1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeAndre Hopkins Concussion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Win

Win Contributing Member

I fell off my bike when I was about 11 yo and had a concussion. I went to sleep for about 16 hours after that and woke up in the hospital; but was ok. The doctor put me on a stage 1 year no riding bikes restriction after that and I had to take a teaspoon of phenobarbital each nite. Not making lite, just saying....

Go Hopkins! Go Texans!

2. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Good news. Reports say Hopkins has been cleared to play.

3. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it true that once you sustain a concussion it makes it easier to get another one... Aka Austin Collie

4. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

I was curious after reading this and did a quick search to see if there were any studies done on recurrent concussions. I'll just post the main parts of one of the abstracts I found here and link to the free online article.

link

Cumulative Effects Associated With Recurrent Concussion in Collegiate Football Players: The NCAA Concussion Study

Context Approximately 300 000 sport-related concussions occur annually in the United States, and the likelihood of serious sequelae may increase with repeated head injury.

Objective To estimate the incidence of concussion and time to recovery after concussion in collegiate football players.

Conclusions Our study suggests that players with a history of previous concussions are more likely to have future concussive injuries than those with no history; 1 in 15 players with a concussion may have additional concussions in the same playing season; and previous concussions may be associated with slower recovery of neurological function.

Full Abstract:
    Context Approximately 300 000 sport-related concussions occur annually in the United States, and the likelihood of serious sequelae may increase with repeated head injury.

Objective To estimate the incidence of concussion and time to recovery after concussion in collegiate football players.

Design, Setting, and Participants Prospective cohort study of 2905 football players from 25 US colleges were tested at preseason baseline in 1999, 2000, and 2001 on a variety of measures and followed up prospectively to ascertain concussion occurrence. Players injured with a concussion were monitored until their concussion symptoms resolved and were followed up for repeat concussions until completion of their collegiate football career or until the end of the 2001 football season.

Main Outcome Measures Incidence of concussion and repeat concusion; type and duration of symptoms and course of recovery among players who were injured with a concussion during the seasons.

Results During follow-up of 4251 player-seasons, 184 players (6.3%) had a concussion, and 12 (6.5%) of these players had a repeat concussion within the same season. There was an association between reported number of previous concussions and likelihood of incident concussion. Players reporting a history of 3 or more previous concussions were 3.0 (95% confidence interval, 1.6-5.6) times more likely to have an incident concussion than players with no concussion history. Headache was the most commonly reported symptom at the time of injury (85.2%), and mean overall symptom duration was 82 hours. Slowed recovery was associated with a history of multiple previous concussions (30.0% of those with ≥3 previous concussions had symptoms lasting >1 week compared with 14.6% of those with 1 previous concussion). Of the 12 incident within-season repeat concussions, 11 (91.7%) occurred within 10 days of the first injury, and 9 (75.0%) occurred within 7 days of the first injury.

Conclusions Our study suggests that players with a history of previous concussions are more likely to have future concussive injuries than those with no history; 1 in 15 players with a concussion may have additional concussions in the same playing season; and previous concussions may be associated with slower recovery of neurological function.

The high incidence of cerebral concussion in contact sports is well documented.1- 8 According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 300 000 sport-related concussions occur annually in the United States,9 and the likelihood of serious sequelae may increase with repeated head injury.10 Recent publications addressing the negative consequences of recurrent concussion in sports raise questions regarding the potential long-term sequelae associated with this injury,11- 13 and recurrent concussion has forced several collegiate and professional athletes to retire early from their respective sports.

Studies from the 1970s report annual concussion incidence rates in high school football to be as high as 15% to 20% of all players in a season,5,8 while annual incidence estimates of 10% were reported in collegiate football during the late 1980s.14 More recently, lower incidence rates of 3.6% and 5.6% have been reported at the high school level.7,12 Recent studies involving collegiate players have also reported lower injury rates (4.8%12 and 4.0%15) compared with those in the 1980s.

Comparisons between concussion studies are complicated by the lack of universal agreement on the definition of concussion and the various levels of severity (ie, grades). An early definition frequently cited is that of a "clinical syndrome characterized by immediate and transient post-traumatic impairment of neural functions, such as alteration of consciousness, disturbance of vision, equilibrium, etc due to biomechanical forces."16 The hallmarks of concussion are confusion and amnesia, with headache being the most commonly reported symptom. The injury is most often produced by acceleration/deceleration of the freely moving head.17- 19

Guidelines for return to play following a concussion have been published by several authors20- 25; however, none has emerged as a criterion standard or been followed with any consistency by sports medicine clinicians. The majority of these guidelines were developed on the premise that athletes may have a reduced threshold for subsequent concussions after an initial concussion. Although this theory has yet to be confirmed in a human model, animal research has identified acute metabolic dysfunction following cerebral concussion that might explain the increased neuronal vulnerability that can exist for several days following injury.26- 30

The purposes of this study were to examine the association between history of previous concussions and likelihood of experiencing recurrent concussions and to compare time to recovery following concussion between athletes with a history of previous concussion compared with those without a history of previous concussion.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't know if it's a tail-wagging-the-dog kind of stat, but the ones that have retired from concussions have done so because of a bad concussion history. Like you said Austin Collie, Jahvid Best, and most recently Ryan Swope.

6. Buck Turgidson

True, it's a cumulative thing. Did he have any in college?