1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Thon Maker (7'1 -- ESPN's #1 Player in the Class of 2016)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by HMMMHMM, Feb 8, 2014.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I usually don't get too excited about high school kids, but this guy could be pretty solid, I think. :)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BDZaJFd4aSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

looks like a kg/durant hybrid

3. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Looking from his body movement when he's running. Kid is smooth, not herky jerky, which is a good sign. Obviously dominating now because of sheer height advantage. Got some handles. Hmmm good potential.

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Looks like Embiid with more handles, driving ability and power. That's against this competition though.

Could be a very useful PF in the NBA if you put him next to the right defensive rebounding center. Twin Towers anyone?

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Not much hops.. Good handles and lateral movement for his size and able to drive into the lane. Seems average in quickness and athleticism.

Probably too slow, unathletic to play a primarily perimeter game in the NBA. I could see him getting stuffed on the regular a la Nate Robinson on Yao Ming.

Nothing stands out to me in terms of athleticism for a Center like DeAndre Jordan and Dwight Howard, or strength/height like Roy Hibbert.

#5 krnxsnoopy, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  6. Zergling

Zergling Member

I agree. I expect him to fall low enough in the draft for Morey to snoop in and pick him up.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Considering he's what 17? He will have time to add bulk.

8. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Looks like KG. He could be a player!

9. try

try Member

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thon Maker - he's already got a star name.

11. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Meet your Maker!!!

I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Perry Jones III.

12. AFS

AFS Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MlOVLiLbb80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's his workout with John Lucas. Looks like he has good touch with the hook shot, and his jumpshooting is pretty impressive. Can't wait to see how he plays when his body fills out in a few years.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

Any indication where he's interested in playing in college? As a Longhorn fan, I like that he's worked with John Lucas since his son is on the UT staff now under Rick Barnes.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Most players of his size can barely get up and down the court at his age. His athleticism (which is already quite good) will improve in the next two years.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

His reported Yi Jianlian age? or his actual age?

#ThonMakerBirther

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

crazy watching someone that tall cross people over easily

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wttjoWjzvm4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His quickness is incredible. This isn't just a tall, athletic project either. Looks like this dude has some serious skill.

19. basketballholic

He's got some skills. But I'll tell you what....that kid is going to have to get a lot stronger if he intends to play professionally or even have a decent college career. He's basically playing against all guys that are half his length or less on those clips. He's intriguing. Twill be interesting to watch him develop.

20. CertifiedTroll

Kevin Durrant is long and skilled with no muscle. Im sure this kids skill level translates. He isnt Isiah Austin 2.0 he is quicker and more skilled.