1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for a Cell Phone Plan/Phone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, Nov 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Okay....Sprint officially sucks.

After mysteriously discovering that I had a credit limit on my phone that I never agreed to or received notice of, and that Sprint has the right to cut my phone off when I exceed that limit by $2.00 EVEN THOUGH I HAD NOT BEEN INVOICED YET AND THE BILL IS NOT DUE UNTIL DECEMBER, I decided to finally drop them (since they drop a lot of my calls anyway).

Now I need to get ideas on plans and phones? Anyone have any ideas? I don't need mega-minutes, and my phone is really for emergency situations and free long distance. I would also have to get a new phone, but I don't want to spend too much on it (low hundreds mabye).

I was considering going with the T-Mobile "Get More" Plan (600 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends) for $39.99. My previous plan with Sprint was for 300 anytime minutes with unlimited nights and weekends for $30.

Thanks.........

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Around Christmas time, they usually start offering pretty good deals. I'm waiting to see what happens after Nov. 24th when you're supposed to be able to take your phone number with you when you change carriers. If that actually flies, there may be incentives offered to stay with your existing company. Of course, most people I talk to say Sprint sucks, so I doubt I'll be going to them. I'm on AT&T's TDMA service right now and it's pretty good, but I want to get a Bluetooth phone and they apparently are only being brought out on GSM-type services. AT&T's GSM service sucks from what I've heard, so I'll probably be switching to something like T-Mobile.

FYI, you should always give your location because carriers get different reviews in different areas. A service that's good in one place may stink somewhere else. Also the phone makes a difference. I know people that said TMobile service was bad, but then they got a different phone on the same service and now they're saying the performance has improved dramatically.

Go to places like Amazon or buy.com and you can get some sweet deals on free-after-rebate phones. Sometimes going straight to the company (Verizon, Sprint, TMobile, etc.) isn't the best deal.

3. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

go amazon.com , and sign up for a tmobile or at&t and u get some nice phones free. I would personally get Tmobile coz it has GSm enough said

4. Icehouse

Thanks.

I'm in the Houston area by the way.

So, later this month, I will be able to take my old phone number with me?

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Nov. 24th yes you will be able to use your old phone number...

6. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

Be careful about leaving sprint. you might be under a 1 or 2 year contract and be responsible for $150 contract cancellation fee.

If you don't pay, they will send balance to collections.

My advice is this:

If your within 5 months of your contract ending, ride it out. (5 months x $30 = $150), otherwise, you cancel then you eat the $150 w/o getting nothing in return.

If it's longer than 5 months, you just gotta figure if it's worth it, cause that TMobile $30 a month for a year just went up to $42.50 for the year, when you factor in the $150 you gave sprint.

I hate Sprint !! I learned all this the hardway.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Good thing about T mobile is that they only have one year contracts

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I found their signal to be shoddy though.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Its weird, everybody complains about Tmobile, I have had since it was Aerial and have had NO complaints so far. I even went through THREE Nokia 5190s (old skool, i know) in which they replaced them no problem for free and didnt have to pay any monthly insurance fee. My signal has been great, get full signal at home, hell, even get a 2/3 bar signal at the UC Underground at U of H.

They have a promotion going on with 3 day weekends in which they include Fridays. It doesnt include nights mins but have no doubt that they would add that soon, and that INCLUDE free long distance and roaming. Not too shabby to me. :D

10. rocks4life

rocks4life Contributing Member

If you really want to go high tech, try getting the Sidekick. Its kinda like a "computer" phone. You can surf the net and talk to the phone. Typing letters are like typing on the computer. It costs 50 dollars/month 800 anytime minutes plus free nights and weekend minutes. You also get unlimited web access. This plan is for t-mobile though. I don't know the price of the sidekick itself though.

11. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I started a thread about 2 weeks ago asking advice for cell phones and who's got the best deal. I personally went with T mobile because they had everything I wanted for the cheapest price..... The coverage is good to me - I even get a signal inside the lecture halls here at UT. As long as you are around in a populated area or near a freeway, you're pretty much covered with Tmobile. About being able to keep your #, verizon and tmobile won't charge for it, but pretty much everyone else will (in the form of surcharges, naturally). So if you can, definitely hold out till the thanksgiving weekend and see what kinda deals you can get.

12. itzIce

itzIce Member

I am a current T-Mobile/Voicestream/Aerial service user. I have been with them since 2000 and I have had no problems with them. I am on the 39.99 plan that includes 600 anytime plus unlimited nights and weekends plus free roaming and long distance in the US. I also opted for the extra 2.99 500 text messaging because since they are GSM, I can also text to my cousins in the Philippines. You can also add the 2.99 T-zones option to your plan if you want to dowload ring tones or pictures to your phone and you can also go to the web. The cool thing is that you have the option of either going to a 2 or 1 year plan. If you want a simple plan, then I would definitely recommend T-Mobile.

itzIce

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

14. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Tracphone.com

15. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

While we're on the topic, I'm looking for a new cell phone and plan also. Who has the best reception in New York other than Verizon? I've been looking for independent reveiws of which providers have the best coverage in NY and the best national coverage, but no luck.

16. Icehouse

Thanks for the help everyone.

I went with T-Mobile. My girl was with them already and has yet to experience any problems, so we got a "family" plan for $50 (400 anytime minites, unlimited nights and weekends). I also got the Motorola V300 for $75 after rebates (now I can take pics with the phone). The phone even came with a case and hands free set.

It took me over 3 hours to transfer my numbers from my old phone though. :(

What addy did you send it to?

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I was going to tell you that you could have added friday as a weekend for 5 more dollars a month, and the V300 is a good deal for 75 dollars, you're going to love the Zoom on that camera

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Three hours of what?! Sitting on the phone waiting or 3 hours for it to take effect? By the way, as I posted in another thread, TMobile was giving away 20" and 27" inch tv's here in the Dallas area yesterday if you signed up with them. I'll probably be signing up with them but I'm waiting for any Christmas deals and the Motorola V600 or Sony T630 to be released.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

3 hours? ha! you did good.

a simple port takes about 2-4 hours. A complex port could take up to 2 days.

You should have waiting a couple weeks for carriers to work the bugs out.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I just signed up for T-Mobile.

$100 in rebate

Free phone

$39.99 a month for a 12 month contract.

600 min, unlimited nights and weekends, free long distance etc.

It was a damn good deal from A-1 Wireless.

Link to A1 page with deal

There are some really good deals out there right now. This deal is great, the $100 rebate is great.