1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Interview with Stephen A. Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Keyser Soze, Dec 12, 2012.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Looks like Kobe didn't like Dwight saying his freebies werent the reason for losing against Houston. He wants him to take the blame when it is his, can't disagree with that...

2. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I notice that Dwight never admits that his FT was one of the reasons why the Lakers were losing. Kobe admits that his turnovers are a big problem and that he will try his best to maximized his possession.

But Howard doesn't think his FTs are a problem, and blames it on other things. Sure other things are also part of them struggling, but he doesn't think his FTs are a problem. A lot of games that the Lakers lost, Howard missed a tons of FTs and they ended up losing by a few points. That is one of the reasons why Howard will never be a great player is because he never hold himself accountable. Instead, he blames everyone else.

I don't know how some of you guys feel about Howard, but I really dislike him. Kobe admits that his turnovers are a big issue and he will try to limit it, so Howard should at least hold himself accountable for his terrible FTs.

Like the game against the Rockets, how Howard said his FTs wasn't the reason why they lost when they only lost to Houston by 2 points and Howard missed a tons of FTs that game.

In the lost against the Cavs last night, Howard missed 9 FTs, no blocks, and wasn't really giving any effort on defense. He was letting the Cavs doing layup drills all night and didn't really try to contest any of it.

Kobe is right about Howard, can't really blame Kobe for it. Howard doesn't hold himself accountable to the loses, points fingers at others, and is taking crucial defense assignments off. Howard doesn't have that drive to win like other stars does. I think he even asked Kobe how does he motivates himself to win and have that drive... Howard will never be a winner because he doesn't take it seriously enough.

If you think about it, Howard never wanted to win in the first place, he just wants to go to a city where he can get the most media attention and sponsors and endorsements. Dwight was never about winning. If he was serious about winning, he would have worked hard on his game and plays hard every night. But that is just how I feel about Howard... IMHO, I am so glad that the Rockets didn't acquire Howard and got James Harden instead.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Part 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

4. supdudes

supdudes Member

Damn part 4 almost made me cry.

People need to see this interview. One of the most genuine conversations you will ever see

5. J-Tang

J-Tang Member

I think Kobe has changed a lot over the years. I think the Kobe from 5 years ago might have been so driven to tunnel vision that all he can see is the Ring at the end of the road. However, I think he has come to terms with his health and his place in history and understood that you can't have everything you want in life.

I hope he gets one more ring and retires on top.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Kobe is a professional and leader. I hope he retires a Laker

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

OK...that was really good...the "Price one pays for admission"

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Can't watch an interview of this guy without seeing all his facial gestures and the way he wets his lips and he shapes his mouth. He can't answer a question directly without shaking, blinking, moving his eyebrows, shaking, etc.

When he looks away from Smith when asking if he's satisfied with the roster, you can tell he is definitely lying about his answer when he says "I am", then looks away as he answers "I am" and he looks away again, but his eyebrows come together as to say: "I need to make sure you know I'm saying 'I am' or you won't believe me."

Lastly, Stephen asks at 3:27 of the second part: "Do you feel comfortable with it" and he STILL looks away... looking for the answer somewhere else.

Genuine interview, my a$$. :eek: He can't hide being pissed and wanting to say stuff without just answering the questions, while lying about it.

1 person likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rep flocking your way swoly.

10. SwoLy-D

Part 3: after reading a quote from Mike D'Antoni and citing the team was slow against the Cavs...
    Q: "What wins Championships?"
    A: "It's not about speed... it's about togetherness..."

:confused: Really? Last I heard, a faster guy back in transition or driving through the lane could beat a slower guy.

Here's more body language stuff:
    I'm watching part 3, and I thought Stephen A. Smith was done with the team question to which I referred on my post above... but at 1:11, there's that question "do you you believe this squad can do it"... and he looks away... AGAIN, while stammering and looking away, answers "well, uhh-I-I believe we have the intelligence to do it". No definite looking into Stephen's eyes and answering "YES." :grin:

This is unbelievable... this guy will stab you in the back if you ever hang out with him... so don't.

I'm watching all this so people don't think I'm making this stuff up. I'll endure this "interview"... but... this is grueling... all right... more interview stuff...

11. supdudes

supdudes Member

^ That's just disgusting.

So what if he makes gestures with his face? He's always talked like that. It's a habit, just like some people talk while waving their hands.

You're taking what you see and manipulating it to suit your own bashing agenda. I can't believe this guy, even when he articulates himself with such maturity and modality, still gets hated on. Where in the interview did he "stab [people] in the back"? WHERE? All I heard was genuine desire to be the best one can be and have a winning attitude. He complements Pau on his achievements and present ability, and speaks the truth about the last year years "being an after thought". That's as honest as someone can put it. He compliments Hill's hustle and Meek's shooting, and says he has no problem with what Howard is doing. If you didn't notice, SAS was desperately probing him to say something "extreme" that could go on ESPN or SC. Bryant told it like it was, but took the time to think about taking the answer and putting in in greater context, and providing an unselfish answer.

I see no contradiction. Kobe's matured alot (playing and winning does that to people), and him still wanting to win doesn't mean he has to say something edgy all the time. Geez wizz

Swoly...more like Surly. Give it a rest mate

12. SwoLy-D

^ Why are you so mad, man? :grin: Don't take this so seriously, man.

I don't see where Kobe has matured a lot... because he is still avoiding the questions.

The constant looking away while being asked a YES or NO question to come back to answer something else and beat around the bush just like when he was asked "do you think Howard will remain a Laker?" and he didn't answer directly speaks volumes.

If Howard is my teammate and I want him to play with me and I want to win with him, I would say: "YES. HELL YES, he will be in my team next year because we will win the championship with him THIS YEAR." I hope you would, too... unless you DON'T want him to play with you this or next year. I guarantee you, and you can quote me later, that he and Howard will NOT be together next year, even if Howard fixes his free throw slump.

Kobe is an excellent basketball player and he might make us pull our hair while watching him sink threes and 40 points against our Rockets, but he can't answer a straight question.

I apologize if I upset you, sir. It wasn't my intention. No, I'm not surly, man... I just ate a very sweet orange.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Usually I don't enjoy listening to NBA player but Kobe Bryant is one of those who you just enjoy. Great basketball player and a cool, honest guy

14. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

That how Kobe's been his entire career.

What is he supposed to say? No we can't? He has to lie answering these type of questions and it is human nature. They have a pretty good roster but it is what it is but it is still early. He didn't seem honest on that part but that one is actually understandable and normal to me.

15. seyton

seyton Member

Body language is by far the most over rated thing in the history of the world.

16. supdudes

supdudes Member

Not mad man, just mildly irritated.

"Hell yes, we're gonna win" or "Hell yes, Phil's a better coach" or "Of course I don't trust Jim Buss." would've been easy to say, and may even have seemed correct in the immediate. But they're not what a tempered veteran would say, or believes for that matter.

The last minute or so of the interview was what hit hard. If anyone still want's to know what Kobe's about. His last quotes sums it up perfectly. "I want people to know that I've given my all to this game, and that I did my very best with what I had. That's the legacy I want to leave."...Or something to that effect.

Anyway, no need to apologize. Just want people to appreciate this guy more. For all I know he's the last of a dying breed, and will be gone in a few years.