1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[tv] Good bye Ned Flanders & Mr. Burns?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, May 14, 2015.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Harry Shearer is apparently leaving The Simpsons.

Please try to avoid the "The Simpsons haven't been good since..." crap. It's been discussed over and over and over and over.........

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Booooo-urns.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Can't for the life of me figure out why somebody would leave a voice acting gig, that's the easiest money in the business, particularly for a show like the Simpsons which has to have some stupid residuals.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Me and some buddies met Mr. Shearer during a Mardi Gras one year. Really cool guy. We were all hardcore Simpsons fans and each of us got him to say one line in one of his voices. Looking back, he was well within his right to tell us to go to hell and leave him alone. But he didn't. He hung for a bit and talked and was a super nice guy. So I'll gladly take his side in this dispute. I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, so I won't really miss his contribution to the show, but they are stupid if they think they can adequately replace all the voices he does without it being strange and uncomfortable.

Incidentally, I got him to say "Avoision" in his Kent Brockman voice. It was awesome.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

From his experience of always asking for more money and getting it he thought that strategy would work again. The simpsons is losing money because of those deals so they finally said no. Then he lit his money on fire.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

8. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I always thought the show would go off the air whenever Harry Shearer decided to quit. Guess I was wrong. They'll never stop The Simpsons.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I get the feeling this will be the last 2 years..unless they're going to go for 30. But a show without Flanders, Skinner, and Burns? Man, I don't know...

Crappy thing is, this season is over and done with. How do they deal with 3 major characters disappearing?

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They've already said they're going to replace him and the main characters aren't going anywhere.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Didn't The Simpsons get renewed for like, 2 more seasons or something?

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I guess I could understand his point in theory, but he's a voice actor, not a star. They will be able to find somebody to seamlessly replicate his voice, or multiple people if necessary for that salary.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The voice actors were getting 400K per episode!!! Damn, not sure why but I didn't expect voice actors to bring in that kind of money. I guess it's more to do with Simpsons than voice acting.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Who can name the oldest character in the shows history?

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Depends on if you're talking about actual age of character, or which character appeared first, and if you're going back to the Tracey Ullman show or now.

16. Nook

Nook Member

He is in his 70's with a wife half his age.... he has been milking the Simpsons cash cow for nearly 30 years. He has to have more money than he will ever be able to spend, so at some point, especially at his age, if they don't give you what you want, it isn't worth it.

17. donkeypunch

Age- I dont think theres actual ages for characters on the show but from context, this person's age would be older than anyone.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Fox has made over $4.6 billion from the show on merchandising alone.

19. donkeypunch

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DX1iplQQJTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. So Good

So Good Member

People still watch this crap? I was a die-hard fan...I gave up around season 20...(Probably 5 seasons too late)