1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Stadium Seats Ruled Unstable

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BobFinn*, Sep 18, 2001.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Tuesday September 18 7:37 PM ET
    Texas Stadium Seats Ruled Unstable

HOUSTON (AP) - More than 4,000 Texas football fans will have to watch Saturday's game against Houston on video screens or TV because temporary stands deemed unstable will be removed.

Houston had added 4,150 temporary seats to Robertson Stadium for the game to meet Texas' request for 10,000 tickets.

But after a safety inspection Monday, University of Houston President Arthur K. Smith said Tuesday that the structure will be dismantled. He said that as he inspected the structure, ``I asked myself if I would feel comfortable sitting there with my wife and daughter and granddaughter. The answer was no.''

Smith said engineers recommended modifications to shore up the stands for Saturday's game. He determined there wasn't enough time to ensure safety.

Ticketholders with seats in the temporary stands will be able to watch the game on large video screens at the Hofheinz Pavilion. The game also will be broadcast nationally on ESPN.

Ticketholders who don't want to watch the game at the pavilion can get refunds, officials said.

``To me the safety and security of those attending the game are the paramount considerations,'' Smith said. ``I deeply regret the inconvenience to those who expected to view the game in person.''

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Hmm, the title of the thread/article is a little misleading (Texas Stadium, instead of Robertson Stadium or Houston's Stadium).

It's just another example of what a fine university U of H really is. :rolleyes:

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I actually drove by there today and wondered what the hell those spindly little stands were doing up there.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It's an embarassment to the U of H to wait this long before making a decision.

UH broke their contract with UT. I wouldn't be surprised if UT forces UH to move the game to Rice or walks.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

the sad part is you would think they would do everything in their power to get everything perfect way in advance, the relationship is U of H needs UT for financial reasons but it certainly isnt a two way street

6. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

Actually sport, the title of the article is "Texas Stadium Seats Ruled Unstable." The seats that are being eliminated were set aside for Texas students / alumni. Reads pretty clear to me.

You really shouldn't blame UH - this reading problem of yours should have been cleared up well before you reached college.

And for anyone who thinks the game should be moved: Tell me why UT did not write another Houston site into the contract? Time's up - here's the answer: Houston would not have agreed to it. UH needs UT? Ha! Sounds like another longhorn with delusions of grandeur.

7. Timing

Timing Member

Wouldn't that be Texas's Stadium Seats Ruled Unstable? :confused:

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I guarantee you that the majority of people when seeing the phrase "Texas Stadium" will think of Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas and not Robertson Stadium at UH. You can't really expect people to know that when you said "Texas Stadium", you meant "Robertson Stadium". Therefore, the title of the thread is misleading.

If I title a thread "Compaq Center Hosts First Stars Game" will you know that when I said "Compaq Center" I really meant "American Airlines Center"? And do I get to chastise you if you don't know what I meant?

9. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I have only three things to say:

1. UT is full of brats.
    2. UT if full of whiners.
    3. If UT doesn't need the game, then they should just walk out now. Greedy little buggers.

Smokey: hush up. i wouldnt want ur grubby lil feet on my campus. thats why i didnt bother getting tickets for u

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Okay, okay, I admit it. I thought a Texas Stadium in the title would get more views than a Robertson Stadium would:)

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Tenchi, dude, how about some tix??? I'll negotiate with you...

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

But it only led to disappointment as I was hoping there was something wrong with the Cowboys' stadium that would cost JJones some money.

13. haven

haven Member

Anybody who doesn't think UH needs this game more than Texas is crazy. For Texas, this game is nice because it has a little sentimental value in playing another Texas team, and doesn't force them to travel far.

That's it. For UH, it means a sell-out.

Is that a tough call?

14. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I go to UH. It is hard to understand why this wasn't dealt with way in advance. When the stands were first set up, I remember people on 610 talking about how unstable they seemed. This should have been taken care of.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

im a longhorn student and truthfullly we need this game much less than the coogs, im sorry but all it will do is prevent the inevitable thrashing of dana dimels squad in front of their fans and lose a little revenue, but u of h is trying to rebuild a program-this is their "marquee" matchup, without it they are hurting financially

16. Smokey

Blasphemy! How dare you speak of THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN like that? Don't forget your roots. You, too, were once an orangeblood.

#16 Smokey, Sep 19, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2001
  17. Smokey

Buy him a couple of 40's and he will be ready to deal.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I sometimes park in the parking lot next to the stadium. I always look at those stands way up high and always wondered who the hell would be dumb enough to sit up there. Good thing they took that death trap out.

19. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

cuttino,

Point #1: LOL, you called me "sport". HA!

Point #2: Hello, Mr. Illiterate. Refer to Timing's (notice the apostrophe denoting possessive?) post. Or maybe you'd understand it better if I said, "Refer to Timing Stadium Post", which in your magical world of grammar would mean the post written by Timing.

Point #3: If you want to defend UH, fine. That's your perogative. I'm not bashing UH's sports. I actually enjoy their football, basketball, and baseball teams. But, if you're defending UH as a beacon of education, well, you're gonna get an argument from me. I found that the organization/administration at North Harris Community College was exponentially better than U of H(ell). I also found that North Harris had a higher percentage of good professors. Don't get me wrong, UH does have some great Profs. I've taken classes with some of them. But, I've also had some of the worst educational experiences of my life at UH. There are Professors there that simply should not be "teaching" anyone let alone students at a university.

#19 DREAMer, Sep 19, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2001
  20. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

It could be worse, imagine if the game had to be played in Foxboro Stadium. :eek: