1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Morey should be fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Apr 19, 2012.

?

Should Morey be fired

1. Yes

364 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No

821 vote(s)
    69.3%
  1. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

IMO. Pinning the blame on Les is just talking points from Morey's PR team at this point. Even if the agenda isnt to tank, Morey's reputation around the NBA is making it hard to get superstar players to play for our city. He's burned bridges with just about everybody in houston including a HOF coach with the best winning% in franchise history. The coach before him also left under bad terms too. Adelman grew frustrated with Morey for trying to suggest who he should & shouldn't play. Adelman also didnt like how Morey wanted him to replace someone on his staff for the d-league coach. These are little things I've noticed that have ran guys away. The whole devaluing of players by leaking stories to the press (ex: Landry) doesn't sit well with players around the league. All these things have made our whole organization look grimey. No advanced analytical stat can fix the black eye he's helped put on our franchise

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

See, what Rockets fans claim as 'failure' most other teams see as success. Believe it or not the Rockets are a respectable franchise who have done the most with what they have.

Sure they could always tank and many of us would like to see that happen (including me) but that's not happening. Consider the circumstances.

Judge a GM on the moves he made...not the possible moves that were being rumored.

When you judge Morey on the moves that he makes you find that he's one of the better GMs in the NBA.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Help me understand this....

Do you mean over the course of the franchise's history? The last 5 seasons? Last season? When?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, I feel he has created a roster of people who are out for themselves and are always looking over their shoulder to see when they are traded.

I feel Morey is a meddler and has gotten rid of two coaches to bring in a guy he can puppet master with in McHale.

I think Morey would be AWESOME as an assistant GM, but have serious doubts about his ability to actually get his own PLAN executed.

DD

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean during Morey's tenure as GM...what else could I mean?

What are some of Morey's big mistakes?

Well what do you want him to do? Sit happily on a roster that is mediocre or try to explore deals? The problem here is someone always seems to leak what Morey is doing.

We'll see, I don't think highly of Mchale either but everyone predicted he'd do horribly and when the season was done most thought his team overachieved. It's only been one year in, and one lockout year that is. Unfair to count that as a mistake.

Where are the big mistakes that Morey has made that should justify his firing him?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't want him fired - yet, I give him one more year.

But I don't like the way he handles people, the press, nor do I think his plan is actually one with a decent chance at success, and while I like all 4 of the guys we got in the draft this year, I can not stand that he refuses to take a shot at a center like Fab Melo - with the 3rd pick in the first round.

I mean honestly, the THIRD pick, why not take a shot at a position we currently have ZERO players signed?

DD

7. bozo

bozo Contributing Member

cant believe its that close..

8. Garner

Garner Member

because he knew he could exploit the Arenas rule on the best FA Center available in Omer Asik.

Because he was executing his draft plan and sticking with tiers? something you kill him for..not executing a plan.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Hey I actually agree with you.

I would have taken a shot at Melo as well. What could it hurt?

I was excited about drafting Lamb and White...then you add Jones and all of a sudden it seems like we have too many players.

I'm going to wait though. Bring in some decent centers, solve the problem at PG, and then also do something with Martin/Scola. Still plenty of time left.

Also though I don't think how he handles players matter too much. I just think it doesn't matter. If Lowry is mad because someone took his starting spot than that's not a GM problem, that's a problem with Lowry. Team is always looking to improve and the player should be thinking the same thing.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Respectable? By players? Coaches? other Owners? Fans?

Rocket River

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I said i will give him one more year last year. He should be fired. This year is only added cannon fodder if he cant hit on his draft picks, trades, Morey moneyball moves by now. Now I am lenient. He can change my mind but I dont expect it from his performance so far. Some of you honestly thought this way about Frank Bush, David Carr, said the same things for the GM of the Astros as he sold away your players to contender while they secretly had plans to sell your team. You couldnt be convinced then either. I am tired of watching Houstonians look like idiots for these guys. You are too nice and I am not.

12. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

How do you take away rep?

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So much anger. So much rage. Chill out dudes. It is not like you can do anything about it.

14. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Honestly, I'd give him till the end of preseason. If we go into next year with anything close to our current roster, then Morey should step down as Rockets GM. If not then Les should fire him by allstar break

1 person likes this.
  15. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I don't want him fired...but we better end up with a point guard.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

By all. When's the last time you heard any opposing player, coach, or owner say that the Rockets are a bad franchise, badly managed, or talk of them the same way they talk of the Bobcats?

17. valorita

valorita Member

Morey is not the problem. smh.

all he has done is constantly work toward making the team better and putting us in a position to make the best of our situation.

blame stern.
    blame the archaic draft lottery system where it rewards poor performance.
    blame injuries.

the results have been so so but i really can't complain about morey.
    in an ideal world, kevin mchale would be the "figurehead" gm with morey doing the major leg work in the background like with brad pitt/fat dude in Moneyball.

18. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

McHale is the problem.....

19. wacooksey

wacooksey New Member

Exactly, the fact that Morey can even get close to landing a big name when every current star is the equivalent to a baby throwing a tantrum is amazing. Just think what would have happened if trob hadnt fallen to the five spot....

20. double d

double d Contributing Member

I like Morey, and know better than to blame him for EVERYTHING, but Christ 8.5 million for Azik is just dumb, dumb, dumb.