1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zhou Qi and China playing tonight at 7pm on NBATV against USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Jeremies are obviously overmatched, #15 Jeremy has skills for a tall guy, though.

2. roksoer

roksoer Member

The Jeremies vs. the blacks?

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I thought he looked good last night. Showed flashes of his potential. Can handle the ball and get to different spots on the floor. Shoots it well. We not looking for him to be a star, just a solid rotational player in a couple of years. Would be nice to bring a 7 ft shooter off the bench to play along with Harden and whomever our other star(s) are by then. Don't look at him and ask if he can carry the load, that wont be asked of him. I'm sure we will see him in summer league next summer.

4. ballgame

ballgame Member

I've bashed Morey a lot but I think this kid can become a STAR. He reminds me of the Greek Freak when he came into the league; young, tall, frail, great tools but STILL learning. It's going to take him about 2 to 3 yrs, after he comes over BUT I definitely think the potential is there.

5. Lightsnowaction

As much potential as I see in him, all I ask is that he will become a role player at least (for a 2nd round pick), and not turn into Perry Jones III.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

After watching him I'd amend this to say "he's 3 years away from being 2 years away".

7. anchel

anchel Member

Perry Jones is tall and long but has a 9 feet reach. This guy is 7-2 and has Whiteside/Gobert/DeAndre/Yaoesque reach at 9-5, 9-6. That's not being very long, but elite length. I don't think some people realizes how tall and long he is to move like that and to have that shooting touch. That's freaking special. Porzingis seems like the most similar thing and he has superstar potential. Remains to be seen if he has that physical and mental thoughness, and I don't know if he's there athletically. But the project is amazing. He's even taller/longer than Kristaps.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Zhou Qi would have destroyed the Summer League.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Ofcourse the talent and athleticism disparity is what is MOST evident, but the Chinese have come a very long way from what I remember seeing a while back.

In regards to Joe...I really like his shot. Its going to be his best attribute. The kid would most likely benefit by playing against NBA level talent now...Let him spend most of his time in the D-League. Learn how to get stronger and use his length to his advantage. Hope the kid makes it. Unfortunately, Im sure he is gonna spend most of this year in China...with the national team...He is gonna get worn down, and break apart in 3 years...:(

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

At the very least, Chinese prospects should play in Europe assuming they are good enough. It seems like he could be a 15-20 min a night guy for a solid Euro team but not sure if that is better than playing 30 min+ a night for a Chinese team against lesser competition? A better league would do him wonders for his development.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Chinese have proved that there's certainly enough of them, and they are certainly diligent ("crazy"???) enough about advancing their sports players to have a better squad than this.

I think the problem has been they made some wrong assumptions about basketball as a sport in general. They've developed so many bigs... likely as a result of Yao's success and "old-school" bigs mentality. They seem to have neglected the very skillsets that not only were always very important, but have increasingly become more so. Ball-handling, shooting, speed.

They are so dominated in this area against a team like US, that its hard to even watch, and almost NO CONCLUSIONS can be made when gauging an individual player.

That said, clearly there's potential in Zhou.

Unfortunately, beyond just normal maturing from a 20 year old to 21 year old, another year in China will do absolutely nothing for Zhou's game. He needs to get acclimated to the speed, strength and skill-set of better talent as soon as possible.

12. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Zhou got more shots becames Yi had to go back to China. So I wouldn't expect this to happen often where Yi's 18 shots get spread out to the rest of Team China.

Off the ball play is lacking. He spends alot of time just ball watching on offense and defense which explains a little on lack of rebounds. He should be able to get a few more rebounds just from effort. His screens are awful. US guards just run right by him. Lack of weight perhaps but he's not a effective screener.

With that being said, he moves very well for his size. More of a tweener now between the 3 and 4. Shooting when feet is set seems fine w/Range. He should post up more after switches when he has a small guy on him. I think he could dominate Barnes or any of the Guards after a switch.

I think he could be a good stretch 4 role player in the future but he needs to get much better with the rebounding. Needs to put more effort there.

13. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

He's young and thin but he was playing against the best players in the world -- a little bit of struggle is to be expected I think. I like his size and his knack for the game. His shot mechanics are weird but he's got obvious potential.

GREAT 2nd round pick.

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this 100% get him over here and in the D league. the game is different.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

Was't disappointed ,he is a promising tall SF at this stage. His teammates seemed to ignore him a lot.
    his court vision
    BB Instincts
    Passing
    Nice shooting touch
    Mobile for his size, all impressive

I don't get why some liked China PG ! Played like Ish Smith with worse decision and finish .

16. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Probably doesn't matter too much as Klay could just be blowing smoke:

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2016/07/mnt-quotes-vs-chn-2.aspx

Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
    "On who impressed him from the Chinese National Team:
    The guy the Rockets drafted (Zhou Qi). He’s going to be a good player and he’s so skilled. He’s 7’3” and can put the ball on the floor."

17. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Nice.... I think that's a legitimate answer to a question..... Pretty good endorsement

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wasted pick and time.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

"The guy the Rockets drafted."

Yeah, Klay. You thought he was so impressive that you couldn't even remember his name. :rolleyes:

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The sooner they get him out of China and into the D league, the better off this kid is going to be. IMO he's at least 2 years out from helping an NBA team and that clock doesn't even start ticking down till he gets in the D league.