1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It is wrong to say that in Rudy's System...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DearRock, Mar 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

...all the SF does is shoot 3's. Over the past ten games, I have seen numerous plays were the 3 is penetrating, sometimes even all the way to the basket as we have seen Walt do recently. The midrange game is also fairly regular recently. So it is probably more appropriate and fair to Rudy to say the 3pt is a part of his system but it is not limited to the 3's. We can say so because the 3's are coming from every position except the 5, at the moment. Very similar to Dallas but they have 5's shooting 3's also.

Having said that, I would say the 3 should be a versatile player who has shooting range. Versatile here is not limited to the offensive end but the person should bring a defensive presence. If that is not attainable with one player then we should at least have versatility among a group of players manning the 3 spot.

That is why if I have Rice, Williams, KT and Tmo available to man the 3 spot next year, I do not see the urgency or need, in fact, to go after Odom or Lewis.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Historically, this is how much a piece of the SF game is devoted to shooting 3-pointers. The first number is FGA/3PA. The second number how well they shot the 3-pointer (both numbers are only during their Rockets careers).

Horry: 30.14% 35.59%
    Elie: 41.29% 36.29%
    Pippen: 35.10% 33.96%
    Anderson: 28.90% 31.65%
    Williams: 43.18% 40.03%

Just by looking at some of starting small forwards during Rudy's tenure, it seems plain to me that Rudy had guys who could hit the shot take it, and those who couldn't wouldn't. The best shooters, Williams (I can't believe people criticize his 3-point shooting -- he hits 40%!) and Elie are the ones who were most camped out on the 3-point line. The worst shooter of the bunch, Anderson, had the tre as a corresponding low component of his offense (such as it was). The big anamoly here is Robert Horry, who didn't take as many 3-pointers as his shooting percentage justified, his reputation as a camper notwithstanding.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Good response, Juan. Something that I think people fail to realize is that Rudy is nuts for percentages. He has his assitants map out every shot taken and every offensive set and breakdown the percentage of open looks the team gets, made baskets, turnovers, bad shots, etc. He goes with the sets and shots that have the highest percentage.

If his three can shoot the 3 and it is a wide open shot, he wants them to take it. If KT is the three (as he has been on a few occassions this year), he posts up or faces up but rarely takes a 3.

His system is designed to exploit mismatches and favor high percentage shots. When the team hits the open man and the open man hits the shot, the team plays well. When that doesn't happen, the team doesn't win and looks bad doing it.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It'd be even better to look at some of those numbers for other SF's around the league. But I'm not going to do it :D

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

JZ, sorry, you'll have to make your own arguments. :)

One more:

I looked at Kenny Thomas' shot selection in those games since his 3-game suspension till Walt Williams' return in which Thomas and Griffin both started and played major minutes (more than 20). He was the starting small forward in those games. In 9 games, he attempted 3 3-pointers (missing them all) and 95 field goals.

Rudy doesn't make SFs camp out on the 3-point line. He finds open looks for those who can hit the shot. If we had a SF whose strength was inside, he'd play inside.

6. DearRock

Great response Juan. I got the impression from your post that Rudy's system is not limited to having campers play the 3, which is the feeling I was getting from posters as they were trying to determine whether we should go after Lewis and to a lesser extent Odom.

To me, the final steps needed to cement our offensive package are: 1. a more consistent "low post, back to the basket game" (MoT); 2. Player movement (Cut,Cut, Cut) and 3. increased usage of screens; and fast breaks.

Our acquisitions should be based on these, especially #1.

7. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

It seems like we could do both #2 and #3 with the personnel we have. Why aren't we? I don't think the lack of #1 has anything to do with it.

8. DearRock

I agree that we can do #2 and #3. I guess some would say that we have been doing it more recently and getting better at it, now that we have most of our guys back and we have had more time for things to settle in. There is alot more cutting going on especially with Mobes, Tmo, Walt and KT. Also, KT, Walt and Mobes have been very decisive with their drives, all apparently having the effect of keeping defense off balanced.

Of course alot of that is made possible by the lethal shooting of Cat, who in turn does a great job getting open. The point guard play is much improved and the inside passing has been crisp. In fact there were many including one where Tmo got a dunk, EG got a dunk, another where Mooch found a cutting KT, another where KT found Cato vs Utah, another where Moochie found Wink under the basket and another where Wink found a cutting Walt for a layup.

One has to be really saddened about the injuries we have had; however, it is really exciting to see things coming together in a so far so good fashion. To me this is our playoffs and more and more we will be referred to as a very dangerous team as these last 20+ games unfold. Most teams will not want to play us. Next week will be very interesting.