1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Diamondbacks @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. Non series talk goes somewhere else. No PVP that can be found from other sources if you need it. All games are broadcast on Root Sports unless otherwise noted.

6-1 Robbie Ray, LHP vs. Mike Fiers, RHP 7:10

6-2 Zack Greinke, RHP vs. Dallas Keuchel, LHP 1:10

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I'd rather throw Feliz and Feldman for 3-4 innings each than watch Fiers pitch.

Yeah he had one bad game last time out, but he has been lucky to not have many more.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

How has he been lucky?

In the 8 outings between his first start of the year and his clunker last time out he was pitching very well. (3.86 ERA, 1.19 WHIP in that span, with almost a 5 to 1 K/BB ratio). Now it's easy to cherry pick, particularly this early in the year, but it isn't as if he's been pitching us out of games. His last start was literally the only game this year in which he left the mound and we didn't have a great chance to win. Left with the lead 6 times, tied once, and down by one run in the 2 others.

He's been solid for most of the year, and more importantly he has a career track record that suggest he will likely continue to be solid. No reason to fix something that ain't broke in regards to Feldman and Feliz

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's also failed to pitch past the 6th inning in 6 out of his 9 starts this year, and failed to pitch past the 4th in 2 of them (one of them being a game where his team spotted him 9 runs in 4 innings... a very disappointing start)

He's actually had very good run support this year, with mediocre results.

I agree he hasn't been lucky... but he's been very 5th starter-ish, and is likely one more bad outing away from a demotion. He's certainly a big league starter, but doesn't really possess any special/above average qualities... and given his age, probably is who he is at this point.

#4 Nick, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Well we agree that Fiers is very 5th starterish on a good team, I just believe we have quite a few 5th starterish guys, and I would bank on him being the best of them.

I personally think he is more likely to be better than Fister moving forward, and Feldman is basically a lateral move. Devenski is an option, but the club really doesn't seem very high on him for some reason. So until they are ready to call up Musgrove, I don't think there's anybody I would bump Fiers out of the rotation for. His career 3.63 ERA entering the year is still speaking a lot louder to me than his 5.20 this year.

Of course if he gets lit up again my opinion could change, it isn't as if I think there's much separating him and the other guys I mentioned.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I dunno... Feldman out of the bullpen has impressed, both in terms of stuff and control. Hard-pressed to believe Fiers would be better than him in that role, or has an extra level of stuff that we haven't seen yet.

What Fister lacks in stuff, he makes up in control. He's pitched into the 7th several times this year due to this control and consistency.

Fiers is just very spotty. Hasn't been efficient in his pitching and doesn't miss too many bats (unlike McCullers, who has the same efficiency issues... but gets K's).

I was serious when I drew the Tim Redding comparisons... very similar pitchers.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> went 17-12 in May. No other AL team won more in May...unless the Red Sox win tonight, then they'll have 18 wins.</p>&mdash; Adam Wexler (@awexlerKPRC) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexlerKPRC/status/737783118371782656">May 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

bad thing is everyone in our division is currently hot.

9. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Yeah, that is the frustrating part. The good thing is that Seattle's schedule will get much harder going forward. We just have to slay the Texas beast to catch them.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They've made up 3 games in a week.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

For all this talk of how long the Astros have played .500 ball... that's a 95-win pace. Keep it up and they'll hit 88 wins. If that happens, you're going to see some serious ****.

[​IMG]

Winning 59% of your games over what would be a five-month period is exactly what good teams do - it'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up and get back in this thing. Unfortunately, their horrible start has left them with little margin for error

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Gattis at C again? Going true platoon here.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here's how the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> will line up for tonight's game. <a href="https://t.co/O31QrwAm9a">pic.twitter.com/O31QrwAm9a</a></p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/738098483517902848">June 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Chris Herrmann is catching tonight for the Dback. I was in his wedding in Miami.

14. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

How come? Old friend? Who is he?

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Chris Herrmann is from Tomball.

16. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Yeah we grew up in Tomball together

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Love it

We could have the best offense at

Catcher
    2B
    SS
    RF

In all of baseball

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why wouldn't they? If Gattis can handle McHugh's curveball, he can handle Fires'.

Hell, dare I say it...he's been more impressive throwing out base-runners than Castro has (which has a lot more to do with how our pitchers, except for Keuchel, are inept at holding runners and being quick to the plate).

The only thing I would be slightly concerned about is the perceived injury risk that Gattis is if he catches too much... The same concern that prevented him from being in consideration to catch last year.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

King Felix hit the DL today. Never like to see someone go down, but a dire opportunity nonetheless to make up ground.

20. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I like it. Also like Rasmus sitting vs LHP.