1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francisco Garcia

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreaMac, May 4, 2013.

1. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

What do the Rockets do with him? He will definitely get alot of interest in free agency, good money and possibly starting job. But would he be willing to take less money/come off bench if we can add another star (Dwight or Josh Smith) and put together a contender? I would love to have him over Delfino. He is not just a better shooter but an excellent defender.

Your thoughts?

(PS. If there is another thread discussing this please merge)

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good luck to him. Not worth $6 million. Hope he comes back and takes half

3. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Don't think Morey picks up his option (which is like 6 mil, I think). Think he'llget signed by a more veteran title contender, unless he really enjoyed playing for the Rockets.

4. jvu

jvu Member

Garcia has donated to the cp3/dh12 to Houston fund!

5. kastuul

kastuul Member

He will be in our 3rd unit if he stays and get minimum.

I guess Lakers love his game.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This is where you need Morey's mastery. IMO we have to sign a max or near max player with our cap space. By postponing it one year you lose out on that extra money allowed to spend over the cap space. More always does such good things with that money and free agents or second round picks so don't want to lose that flexibility for two years running. But to get that max plyer you most definitely have to release Garcia. Okay there may be other ways to do it but they involve dumping Asik.

So Garcia is gone. I love the guy but 6.4 mil is too much. We can get Korver for less.

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

He played great this series. Wish him well, but he's assuredly gone.

8. kastuul

kastuul Member

We can still have Delfino who can drive and dunk.

Our young players, Harden, Lin, Parsons, TJones, Dmo, and Beverly, must improve their 3pointer this summer.

It's fine.

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

He did some great things this series. Will miss him if he's gone.

10. showa13

showa13 Member

IMO if the system stays similar to this(I know we'll add plays) I think Korver would be a good pickup if we lose Delfino and Garcia. I see 'Cisco getting more somewhere else(Memphis, Indy, Knicks, Heat, Clippers, Mavs) as a 6th man on a playoff team

11. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

He'll get paid by a contender. Not us. Love the guy's toughness though.

12. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

This guy?:

[​IMG]

I know you can find a shooter much cheaper but its his defense that makes him much more valuable. Ofcourse there is no way we pickup his option, but if he is willing to take a slight paycut (maybe 4-4.5 mil) he is a much better option than Delfino/Korver etc.

1 person likes this.
  13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. He plays both ends of the court and is deserving of around the mle.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No way Morey risks losing out on a Max free agent like Dwight because of Garcias salary team option. He's gone.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

First I love Garcia. I'd much rather keep him than Delfino or Brooks. He shot amazing during the playoffs but there is no reason to believe he will continue that percentage considering his whole career he never shot anywhere near that. Also his in your face hustle type defense was impressive. But his defense is not based on athleticism or quickness. he doesn't have much. Delfino might even be more athletic. It's based on hustle, smarts and a little bit latin feistyness.

You can teach Korver those things. And in fact Thibodeau already did and said as much, "Korver has improved each year in the league and particularly on defense and playmaking while in Chicago."

But don't take Thibodeau's word for it. According to Basketball-Reference, the Hawks’ defensive-rating improves by eight points when Korver is on the floor. (99.1 when on/106.7 off). Really if you just watch the games you'll see he plays smart D on the floor. So while those pix are cute it's just not reality anymore. And there is no denying what this guy does behind the arc year in and year out. He is already the deadliest and I think he becomes deadlier here. Just watch the way he can just drive down and pull up and shoot a three on the run. Garcia is quick but not that quick. In fact no one on are team does that except Harden and he can't do it with the accuracy that Korver can.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/stjjPB1BH8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So while I love Garcia I would take Korver over him every day. I would dump Delfino and Garcia for Josh Smith and Korver and I love those guys. I hate messing with team chemistry but that is an upgrade at PF and backup 3 and we can even still play small ball with him and win some games that way.

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i'd rather not resign him and look for another perimeter defender, preferably 6'8 or 6'9. if the team feels he can be that guy then i'll go with it and see how it works the first two months.

if he had a smaller contract, 2-3mil, i'd definitely resign him. but still look for another perimeter defender

17. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

~lol~ agreed.

18. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I loved his play over Delfino in this series and I would like the Rockets to offer him the veteran minimum to see if he will stay.

Although I really liked the Delfino steal and dunk on Durant with that look afterward, that was great.

19. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

With the stuff hes shown this series, Iexpect SAS to throw their money at him as a backup. Congrats, Cisco! Thanks for giving it your all in Hou!

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

From the time we got him, Cisco was a good soldier. Great locker-room guys and providing a lot of advice and encouragement to the rookies. Didn't the broadcasters also quote McHale as saying, he was the only one willing to call out Harden?

Didn't really expect great play from him. He played great during those two games Harden was out, but that's it. He was a revelation in this series. He didn't shut down Durant but he hounded him while still shooting good.

Maybe we keep one of Garcia or Delfino to have as veteran presence around our youngsters. We don't really have to sign 15 players, do we? We can sign just 12/13 to cut costs and then call up from the Vipers if someone goes down.