1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You know which coaches often get bashed for not giving rookies opportunities?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 11, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy
    Rick Adelman
    Mike D'Antoni

Ironic, isn't it? Rockets fans right dream of the good ole days when JVG played Oakley, Strickland, Weatherspoon, and all the ex-Knicks + flying-Ryan instead of young guys. We remember the great times when Adelman had Aaron Brooks sat on the bench while Rafer Alston missed teardrop after teardrop. Until Morey forced his hand by dumping Alston the first chance he got. Lin-only fans remember the great Pringles who started the worst PG to ever play major minutes over and over... until right before the Knicks are about to cut some Asian scrub and forced D'Antoni to at least give the poor guy a shot.

And these are supposedly good solutions to help solve our no rookies playing problem?

Oh, how the grass is oh so green on the other side...

1 person likes this.
  2. Dei

Dei Member

I wasn't really a big fan of Rick unlike most people here. JVG didn't have any good rooks except Spanoulis (yeah, I said it, suck it).

3. metalshred

metalshred Member

I don't think not giving rookies opportunities is our problem.

Fans will talk about it because deep in their hearts they are not satisfied with our players and wish they were better. And they have no better place to hope for a miracle to happen than from the rookies..

Coaches think differently. They could be wrong at times, but most of the times when we think a player should be playing but the coach thinks otherwise is because he knows he sucks.

It's like poor shareholders and a director. :grin:

4. pli777

pli777 Member

Both JVG or Rick would be good for this young team.

JVG with the hard nose defence that will probably translate to easy transition buckets and adelman's big man at the high post dishing out balls and have lin and harden react to passes and situations, count in the likes of parson who's great off the ball.

Obviously they both have flaws though, but McHale I haven't thought of a single thing that his coaching credential would stand out.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

JVG's teams have perennially been ranked among the worst in transition baskets. Because when opponents shoot, he has everyone get the board. The Rockets always sacrifice easy basket for interior defense/rebounding

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

I love how every one of your threads try to knock some sense into these fools. Keep it up.

7. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

keep up the good work meh... i would like to see you writing some blog or similar or something where non polar an non knee jerk reactive rocket funs could read and discuss things intelligently and in peace:grin:

8. macho87

macho87 Member

RVG and Adleman had veteran teams that were in contention. Rox aren't contending for much with this current team so they should be playing and developing the rooks. Two different situations.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Who says they are not developing? They have practices, people. They will play when they are ready.

The Rockets are developing first a system. They have a completely new roster who aren't used to playing with each other. It's important to have a develop a system first BEFORE playing the rookies or else you will have a bunch of players who have no idea what they are doing. Best way to do this is to play the more experienced players.

10. macho87

macho87 Member

So you don't think TJ should have played tonight? And kept 2pat 2point 2rebound in?

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

It's up to the coaches to ease them in. I don't cry when any of our rookies don't play.

12. dialtone888

dialtone888 Rookie

Which ever coach plays MM or TJ instead of PPat has my vote

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Fire JVG, Adelman, and D'Antoni! :mad::mad:

14. jocar

jocar Member

I'd rather play PPat/MM full minutes and find out, now, if they are a permanent part of this foundation, than play them sporadically and be left with any doubt "what could have been" if they are traded later. I see it as their final audition, if they can't show they can step up, then the coaching staff will take action. But they need a legit "sample size" that's become such a big deal w/ Harden and Lin.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Our problem is we have 1 star level talent, 2 or 3 journeyman level talents and a bunch of garbage (Lin, Asik and Parsons deserve to be starters where they're the 4th or 5th best players, instead they're about the 2nd, 3rd, 4th).

Add to that they're the youngest team in the nba and you have what we have, a really inconsistent bunch of players.