1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

File help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by saleem, Aug 6, 2009.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I know this doesn't belong here,but I didn't know where else to ask.
    How do you play avi files? I downloaded VLC media and looked to play a basketball file because it didn't play in Windows media,the only options that I got were Quicktime and I Tunes etc as alternatives to it on my computer.

Is Quicktime compatible with avi? I have Quicktime,but it said it can't play the file,until I download more components. I'm not sure what to do next,I certainly don't want to end up paying money. I'm also concerned about picking up viruses and spyware.
    I have Windows Vista. Any help would be appreciated. I'm sorry that this isn't related to Feedback.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Technically all players can open avi files. The problem is something called codecs. VLC will work for a good majority of the stuff out there without you needing to look for codecs to download.

Open up VLC. Drag the file you want to play into it.

Windows Media/Quicktime/Real Player are jealous and possessive. They want you to play all avi files by default, even if those programs can't handle it.

After you've played your movie on VLC, what you can do is go back to the file, hold SHIFT button and right click the file. Expand Open With, and set VLC as the default player.

If VLC can't play it, movie is either corrupt or using some rare/scam encoding standard.

3. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

You should have asked your question in the hangout.... Except right now, its under siege...

Windows Media should play your .AVI files (I'm wondering why you wanted to clarify that these were basketball videos ;)

I would guess that you are missing a codec of some sort? Ask in the hangout, and someone with more knowledge in this issue will most likely help you out!

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks.