and it takes away from what you are doing out on the field. It becomes a distraction. It's a serious thing, it's a hard thing, but then you have to move on like we did and let these young guys grow."

Tate joined the Vikings before finishing the 2014 season with the Steelers. The free agent reportedly visited the Lions earlier this week. West led the Browns with 673 yards rushing, while making several stops in Mike Pettine's doghouse because of maturity issues. Crowell contributed 607 yards and a team-leading eight touchdowns.

Montgomery said the decision to cut Tate was made simply to give West and Crowell more opportunities.

The Browns drafted running back Duke Johnson from the University of Miami in the third round. The club might be in a situation where all three guys are getting carries this season, but Montgomery doesn't anticipate any trouble.

"We have no personality problems," the coach said.[/rQUOTEr]

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Kind of hard to believe Tate hasn't landed with a team yet. At least a trial run kinda thing.

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

With RB probably being the most volatile of the skill positions you have to wonder why this doesn't happen more often among teams with or without a featureback. Never heard that when Mathews and Woodhead were splitting or with the Bell/Bush combo, Jackson/Spiller, McKinnon/Asiata etc. Or maybe Pettine sucks at building team chemistry.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

He's had a few sniffs. Not quite as good as he thinks. ;)

Houston
    Cleveland
    Minnesota
    Pittsburgh
    Tried out with Dallas in May
    Tried out with Detroit within the last week

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Used to participate in training in the same complex as him.

No one ever bothered him or acted like a fan with him, and he always was treated with respect by others.

He was without a doubt one of the biggest D-BAGS I've ever personally met.

On multiple occasions he was plenty rude to the assistants that worked at the facility. Kids in college interning, he would just **** on them all the time for getting him water when he asked etc. Awful guy.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

When you're too dysfunctional for the Browns to keep you around...