1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Possible Home for Space Shuttle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Wakko67, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

With the retirement of the space shuttle program, NASA is looking to decide where they want to display the shuttles. Already the Smithsonian has reserved one. The location of the other three, including the prototype Enterprise, will be announced on April 12. While the Johnson Space Center seems an obvious choice, it seems far from a slam dunk. There are at least 21 sites trying to get one.

I'm worried politics will end up coming into play and making for dumb decisions on it. A link to the article is below.

http://www.space.com/11286-nasa-space-shuttles-musems-display-plans.html

Thoughts?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Oh! Oh! Over here! I'll take one. It'll make a mean championship brisket smoker.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Space city. Enough said.
    If you don't put one of those in Houston, there are serious problems here...

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If one of those shuttles isn't at the JSC I will be very upset. JSC will have to do a better job of taking care of it though than the big Apollo rocket sitting out there. It would definitely have to be indoors in a hanger reinforced for hurricanes.

5. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

They're planning a huge building to house it. Looks pretty cool. Plus people already go there to see history of the space program. To hear some of the arguments for some of the other candidate is pretty ridiculous. Talk about stretching it.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It would be crazy not to have one there

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It worries me that JSC's 'presentation' picture on that Space.com page is the most boring one in that collection.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Endeavour to Florida, Atlantis to Ohio, Enterprise to West Coast. Everything I've read on this seems to point to us (Houston) getting the shaft.

I don't know how you can NOT put one of the shuttles in the place every single shuttle mission was controlled from, but apparently that's exactly what's going to happen, since we're a red state...

Thanks, Obama (not a joke)

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, saw it after I posted -- they need to make something like that for the Apollo before it is destroyed by hurricanes, intense sun, salt water, etc., etc.

10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

A great many centers want to give JSC the shaft. They've been wanting to screw JSC over for decades. Now is their chance.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If Houston doesn't get a shuttle here, it's OBVIOUSLY due to some BS politics that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic. I bet if you were to actually ask the men and women who were involved in the space program for all these years, they would all tell you that one of them belongs here. What in the name of all that is holy has Ohio done to get a space shuttle?? Is it simply because they (and Michigan) are the poster child for what this economy has done to this country, so they are trying to throw them a bone?? If that's the case, that's pathetic.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Atlantis to Ohio?!?!

Atlantis needs to take it's talents to Clear Lake.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

So much U.S.A. debt - So much money that goes into this space program = even Stevens :eek:

But, yes, one of the space shuttles belongs in "Houston, we have a problem." :rolleyes:

14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah, Atlantis is NOT going to Ohio. You probably heard that from the Air Force thing, but that was debunked a while ago, and transporting Atlantis to Ohio was taken out of the budget there. Atlantis (or one of the other shuttles) will be in Houston. California will get the Enterprise (shuttle that never left Earth).

15. Scarface281

Actually Ohio has done a lot for NASA. Of course, nothing compares to Houston and the Johnson Space Center, and what it means for NASA. Florida coming in second. Trust me, Houston will be home to one of the space shuttles. No way we get the shaft on that. We're the home of it, for crying out loud.

16. tested911

tested911 Member

:confused: What other Apollo Rocket does the JSC have? The current Apollo Rocket is housed inside an enclosed hanger. I know many years back it was in the open but that was some years back. The hanger for the Apollo is nice and there is a tour guide (former Astrophysicist) with a wealth of information.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Elaborate please? I'm seriously curious about this as I know nothing about that hate on JSC.

18. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

One at Johnson SC, one at Kennedy SC, one on the west coast. Why is that so hard?

19. Scarface281

Because other cities (like Chicago) are trying to get a space shuttle, and their museums are sending in bids trying to get one. That's why there is so much hoopla about all of this. Just wait until the announcement.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

bah!

If Houston's proposal was to put it on blocks on the front lawn, they should get one. No question.