1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forget About Age and Health - T-Mac vs. LeBron - Who's the better player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TMac#1, Jun 12, 2007.

1. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

LeBron James has been getting treated like he is Michael Jordan by everybody, however he has not looked very good in these Finals, and with the exception of the great game 5 vs. Detroit, he has not been spectactular in any of the playoffs. San Antonio has backed off bigtime off of him and he isn't getting it done.

Let's forget for a moment that t-mac is 5 yrs older, has 6 more seasons in the league and a history of chronic back issues. Lets go back to his Orlando days when he was the one putting 46 on the Pistons in the playoffs, putting up ridiculous numbers and dominating everybody.

Age and Injury aside, I think t-mac is a better player. when tmac was in his heyday in Orlando or even in 04-05 with us, he was/is a better mid range shooter, better 3 pt shooter, he was a lockdown defender, he makes better decisons, better passes, he could finish as good as anyone (shawn bradley) and played with just as much fire as LeBron, and is just as clutch (gm 2 vs. Dallas). The only thing Bron has on t-mac is physical strength, he is built more solidly.

All injuries and age aside I think McGrady is better than Lebron.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

they both had/have nba-lottoworthy teams and put up their big numbers, but Lebron James does more of an all around game and is stronger/more athletic, James is better for sure.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't see how anyone can successfully argue Tracy is the better player right now. Forget what he used to be. T-Mac is long gone. He's more seasoned, experienced and is a better shooter. But LeBron's size, athleticism and aggressiveness beat him hands down. If I had to choose one of them for my team next season, it's definitely LeBron.

4. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

The original poster just said to forget that and focused on when he was in his prime back in Orlando. That's what everyone's considering when they're voting.

5. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

What's the use of aggressiveness if you miss the layup? :p

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

100% would pick lebron. but not for the reason u stated. tmac's back is the sole question. simple as that. can he play 82 games? can he play 40 mins back to back or 4 games in 5 nights?

if tmac had no back problems, skill wise, tmac is much better than lebron. this is VERY soft defense the spurs are playing on lebron and daring him to shoot and bron can't even dominate??

obviously i would pick lebron over ANYBODY to start my franchise right now. he's young. no injuries so far (like dwade). looks raw still as shown by his jumper so can still improve.

but lets be real, spurs are daring lebron to score. how can u justify that cushion?

u think bowen would play tmac like that? that should tell u who's more feared by the best perimeter defender in the L.

7. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Did you guys read the thread title? It said, FORGET ABOUT INJURIES AND AGE.

At 22 Tmac had much better skills than LeBron has now.

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i dont care about that. would u imagine the spurs and bruce bowen playing D on tmac like that?

that's all i need to know.

if i was lebron, i see that as a sign of disrespect w/ how the spurs and bowen guarding him. they gave him so much space that its ridiculous.

but bron's young. he'll learn from this.

and yes, at 22, tmac was much better than bron is at 22 (skill-wise). def. not team achievement.

but b/c of the back, its hard for tmac to be better. right now, he has to use his IQ and hopefully regain his stroke.

9. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

jon barry just gave big ups to tracy mcgrady. or at least i think (could be calling him selfish? :rolleyes: )

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'd rather have the t-mac we got in 04-05 then lebron at any point so far in his career.

11. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

"fran blinebury" - that tmac didnt get out of the first round either. :D

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you turn back the clock to age 22, I guess that would be the 00/01 season which was his breakout season in Orlando. Call me crazy, but the current LeBron is better than that Tracy. His body is much more mature and he is more mature as a player than Tracy was then (as I remember). If you just look at pure skillset, Tracy's was better but the NBA is more than having a skillset. And to the thread starter, let's get off this idea Tracy was a "lockdown" defender in Orlando. Like now (as then), when he decides to play defense Tracy is very good.

The 26 year old 04/05 Tracy was better than the current LeBron, even with his horrific shooting percentage (43% FG & 32% from long range). That's the warrior I want back, but it won't happen.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would take the Orlando Tmac without the back problems over almost anyone.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Frankly, I'm just glad the Rockets have one of these guys. There are plenty of teams out there who don't have anyting near either TMac or Lebron.

Both these guys can use better supporting casts.

15. william847

william847 Member

To be honest....Tmac was better in his orlando days than lebron is NOW. But I think with time, LJ will be a better leader and have higher chances of leading a team to a championship ring mainly because he have more of a killer instinct IMO. :D

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

When tracy thinks he has to stepup and forces himself into that attack mode, he is better then the current lebron were seeing. people tend to forget pretty quickly how good tracy was without yao. he was phenominal. he was putting up 30, 6 , 5 a game during that stretch. he was hitting clutch shots and wining games off he's own hands.he looked like the 33 7,7 t-mac again. with tracy it's all mental.a switched on tracy is better then lebron an is on par with kobe.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I like more the tmac in the 13 in 35 (or 33) game, in that season, he was good.

It more exciting and entertaining to do 13 or 35, to have 50 in all the game.

18. Barkley

Barkley Member

Of course Tracy McGrady and I'm not sayin' that cause I'm his fan. He's a lot better shooter and he can attack the basket as well as LeBron can. No question Tracy is a lot better.

19. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

As they are right now...I'd take T-Mac. Better shooter...and at least as good a playmaker. The amount of space the Spurs are giving Lebron is ridiculous. He's had one..ONE...spectacular game, and that is about it. Even with his back issues, I still take T-Mac.

As far as answering the original question. If I'm taking T-Mac now...I'm sure as hell taking him in his Orlando days. :)

20. Rockets#1fan

Rockets#1fan Member

Forget lebron and jordon. T-MACS THE BEST PLAYER EVER!!!