1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnet]'Tomorrowland' in Dolby Cinema: the best picture I've seen in a theater

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, May 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to check it out in dolby atmos.
    So this thing is called dolby cinema which is better video with Atmos

1 person likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Why does humble of all places get it first?

3. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Today is the last day to watch Tomorrowland in the AMC Deerbrook 24 Dolby Digital Cinema theater. I guess they will be showing San Andreas in there when it comes out tomorrow.

Saw it posted on their FB page.
    https://www.facebook.com/AMCDeerbrook24

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The nephews were flooded out of school today so I took them on an excursion up to Deerbrook for Tomorrowland in the Dolby Cinema. Worth the drive, crystal clear picture, pure and dynamic sound, cool electric adjustable recliners (like a Gallery Furniture home theater seat)

The moving sound and vibrating subwoofer seats were much more pronounced in the trailer for Jurassic Park and the sound promo than during the movie but it is great special effects sound, 8 speaker towers on each side and 12 speakers per tower.

Another thing if you go... the water cups are free. For 5 kids I bought 1 giant drink and filled their water cups. Also they don't have any way to monitor the dispenser so I filled the big cup up twice. The giant drink was $9 so it wasn't like stealing. Also there was a candy shop at the parking lot entrance that had $3 bags of candy.

Oh yeah , the movie was pretty great too. I really enjoyed the themes that popular media is depressing hope and that it is this generation of kids that will fix man's realtionship with our only Earth. Good stuff for kids.

Thanks Tinman!

#24 Dubious, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Crap realized there probably aren't that many Atmos theaters out there - there are 3 I at least know of in a 10 miles radius where I live - the Atmos surround sound is AMAZING especially for action movies

saw mad max in atmos - awesome

the movie that I have seen in atmos that has made best use of it so far has been Godzilla. Just mind blowing

I'll have to check it out at the el capitan I HATE going to that part of hollywood though so much tourist traffic and all especially to just see a movie.

The Regency Village in Westwood (aka Fox Theater)is one of the theaters that first got Atmos - Its my favorite theater in LA -- Hundreds of movies have premiered there its a perfect blend of old meets new. I believe it was built in the early 1930s so it has a decor and feel of a old time single screen theater with the size of the screen, the way the curtains are drawn, balcony seating and all. Because movies are premiered there they always have the state of the art technology in both video and audio so thats makes it even more awesome.

If anyone is ever visiting in LA I would highly recommend watching something there - its just a unique experience.

My favorite seat is balcony, center section first row seat 108

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks Dubious! I want to hear Dolby Atmos now! !!!! So the picture was crystal clear? I hear the colors were spectacular.

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I'm about to go see Mad Max at the Chinese Theater in hollywood, currently its the only theater in the country with IMAX Laser projection.

http://www.slashfilm.com/imax-laser-projection-video/

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Those messages are terrible. I agree. Art should never address the issues of the day. Good call.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So True. I shiver to think of all the whale meat and products I consumed before I saw the light after Star Trek IV came out. Such a relevant issue of the day.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I love that theater, Santikos Paladium. Definitely worth the drive.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Absolutely. You wouldn't be a good conservative if you didn't have a narrow, dumbass view of the world based on your own daily routine.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

How did this thread turn into the D&D?

this is what you need to debate:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_-GqRclsQbQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TlSLbfhVod8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I have no real crazy interest in seeing a movie like San Andreas but like a movie like that with in an Atmos theater has me super tempted to go see it just for that.

KaiSeR -- are you watching it in the Graumann's or the Chinese thats inside there? I've been to some premieres at the Graumann's chinese but not the internal chinese theater that is like the 4-5 screen multi-plex. I think that Chinese also has DBox seats as well which are cool (saw Furious 7 in Dbox in Van Nuys)

Crappy movie right now playing in 4DX at the La Live Regal downtown - but thats probably the craziest movie theater in the area. Only one of its kind in America cost 1M to build. Seats, Floor, move, has like lights, smells, water and wind effects in sync with movie

14. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Graumans. It was pretty nice, I think the laser projection really brings up the brightness and contrast on the screen. The sound was wonderful too. Need to try out the Dolby vision at el capitan.

Need to find a good movie for the 4DX but that sounds promising