1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sentencing: Atlanta Cheating Scandal: Three Ex-Educators Sentenced to Seven Years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Explain to me . . how if a teach f**ks a student . . they get less time?
    The Savings and Loaners defrauders did not get any time . . . .

SMH

I am not saying they should go unpunished but .. . d*mn . . . ..

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...cepts-plea-deal-atlanta-cheating-case-n341256

Rocket River

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

7 years is awfully harsh for a crime that was essentially created by organizational dysfunction.

3. marky :)

marky :) Member

6 months of weekends in jail? That's literally the adult version of being grounded as a teenager.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's probably worth setting the precedent as I imagine this goes on in a lot of bigger but under-performing schools with budget constraints. I know KJ's wife had to deal with it in DC as did her replacement.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Save for the voter registration forms and every job application and post-interview background check for the rest of their working life.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

man...just watched the 2 hours of sentencing...The Judge threw down the hammer on a few folks. 7 years of the 20 in Jail, and the rest probation plus 25,000 fine plus 2000 Hours community service. DAMN!!!

The one person that took the plea...good for them.

For the ones that got 1 year jail time of 5 and the rest under probate got a backdoor option for a "first offender plea"...good for them.

For the kids that got screwed bc of a terrible teaching system, they dont get a second chance...they've gone on in life to be noncontributing citizens, and some entered a life of crime. They are the true victims. They were let down. Their lives have been harmed forever.

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I'd need to see proof of this, kind sir. Let's not get carried away.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What about the kids that are molested by teachers
    What about the kids whose funding goes to corporations because of kickbacks by lobbyist
    What about the kids whose whole economic system was raped for billions by the S&L

None of them get NEAR the time these folx are getting

Hell those phony grades on the test might the difference from them getting into college or not . .. .so if they were improved grades they would have actually HELP some of the kids for real
    but
    THE MORAL IS: Helping someone is more 'detrimental' to our society and deserves greater punishment

SERIOUSLY!
    That was quite of bit of Hyperbola

Rocket River

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Seems that the price for a greatly reduced sentence (home confinement, only weekends in jail, probation) is an apology + waiving right to appeal.

So why did the rest of the defendants not agree to the plea deal? Do they and their attorney think that their chances on appeal is great? Are they standing by some principle and believing that what they did was right under the circumstances?

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ridiculous.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

My statements reflect what was stated by the Judge in response to comments made by a lawyer...Whether that is true or not I am not sure, but it was the comment he made in regards to the kids who were affected...

If you managed to watch any of that long sentencing trial...someone can show the clip's excerpt...

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Please dont think that I think that the crimes you mentioned are any less worse...in fact, I agree they should be punished more harshly...blame the courts and policy makers that dont do their jobs to prosecute those criminals worse.

Before sentencing, the Judge does look at precedence...and even prior to sentencing, he met with counsel on both sides, and hinted several times at "taking accountability" for actions. A couple did, but everyone else was head strong and thought their punishment would not be as severe. Even after sentencing, the Judge provided many of these CONVICTED felons a chance at "1st time offenders" appeal...which would wipe away any felony from their permanent record, if they comply with the terms of their parole.

Next, in regards to the facts of the case, the Judge spent a really long time thanking his Jury for a very diligent job...for being attentive and focused...and for coming up verdicts for each of the counts. These folks were found guilty based on those facts. Sure there are so many others that may have gotten off(lack of evidence), and there might be others that might be prosecuted at a later date...that being said, everyone except one was ready a guilty verdict of some sort... Only one I saw in this video even made a plea for mercy and compassion by the judge...to which he got a lighter sentence (6month weekend only jail time).

Finally, in regards to my comments of kids losing a chance at a different life, and your response that it was a hyperbole..please refer to the post above...these were comments made by the Judge...Overall I really thought the Judge wanted these convicted individuals to apologize to the people and children of Atlanta (and it seemed he was willing to respond with a lighter sentence).

This is what I watched...
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wH3XkRnPwkA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Remii

Remii Member

If they're not learning in high school do you think they'll make it through college...?

The article also says they were motivated by the promises of bonuses and or the threat of losing their jobs. That means they were more concerned with their on self interest than the students... They did if for the money. They sold their soul to help give the false perception that the school system is fine and now it's time to pay the price. And you have to wonder how many more teachers are doing this because that's detrimental.

And if low income neighborhoods want more money for schools ---> cut the athletic programs. Make these colleges and pro teams sponsor sports clubs... Because they're the only ones who truly benefit from kids playing organized sports.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They deserve to be punished, but 7 years is ridiculous -- they probably did more good than harm in getting those kids past those tests and out the door with diploma.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe legislators and school administrators should not have built an incentive system that encouraged cheating. It's not the fault of legislators or administrators if schools commit blatant fraud to beat the system, but I think that the temptation created to commit crimes is often not well-considered as they create their incentive structures. In general, it doesn't look like the school districts have a good segregation of duties between who admits students, who teaches them, and who evaluates them.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

How do I reach these keedz?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VXNj2BobjJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Is our $50 tip jar bet still on? Was it you who left feedback to confirm that? Do you still think the SC cop who shot the dude in the back will get less than 7 years?

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, irrespective of all the issues regarding school funding and support, this is still at its core a case of defrauding the government for very large quantities on a repeated and consistent basis. Also there's something fundamentally gut-wrenching about teachers misstating test results almost by rote. I know there's all kinds of bull**** fudging that goes on particularly for individual athletes, possibly even offspring of local officials and of course all kinds of subgroups in private school environments; but for educated professionals to do so on a system-wide basis too starkly undercuts their function as instructors.

19. Remii

Remii Member

When they cut funding with the expectations of the same educational output, and offer bonuses or threats of job loss to the educators they put people in a position to commit fraud so the President can get on TV and brag about good scores. So they are to blame... Unfortunately these individuals are the ones who have to take the heat and they get away scott free.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe they just put the teachers in a position to diversify their skill set, augment their education or instructional strategies or look for teaching jobs elsewhere. Those are much more meaningful coping mechanisms than pure unadulterated cheating.