1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Correa appears to have some competition for Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by vince, Sep 1, 2015.

1. vince

vince Member

I was looking at the rookie of the year, and after months of thinking Carlos Correa was going to be a shoe-in, it appears that Miguel Sano is putting up some impressive numbers of his own.

I would think Correa is still the favorite to win it, but Sano is having himself an awesome rookie campaign. In 171 AB, he has 13 HR, and OBP of .398, an OPS of .989. Those are some powerful numbers, and I can see quite a few votes going to Sano, especially those who are watching him day in and day out.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/stats/sortable_rookie.jsp?c_id=hou

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sano has been primarily a DH while Correa has been making several outstanding defensive plays that have garnered national attention.

Those watching both players day in and day out should overwhelmingly select Correa due to everything else he brings to the game.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Nationally, it's Correa's award to lose, and it's honestly not even close. Most people don't even know what team Miguel Sano plays for, let alone his stats. Watch Baseball Tonight, and there's a Correa highlight practically every night.

4. vince

vince Member

Good to hear. I don't have cable, so I get most of my updates following the Internet, and these message boards! :cool:

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Uhhh.... It's not even close.

Two parts to the game.

One player does both.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

it's already fairly unusual for Correa to have the award locked up given how much time he spent in the minors. And he has 56% more ABs than Sano.

I get that Sano has been a good hitter in very limited time, but I don't think he would get more than a handful of 1st place votes against Correa regardless of defense. With defense? Just a couple of homer votes.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not really. He's on pace for ~430 PAs. I distinctly remember Willy Tavares' RoY campaign against Ryan Howard in '05 hinging on his having played all year to Howard's (roughly) half year - and sure enough, Ryan Howard was the winner with 348 PAs. (Tavares finished 2nd but totaled 635 PAs.)

So Sano is probably going to land around 340 PAs, which would put in the ballpark. And Correa is totally in the ballpark. I don't think there's a longstanding bias towards games played, when it comes to rookies. There's obviously some threshold - but 80+ games seems to be it.

8. CrashDavis

CrashDavis Member

look at sano's BABIP. Explains a lot. High K% too.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In addition to the other points already made, Sano is 22.

What Correa is doing at age 20 is historic.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That shouldn't affect the ROY voting. Who cares what age you are. Ichiro was 27 and already a really good player, but per the rules he was the best Rookie in the league.

Correa is having a good season, but he hasn't had a mike troutesque season.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No, there is no competition.

12. Hey Now!

Technically, Mike Trout didn't have a mike troutesque season as an actual rookie. And Correa still has 30 games to bolster his hold on the award and increase his numbers. He may yet have a mike troutesque season.

13. Textroets

Textroets Member

I had no idea Lindor was up to a .307 average with 7 home runs. I think when Cleveland was in Houston he was sitting around .230 with 4 bombs. With numbers like that & his great glove I'm sure he'll get some consideration also.

14. Hey Now!

Except, he's competing against a player who plays the same position significantly better.

If any writer votes Lindor over Correa, they should have their voting privileges stripped.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Sano has been the mostly highly regarded power bat in the minors for almost three years. He can really swing the stick, but that is all he can do. Correa has gone from criminally underrated in the minors to being the golden boy for baseball traditionalists and the stat heads. Correa could take a dump behind second base at it would be a web gem. It is Correa's to lose. Having said that, I would deal quite a bit of our young players for Sano.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

I won't bash those who vote Sano over Correa. Sano deserves consideration, and may be a better offensive force than Correa. But from an all-around standpoint, the award belongs to Correa.

Sano will be a superstar for years to come, but Correa's year is flat out historic.

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

It's Correa's to lose, its been that way since his first at bat.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're right... since what Correa is doing as a 20 year old rookie is unprecedented.

In the future, this will be considered as a Carlos Correa-esque season.

19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I think Correa wins it, especially playing meaningful games, but Lindor is having a great year, and lately, his numbers are even better than Correa

20. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

In Trout's rookie year he was 1) the unanimous rookie of the year (in a particularly good year ahead of darvish and cespedes); 2) lead the league in OPS+;and 3) was worth 10.8 rWAR.