1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

West Flagrant foul, really?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Feb 9, 2009.

?

Do you really think this should be a flagrant foul?!

1. Yes... West was rediculously hard and wasn't even going for the ball

127 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. No... Yeah technically it is a flagrant, but realistically it shouldn't be

8 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. I'm not sure it's that black and white

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. What you talkin' 'bout Pizza?

6 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

OK, i know based on the doctrine it is technically a flagrant foul, but seriously why is the game going this way? Players are essentially getting paid millions of dollars to do running and shooting drills, at least thats the way it's going to be. I know Tmac would be really happy about that, but I think that just stinks. I wanna ask everyone here, should the game really become this soft? People want West to be suspended for multiple games for this love tap.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7sovyb4Cpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7sovyb4Cpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

At full speed it looked pretty bad because Miller was running full out and went flying. Then on the replay it looked clear to me that West realized he couldn't make a play on the ball and decided to take a shot at Miller instead. From the original angle, it looked a lot like a punch in real-time.

So all in all, it looked like an ejection worthy foul to me. Nothing deserving of a suspension though.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you call that a love tap? he swung at millers head/neck from BEHIND when there is no way for miller to defend himself. that is a very dangerous move. i think he is lucky that nothing major happened to miller

heck i find this move to be a whole lot more dangerous than bynum's foul on wallace. bynum made a play that he shouldnt have made but he was trying to rotate into position but did it the wrong way. west just swung at millers head/neck

west is a great player and its great to see how he has worked hard to get where he is out today, but i have never like his demeanor on the court he acts like a punk.

in my book he should get 1-2 games would have been much longer if miller had gotten hurt

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

no play on the ball
    hit head

flagrant to me.

/shrug

5. ClutchCityReturns

By the way, you made the first poll option too extreme. I don't think it was ridiculously hard, but it was definitely a flagrant in my eyes.

#5 ClutchCityReturns, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Seems like a frustration foul. There are other ways to foul him instead of swipping at his head. I would argue with a 1 game suspension/

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

With the way people whined about the Bynum foul they better think this was flagrant.

8. ClutchCityReturns

I was going to mention this. If you look at the beginning of the video, you'll see that West makes a move and loses the ball, but thinks he got fouled. From that point it looks like he locks in on Miller and then unloads on him as he passes. Probably didn't help that they were losing by 5 at home to the TWolves.

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It was. He didn't want to hit the ball, he knew he is gonna take Miller to the floor.

It was a good call, but suspention? I am not sure about that.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

an axe weilding forearm to the back of the head is not just a love tap. a one game suspension is justifiable.

11. ClutchCityReturns

I agree with hard. I disagree with ridiculously hard. That's all I'm saying.

This wasn't McHale vs. Rambis.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He should definitely be suspended. Somebody needs to take the same cheap shot at Chris Paul and then see how David West likes it.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Suspend him, he went for the neck and head, no play on the ball, dirty play.....sit him for 2 games.

DD

14. worzel gummidge

Bynum should have been suspended but no suspensions for this one. It looks bad in real time and the refs made the right call at the time.

If you watch the slo-mo closely from 35secs in you'll notice Miller's right foot while in stride actually catches West's left heel. Miller does react to the slap down but it's more like he's surprised. When he goes flying it's because of the accidental trip.

15. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Flagrant? For sure. There was no attempt on the ball, and he whacked him pretty good.

Suspension? No way. It was a frustration foul, and from the looks of it, no real malicious intent. This warrants an ejection and nothing else.

16. ClutchCityReturns

What's funny is that I bet the only "no" in the poll was from the OP.

Thread backfire initiated. Nearing completion.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eject his ass.........

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well the thread derailed after the first post. I wasn't asking if it was a flagrant foul, I was asking if it it should be a flagrant foul, that is, are the rules fitting. Personally I don't think they are, but if it's what the people want so be it.

More than anything it was a critique of the game, the play in question was just evidence, but meh in the grand scheme of things.

19. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

David West seems like a jerk to me. Even when he plays the Rockets, he tries to intimidate our players.

20. ClutchCityReturns

I understand. But I have to ask...what should be the punishment for a guy swinging at a defenseless player's neck/head area like West did in this instance? Surely that can't be treated as a standard personal foul or it would happen every 5 minutes. As I said, I'm not sure this warrants a suspension (though others obviously do) but it pretty much exemplifies exactly what should be considered "flagrant" in my opinion.