1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Fuzzybear, May 27, 2010.

1. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SGLaKfEyRL4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SGLaKfEyRL4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ran across this - actually makes me wonder if Mike has actually become underrated over the years.

2 people like this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How can someone considered by most to be the best that played the game be underrated. Jordan was one of the rare athletes that had both the talent and killer drive to dominate.

3. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Simple, I think I've even forgotten what he was capable of, sometimes buying the argument that today's athletes have improved etc etc. - then I watched this video and remembered how dumb those arguments are.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

To be honest, he's the reason I fell in love with the game. There was nothing more exciting for me as a four year old to just watch this guy do his thing.

5. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

MJ is not underrated, Lebron is just overrated

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really despise the silly Kobe comparisons.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Such a phenomenal athlete.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o1W3AdXHEA4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o1W3AdXHEA4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Although the Rockets got destroyed, this was a fun highlight to watch.

8. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

He's still the KING of KINGS :)

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

What DWade is thinkin' about going to Chicago .... via Espn

In particular, Wade questions why Hall of Famers Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen, who led the Bulls to six NBA championships, are no longer with the organization.

"I see Michael Jordan is not there, Scottie Pippen is not there . . . You know, these guys are not a part," Wade told the Tribune. "Things like that. So that is probably one of the biggest things for me, because I am a very loyal person."

10. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I agree ... in most sports, athletes of previous decades just cannot compare physically with the scientifically-trained athletes of today. And you look at the NBA players today and you can't imagine anyone retiring with a highlight library comparable to Jordan. Kobe - crazy, LeBron - unstoppable brute strength, but only Jordan mesmerizes.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

People want to focus solely on vertical leap when comparing Mike to these young guys. That's why they see Lebron get as high or maybe higher than Mike and they go "oh, he's a better athlete!"

What they don't realize is Jordan was the prototypical wing player. His quickness off the dribble was as faster than any wing player, his vertical leap was sick but most importantly, his hands were ungodly big which allows him to do things Kobe and Lebron can't dream of and his strength at the rim was unsurpassed (you can't find a guy, including Lebron or Kobe who finish after contact like Mike did). All of those things combined made him, IMO, the best basketball athlete to ever play the game. Certainly, the best athlete among wing players.

12. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Me too!

13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Good assessment. Today's superstars are created through marketing.. History's superstars were created through results.

14. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Mike is not underrated. Kobe and LeBron are overrated that's all.

15. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

My mind boggles when people claim LeBron is a better athlete than MJ. LeBron is stronger and bigger, but MJ has the quickest first step I've ever seen among NBA wing players.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

More than anything, I think its Jordan's huge hands (in combination with his skills and athleticism) that sets him a part. It gave him so many more options for finishing in traffic.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it was the shoes.

18. bongo33

bongo33 Member

Haha Like Mike, God that movie was mediocre :grin:

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure he is, people probably compare him to players who have won nothing.

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I was just about to post "I don't think Jordan would even be considered a top 10 player of all time if he had small hands".

Personally, my hands are borderline big enough to palm a basketball, so it all depends on the ball. When I play with one that's new and has that extra grip to it, my game expands immensely around the basket, or anytime I'm in the air against a defender. There is no denying that it makes a HUGE difference...just look at how many of those highlights involve MJ powering to the rim with one hand, swinging the ball around in traffic, or flipping it up with his (very long) fingers.