1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harris County Cop Shot execution style at a Gas Station

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenDice, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

She's not quite a whale yet.

2. tomato

tomato Member

Pretty bad thread!

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

In before the lock. :rolleyes:

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think there's something useful that can come from sampling trends on Twitter, but we see a lot of this crappy journalism right now of reporting on a single anecdotal tweet from a random person as evidence for some argument stated or implied. The internet is killing journalism.

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

and its also killing open-mindedness, critical thinking, and objectivity

6. Buck Turgidson

and kittens

7. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

You win.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thx! Now I remember that line. So creepy.

9. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

The news is reporting that Goforth was having an affair with the eyewitness at the crime scene.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ail-search-of-home-of-accused-cop-6514748.php

An eyewitness to last month's shooting death of Harris County sheriff's Deputy Darren Goforth told investigators she had been in a "romantic relationship" with the slain lawman for more than a year.

Although the woman's identity has not been released, her existence as a witness was officially confirmed this week when Harris County prosecutors passed the information to lawyers representing Shannon Miles, who is accused of killing Goforth, a married father of two, in an ambush-style shooting.

The legally-required "Brady Disclosure" was first reported by KTRK-TV, but Anthony Osso, one of Miles' court-appointed lawyers, said the release was more of a formality.

"This didn't come as a surprise to us. Our investigators were already developing this issue," Osso said late Friday.

Osso said his office was not responsible for the public release of the document.

"I specifically didn't want to air it out. I don't want to try this case in the media," he said.

Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman declined to comment other than to say the case is ongoing, and both his office and the Harris County District Attorney's Office are working together for a "successful investigation process and prosecution."

Prosecutors are obligated to pass on to the defense any information that could prove favorable to someone accused of a crime.

"If you withhold that, it can result in a reversal later on down the road," Osso said.

The defense team regularly meets with the prosecution on that matter.

"They've been providing information, records and reports," Osso said.

The new revelation came as more details of the Aug. 28 shooting of Goforth were released.

According to a search warrant affidavit released Friday, Miles, 30, possibly washed the clothing he was wearing during the deadly attack to conceal evidence.

The search came 10 hours after a frenzied response by local law enforcement to the shooting of Goforth at a northwest Harris County gas station, shortly after he had refueled his patrol car.

Authorities said a witness at the gas station described hearing a shot and then seeing an African-American man with a "fade" haircut shooting at the deputy.

Investigators who arrived at the scene that evening - the shooting took place around 8:20 that Friday - discovered the shooter had fired 15 shots before fleeing.

According to copies of two Harris County search warrant affidavits and one arrest warrant affidavit made public Friday, cameras at the gas station captured footage of the shooter driving away in a red Ford Ranger pickup with a distinctive trailer hitch.

More case details

The documents provide a far more detailed look into the efforts by law enforcement in the hours immediately after the shooting, which stunned local law enforcement and sparked an outpouring of support for the department by community residents. Hours after the shooting,

Hickman decried violence against law enforcement and insinuated that Goforth's death was the result of anti-police rhetoric that has proliferated as activists around the country - including the Black Lives Matter movement - scrutinize how police use force against citizens. District Attorney Devon Anderson made similar statements.

Despite those comments, neither department officials nor prosecutors have revealed any motive for the shooting. A spokesman with the DA's office said the case is still under investigation.

The court documents show investigators narrowed down a list of suspects based on the number of such vehicles registered in Harris County and soon arrived at the home of Miles, who has since been charged with capital murder.

When they arrived at the home - just blocks from the site of the shooting - they found a red Ford Ranger outside.

A man who answered the door said his brother owned the truck and gave them permission to search the house.

He also said Miles recently had gone shopping with their mother.

Investigators eventually made contact with Miles and said he appeared to match images of the shooter captured on surveillance footage, according to the documents.

Miles admitted to owning two guns - a Smith & Wesson 9 millimeter handgun, which he said he'd recently gotten rid of, and another handgun. Miles said that gun was in a blue baseball bag in his garage.

Investigators found a loaded .40-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun in a blue Dudley bag in his garage, along with a 50-bullet box of .40-caliber Aguila bullets.

Investigators also found a total of 34 bullets, together in the box or loaded into the weapon.

Ballistics testing of spent casings from the scene of the shooting confirmed the gun was the one used in Goforth's slaying, according to the affidavit.

Investigators also found a white cooler in Miles' kitchen, similar to one they'd spotted in the bed of the pickup seen on the surveillance footage. An outline of dust that was the same size and shape as the cooler was seen in the truck.

In the garage, they also found a load of still damp laundry inside a washing machine.

A deputy told one homicide investigator he'd found a white T-shirt similar to the one the shooter was wearing in the surveillance videos.

"Your affiant observed splattered blood and other significant biological evidence at the (crime scene) which could have transferred or landed on the clothing," an investigator wrote, surmising that the clothes might have been washed to conceal evidence of the crime.

Authorities arrested Miles on Aug. 29 - the day after the shooting - around 3:30 p.m.

#209 glad_ken, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

She was at the crime scene and is a witness? Something ain't right.

11. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What's the purpose of releasing this info?

Let's assume he was having an affair. Does that change what happened?

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Depends, if there are video evidence of the execution (did not seem to find article pointing to it but that's probably because they don't want to release the information to the public) then yeah it does not matter.

But if not, and then you got this from the original

Miles' mother said her son couldn't be the killer because they were shopping together at the time of the shooting.

"We got back, we couldn't get on our street," she said. "So after we couldn't get on our street, when we came back, the back way to our house and then that's when we (were) faced with SWAT and dogs and cops and guns and they handcuffed him."

And the main witness is this woman, then it does matter.

That said, with the gun found at the guy's apartment and gun shot residue, it's likely not going to create a significant amount of doubt.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

There goes my hero!

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Ah yeah, i remember that being mentioned after it happened.

Perhaps the Miles fella did know the officer and his side piece?

Watch him as he goes??

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

To get all the evidence in the open for a fair trial before they put this murdering turd to death.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Watch him as he goes??[/QUOTE]

He Goforth's the wrong way.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It would only matter, if they want to look into a possible love triangle or murder for hire...and i guess they have to look into that, anyway, to cover every possibility and get the truth.

19. The Law

The Law Member

So many people I care about in my industry have been affected by infidelity. It's sad, I'm not sure if it is more prominent in my field or if it is like this for a lot of career paths.

Stress, strange hours, easy alibies, married to the job. I have heard everything. As soon as this news came out my wife sent me the link and sarcastically said "shocked."

I feel for his wife and kids, especially if it comes out that the affair had nothing to do with the events that transpired. Just a terrible final memory for the family to have.

I sure wish folks would have a greater appreciation for the aspect of marriage and family. I tell my co-workers who give me their excuses and reasoning to just get divorced if they are so incredibly unhappy with their relationships. I'm sure it's not as simple as that, but after 7+ years of seeing the same thing over and over while at work, I get sick of hearing about it.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's common but definitely more prominent in your field (no offense).