1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBC Sports: Daryl Morey and the point of no return.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Raven

Raven Member

2 people like this.
  2. Grape_Swisha281

Good read, me personally think Morey is Dwight or Bust.. Linsanity may entice Howard a little bit more. Remember every move is to aquire a superstar

3. Dream McLandry

Great read. Morey's plan has slowly started to materialize whether people agree that its a good plan or not. Its funny to me how quickly people react to certain moves in a vacuum and fail to see the big picture. Personally, I love the direction. Either we land Howard or Bynum (gambling they will resign due to the financial advantages we'd have in $$/years) or go with our young, exciting team and end up with multiple lottery picks next year. Either way, its hard to image us continuing to be mediocre..

1 person likes this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Bad title. Should be: Daryl Morey and the path of no return to mediocrity

Morey/Les has finally decided that the Rockets are either going to be awesome or crap.

5. Trackball

Trackball Member

The pro-tankers like myself wanted us to take a big risk.

Well, now we are.

Don't change your mind now.

6. Raven

Raven Member

I wanted to use the exact title in case someone did a search.

Honestly, If Les would just pay attention, he might be surprised at the level of enthusiasm there is just to play the rooks and watch them develop.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing... Loved this part! It's totally what I've been saying as far as my opinion

"Rockets fans may have been frustrated by the mediocrity of the team over the past four years, but they also have not suffered through miserable failure after miserable failure. They’ve had a team they could track in the playoff standings, players they could get excited about, a team that was good, just not great, and certainly not a title contender. It was fun to watch at times, while never being dominant. What it did have was good players on*movable*contracts, extra draft picks, flexibility to absorb salary, and rookies. And forwards. Lots of forwards."

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

clutchfans =/= Rockets ticket buyers and TV viewers. And with the salary floor, the Rockets can't even tank and hoard money. If the Rockets truly do roll out the season with youngsters, Les is going to be losing a crapload of money unless he can somehow offset some of that with Lin and his Chinese ventures.

There's a difference between watching a team that has a chance to beat any team it plays, which the Rockets were capable of last season. And watching a team that you know will be beaten to a pulp by double digits before the game starts. And the joy of watching rookies play will soon be replaced by agony when they start playing like headless chickens due to being rookies.

9. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Interesting read...but we are far from Dwight or bust status. In fact a strong argument can be made for going with what we have and drafting smart again next year. The future looks bright for Rockets....wonder why he didn't mention DMo.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think Moore is right about Morey betting the whole thing on Dwight. He will be keeping cap flexibility and some of the young parts. After all, the goal is not just to get Howard, but to build a contender.

This is why ORL has been posturing with the CLE stuff to get Daryl to increase the offer.

At some point, Morey would likely rather keep the young talent and picks than overpay for DH.

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Agreed. I dont get all the DM hate on this board now. Most of us were clamoring for tanking and improving our draft position. Right now this team is stacked with high draft picks that are unproven and some could really pan out. On top of that, we have the Raptors draft pick along with our own.

There's a difference between being last years Bobcats with no growth potential and a roster full of terrible players versus being our team right now which is a collection of young players that could really grow and become serviceable players in this league.

12. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Good read.
    i also found the article someone posted on the comment section very interesting.

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/08/success_comes_from_better_data.html

Hope it wasnt posted before, if so mods please delete etc

13. deshen

deshen Member

I disagree with that article.

Miami got two superstars from free market, they did not trade, did not draft.

Knicks did not get their current superstars through draft.

GM needs to have experience, reputation and networking to make that kind of trade happen.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No, you need a team that has one star already and/or a city players want to play in.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

[QUOTE=meh;7060669]clutchfans =/= Rockets ticket buyers and TV viewers. And with the salary floor, the Rockets can't even tank and hoard money. If the Rockets truly do roll out the season with youngsters, Les is going to be losing a crapload of money unless he can somehow offset some of that with Lin and his Chinese ventures.

There's a difference between watching a team that has a chance to beat any team it plays, which the Rockets were capable of last season. And watching a team that you know will be beaten to a pulp by double digits before the game starts. And the joy of watching rookies play will soon be replaced by agony when they start playing like headless chickens due to being rookies.[/QUOTE]

He wont lose money because of the floor and the ceiling with the stadium deal he has. The luxury boxes and 65% attendance is enough for les to turn a healthy profit.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, good article. But everything in there has already been discussed on this board a month ago.

17. Jimes

Jimes Member

Wow. You think the GM convinced Lebron and Bosh?

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The premise behind the article is that the Rockets have quietly assembled things that a team like ORL could use...cap space, young players, picks...All he said was that its either get Dwight or be a high lotto team...

PS..without Howard...the Rockets are estimated to win about 20-25 games...
    With Howard...it goes up to 45-50...that in itself should let people know that he really matters that much...Going all in for Dwight is fine...I would rather him not mortgage the entire future...

But one thing about Morey...he has always found a way to get a back up/quick fix...and if Howard doesnt play or decides to leave(if the Rockets manage to swipe him)...Morey will be the one to be able to maneuver around the resultant bad contracts...The issue is how long does he have with Les...

I believe that...If Howard comes disgruntled to Houston...by the time of next offseason...he will give the Rockets a fair shake, b/c i believe in Les' ability to make the PR pitch...So...Les gave Morey a job to do...get Dwight here...and Ill figure out the rest...and so far...everything Morey has done...has prepared this team to be in the best position to acquire such a player...

Go Rockets...

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I feel the 20-25 is a bit low. Id say 25-30. Even a record of 30-52 would probably net us a top 10 pick next year :grin:

If we do end up at 20-62, or there abouts, thats top 5 territory :eek:

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It helps having South Beach rather than Galveston Beach.

As for NY, they achieved what exactly? 1 playoff game won in the last decade?