1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flopping

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotdamn, Mar 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hotdamn

hotdamn Member

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What's a clear case of flopping?

For example, yesterday Lowry got called for a foul for apparently being shoved in the back. Adelman wasn't happy about that, and Bullard said Lowry apparently fouled with his back.

Could that have been a flop by Lowry? Sure. Maybe he felt a little pressure and he decided to dive to the floor. How can the NBA determine what really happened there?

3. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

Then maybe they should just let the guy play psychical like the old days.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm all for that. No blood, no foul. But call it the same both ways. Yao will adjust.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Or review game tapes of questionable plays and issue technical fouls.

6. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

No blood no foul? I'd like to draft Fedor for the Rockets. :D

7. dookiester

dookiester Member

i agree with your point generally (its difficult to distinguish true flops) but lowry had his back turned on that play. i find it hard to believe he flopped when he didn't even see the player coming into him. harpring pretty much just bulldozed him over.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I don't know if they've enforced it. All I know is, it appears, and has for decades now, that Sloan teaches his teams to get away with whatever they can, and it starts with flopping around. Hard on defense, soft on offense, complain about every call, but don't follow the rules. They fall down on every play. Lots of players in the league do it, but no other team defines it the way they do... and that's ANY of Sloan's teams.

It's sickening, really. On one hand, he must be a great coach, because they all do it and they all learn to get away with it, and on the other, he's a freakin' wanker trying to get over on the difficulty of officiating NBA games. He and his system makes the game, and the league, worse, and all his players seem to define this. They make the referees look like fools, and they reward them for it. It is insane.

I won't go through the list of stuff last night that they pulled, but if I were on that team playing that way, I'd be ashamed of myself.

Luckily, as many have said, karma... they will NEVER win a ring playing that way. Problem is, how many teams have lost their chance at a ring falling by their wayside with these antics?

9. durvasa

How about on that other play where Battier attempted to draw a charge on a fast break. He fell to the floor just as the guy was kicking it out for a 3-pointer. He pointed to the ref like he should have gotten the call. Couldn't that have been a flop?

If the play was reversed, and it was a Jazz player trying to take that hit, I think most of Clutchfans would be calling that flopping. When we do it, it gets overlooked.

That's the problem with this whole flopping issue. It's entirely subjective.

10. ILoveTheRockets

that is a crappy example. It was clear Lowry got ran over by a LARGER player from BEHIND. Anyone on this board under 250 pounds would have fallen from that contact.

11. Artesticle

Artesticle Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2FG1WAry08&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2FG1WAry08&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FEx4JUDeyAQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FEx4JUDeyAQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. ILoveTheRockets

Flopping and trying to draw a charge are two different animals. Drawing a charge is as legit of a play as you can get.

Falling when someone taps you with their pinky, or in Kerilinko's case last night... Fall after you realize you will not make your shot.

drawing a charge, and flopping are two different animals.

13. gatsby

gatsby Member

I absolutely love this with Dirk not giving the ball to the ref. It's like a keep away from the 5' guy.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

But haven't the Jazz being doing this for years, especially in 90s?

Don't get me started on the Utah refs ... they are probably worse than LA ones.

15. Cbox

Cbox Member

Is there a flop button in NBA 2k9?

16. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

it's hard to police these things, because it'll involve 'profiling', sensitive stuff, Commissioner PC Stern wouldn't touch that

17. durvasa

They are one and the same. When a player tries to draw a charge by exaggerating contact -- and every player that attempts to draw a charge does that -- that is by definition flopping. Some are more exaggerating than others, but they all try to sell it.

There is one difference, actually .. and this gets on my nerves. Post defenders who flop. A post defender is supposed to do what ever he can to not give ground (see Chuck Hayes). The worst floppers, IMO, are guys like Oberto and Pryzbilla who'll routinely fall backwards with minimal contact. Yeah, that pisses me off as much as anyone.

18. ibm

ibm Member

flopping exists in the game, no matter how you try to define it.

the players are not the biggest problem. the rules and officiating are. if i know i have a good chance to get a foul called on the other team when i flop, why the heck not do it to help my team?

either they implement some soccer rules to clean up the flops, or just let the players play. and be consistent on both ends. a 300lbs man get pushed by both hands of the defender and he doesn't budge doesn't mean a foul is not committed. if one team gets away from getting rebounds over the back or hacking on loose balls, the other team should, too.

19. jondoe

jondoe Member

Its getting kinda ridiculous with the flopping, they gotta try something. The refs just suckk in the NBA. Only Joey crawford is good. They gotta get rid of stu jackson first and foremost. And stern. His tenure is way overdue. The NBA has the worse refs in any league. Any.

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I laughed at that article. They haven't enforced that once all year. I haven't heard of a single instance of this fine being doled out and we've probably seen well over 100 flops this season in Rockets games alone.