1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Craig Ackerman] coaches considering Troy Daniels for spot in playoff rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Apr 16, 2014.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Would we rather have a "jack of all trades but master of none" type of player like Jordan Hamilton. He's decent on defense but not really good enough to stop a good offensive player and he's ok on offense some nights but any decent defensive player can shut him down.

Or, would you rather have a player like Daniels. He is a liability on defense, he isn't much of a threat to score in the paint but opposing teams damn sure better not leave his ass open behind the arc or he will rain 3s on their ass all night long. He is a master at one skill, shooting the long ball.

I've never been a fan of the "Jack of all Trade but Master of None" type of players. I don't mind the one dimensional player who comes off the bench to make life hell for the opposing team.

2. Rox7

Rox7 Member

We need Trey Novak Daniels to bring back Linsanity.

3. Oracle

Oracle Member

Great post. This is a more complicated question than it appears at first look. In my mind you need also some "Jacks of all trades but master of none" who do the dirty work facilitating those "masters of one" to excel in their trade. Daniels is a great player to pull from the bench in times of need. We need to keep in mind that the Pelicans were heavy on reserves playing for a contract next year. That was not a playoff game.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It still depends on how good they are. I would consider Parsons a "jack of all trades" type player, and I would consider Asik a "master of one". In the end it all comes down to overall value to the team.

5. Handles

Handles Member

Asik has more than one skill: defense, rebounding, and setting picks. I think he's a master of all of these.

As far as Daniels is concerned, I want to see him get some burn in the playoffs. We can always use some more 3 pointers in our offense and he's absolutely dangerous from the arc.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

When you have players like Asik and Howard, defense becomes easier on the perimeter. You can close out a little harder, jump more passing lanes, etc.

Daniels doesn't hesitate when he shoots. He spaces the floor and has some ability to create off the dribble. His defensive liabilities are not any worse than Jeremy's or Casspi's.

7. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Small sample size. McHale only put Casspi in vs. sub par teams, or teams that don't have a quality PF. His 3-point shot has been terrible lately, and that was his only advantage on the offensive end.

8. basketballholic

The three man unit of Casspi, Harden, and Howard logged over 300 minutes together. That's not a small sample size. That is basically around 25 games worth of data.

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Maybe on offense. Danny Green is a great defensive player - a true 3 & D player.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

For this very reason, Covington should get a shot too. I am done with Casspi. Powell and Hamilton don't have Covington's upside either.

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

Yeah it's a small sample. More importantly, you're dismissing Casspi's poorer play of late compared to earlier in the season when he was actually effective.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Robert Covington (<a href="https://twitter.com/Holla_At_Rob33">@Holla_At_Rob33</a>) &amp; Isaiah Canaan (<a href="https://twitter.com/SiP03">@SiP03</a>) have been optioned to <a href="https://twitter.com/nbadleague">@nbadleague</a> affiliate <a href="https://twitter.com/RGVVipers">@RGVVipers</a>.</p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/statuses/457608449384132608">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. basketballholic

Not dismissing it. He turned into a chucker with the 3rd unit. That won't happen with the starters.

I am advocating we go back with him with the starters. He's the best floor-spreader we have at the 4 not named James Harden. I do not believe McHale will do it.

14. Franchize

Franchize Member

Daniels needs to play. We need a guy who's not afraid to shoot and is actually money from the outside.

Someone one needs to step up like Delfino did last year in the playoffs