1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Court Reinstates Texas Voter ID Requirement, Allowing State to Enforce Law This Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Were you complaining about showing your ID?

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

You gain a lot of weight? :p

Also, you must be a democrat if you vote that much. Vote early vote often. :grin:

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Just slipped out to vote. Incredibly old lady using a walker came in, completely hunched over. Really old, I mean probably like 3-4 years older than Deckard. Her ID was 1 year expired. Had nothing else. No way she voted but I didn't hang around to the part where they told her she couldn't vote.

4. bobmarley

So did she drive there with an expired license?:cool:

5. Bandwagoner

No way she can drive. Did you miss the part about being hunched over a walker and being at least 3 years older than Deckard?

6. bobmarley

Geez.. sunglasses emoji break your sarcasm meter?

7. bobmarley

In other news.

Nothing To See Here: Illegal Voters Found On NC Voting Rolls…

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...A-Beneficiaries-Discovered-On-NC-Voting-Rolls

8. Bandwagoner

I'm used to sarcasm having some sort of wit or humor attached.

9. bobmarley

Have fun with that, Charlie Strong.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

First, 145 out of how many possible voters? Second, I think the title "Illegal voters found..." is misleading (at the very least) or an outright falsehood (gee, Breitbart wouldn't post falsehoods, would they?) since even the article says "potential illegal voters". At this point they simply found 145 people that applied for driver's licenses.

11. g1184

g1184 Member

Does anybody know if the 145 were identified due to provisions in NC's voter-id laws, or if DACA licenses are flagged anyway?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

As your article says, their records only show whether they were citizens when they got the license. These could be the 145 out of 10,000 that have gotten citizenship in the interim and therefore signed up to vote. And, if the voters were turned away at the poll because they have DACA indications on their driver's licenses, then legal citizens would be denied their right to vote.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's a lie because it's on breitbart, who was liar, whom jesus killed for his lies.

Also, voter registration =/ voting, as we all knew in 2008, and 2004, and blah blah blah. Such a boring windmill to defend.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

According to the state, there are about 6.6 million registered voters in NC...

http://www.ncsbe.gov/ncsbe/

So, division tells us that we're talking about potential illegal voters in the amount of .002% of the registered voters in the state.

Common sense tells us that these voters would still be allowed to vote since they have driver's licenses in NC and are registered, so voter ID laws wouldn't solve this "problem."

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. rudan

rudan Member

Typical democrat voters, too stupid/lazy to get an active ID. Why is this even an issue? I understand old senile people and r****ded people, but the entire democrat party too lazy to get off their arse and fill out a form to get a state ID card? Wendy Davis must be rolling over in a bed somewhere...........

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is where liberals (and conservatives) fail to see the bigger picture. They are too busy squabbling about Voter ID laws and refusing to deal with the bigger issue. Voter registration. If things were done properly at voter registration, then we wouldn't need voter ID laws. Its not a hard concept. Instead, both parties would rather argue about a moot point.

And just FYI, NC does not require ID's. So in the event those 145 are not citizens, they would be allowed to vote. Ask me which bothers me more; Illegals voting or someone not keeping up with their ID?
    Where do you think massive amounts of fraud could take place? Putting hundreds or thousands of illegals on the ballet or someone stealing someones identity?

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Home school dropout, you never fail to disappoint.

Once again you're correct - committing a felony in brazen view of hte authorities in order to score one utterly meaningless vote as part of a massive undetectable 100,000 person conspiracy is generally the first thing undocumented workers so when they come to the US.

The "to-do list" (or as they call it, the "por hacer" list...) for most undocumented migrants goes like this

1. Cross border
    2. Contact ISIS handler, make sure to spread Ebola along the way
    3. Vote illegally while having anchor baby

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Voting is a right for the stupid/lazy as well, that's the Constitution.

Do you not agree with the Constitution? What are you? A Commie?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol. :grin:

Well I think you're right that the control should be at registration, which makes the Voter ID law so infuriating. Voter ID isn't something that Democrats wanted to do away with, nor something that bubbled up from the bureaucracy trying to set proper controls on the process. It entirely came from the Republican party with a fictitious justification. I don't think anyone should be reproaching Democrats for opposing stupid laws, even if they're meaningless. They didn't bring it up. Republicans brought it up, so they should get the blame.

I don't think anyone has raised an objection (have they?) to election officials checking their rolls against other government databases to make sure everyone is eligible to vote. They found these 145 people who might not be eligible, plus another 10,000 they have to do some more work on. It sounds to me like the system is working just fine.

But, if we want to really get a handle on this, let's not take half-measures. I'm an autocrat at heart anyway, so let's just go with a national ID card. You can put a ton of data on a card now anyway, so you could have a single card (or mobile app, I suppose) that authenticates your citizenship, has your SSA info, your passport, and you could load in your state driver's license, your gun license, your hunting or fishing license, your medical records, your credit card, your Kroger's card, and whatever else you might want. With encryption.