1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Andre Johnson no longer wants to be a Texan

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

This pass-happy era "should" force more WR's like AJ into the H.O.F. on the flip side there will be less RB's going into the H.O.F.

We had the running era where the RB's received the glory and now we have the pass-happy era where the WR's receive the glory. With the change of the league the voting criteria "should" change along with it.

AJ does not merit 1st ballet consideration but he won't have to wait as long as a guy like Chris Carter to get in. AJ Green and Calvin Johnson will more than likely be 1st ballet inductees if they continue doing what they've been doing.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's likely going to have the same impact the PED era did on baseball: knock some of the shine off of otherwise great careers. Again, I go back to Bagwell - there is a segment of voters who, PEDs aside, simply don't think his numbers are worthy. Part of that is because, in the context of that era, his numbers are slightly less impressive - he didn't hit 500 HRs, he didn't hit .300, etc.

By the time AJ is eligible (5 years after the day he retires), what will the WR record book look like? Will he be top 5 anymore? That's the big concern - and we've seen it happen to guys like Lofton, Carter, Brown - all top five guys when they retired who have slowly been kicked down further, and further because of the rise of the passing game...

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Part of me wants to believe that if Pancakes can get Warren Moon into the HOF, he can get AJ in. One of the few really impressive accomplishments in his savory career. Of course, by the time AJ is eligible, McClain will probably be hooked up to an insulin powered rascal scooter if he's lucky.

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Great news for Texans team and fans. He will definitely be worth a couple extra wins as the team knows they have their champion wideout back.
    Teams will still have to watch out for the big guy with the #80 on his jersey.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's not already? :confused:

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Totally agree with the era thing.. Its actually kind of ridiculous. I was reading the other day about the really controversial Ohio State v Michigan game in 1973. They put up the stats, OSU had 0 yds passing on 5 attempts, Michigan had 90 yds on 10 attempts, for the WHOLE GAME.

Also teams used to use the fullback a lot more. I remember Mike Alstot being a beast with the Bucs alongside Warrick Dunn

7. Remii

Remii Member

Two different sports with two totally different situations.

And how many elite WR's do you think is in the league...??? It's only about 5-7 and only around a dozen "true" #1 receiver. Those guys don't grow on trees. And with offenses getting more sophisticated and putting more receiving options on the field (like the use of TE's for example) those #'s will still be hard to reach. AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, and possibly Demaryious Thomas are the only guys AJ will have to worry about. I would say Julio Jones but I'm not sure he can stay healthy.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Also, while this talk about AJ getting into the HOF is really interesting, is no one gonna comment on the fact that he showed up to training today?! Im not sure of the particulars, but IM PUMPED. Finally some good news lol.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is such a relief.

Now I can go back to liking Andre again. After all these years, it just doesn't feel right having animosity towards him.

10. Hey Now!

Yeah, that's the one "advantage" to the way the PFWAA votes: writers can stump for guys. I think it's responsible for some borderline guys getting in (Carson, Monk, Moon, frankly) - but for someone like AJ, who's career will require a little due diligence, McClain can be a tremendous asset... if, you know, he's still around.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Agreed. And I'm sure I would've been a little more understanding if the rest of the ****storm around Houston sports had not been happening.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Great news. Glad to have 80 back

13. Hey Now!

Well, again - in a pass happy league, there are going to be some huge numbers that can push discussion of "elite" into a gray area - Antonio Brown went 110/1,499/8 last year (in 14 games) - that is uber-elite, and he wasn't the only guy we wouldn't designate as elite at the top of the leader board (Pierre Garcon, Kendall Wright).

In terms of guys I think are genuinely elite? AJ, CJ, Green, Jones, Thomas, Bryant, Marshall, Jeffrey and Gordon are all certifiably upper-echelon great WRs. Jackson is a gamebreaker; there are guys like Brown, Garcon and Nicks who are really good (and likely to have inflated numbers in this era), and a slew of really good young up-and-comers: Hopkins, Watkins, etc.

It may very well be a golden age of WRs, which, again, is somewhat inflated by the era.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Which makes all the hate and disrespectful things some fans around here was saying about him look even more ridiculous... The man didn't miss ONE day of training camp.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Guys like Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon have to show consistency 1st. Jeffrey plays with Marshall so that's a strike against him (that kid in Arizona looks like he can be a good one too).

Your fantasy football league will show you it's very few receivers that can be counted on for production week in and week out _ year in and year out...

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

He missed MANDATORY mini camp, then asked for money back from the optional practices he also skipped claiming he would "work out extra hard"

Dont get me wrong I am super glad he is back and wanted it this way the whole time.. but I still think he went about this the wrong way. Agree with his reasons or not, he acted childishly. And his uncle is still an idiot.

But I would have been very upset if we lost him, I love him on our team.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Andre Johnson received an “understanding of where Texans are going &amp; of his own future &amp; security,” source says. Hint he’ll be there in 2015</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/492667801770131458">July 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Remii

Remii Member

So what... It's mini camp with no pads. He probably would have just been doing a lot of standing around anyway because he's an aged veteran with a lot of miles on his tiers... And from what I've read O'Brien cut it short anyway.

And that's just your opinion. And that's fine for you to have an opinion... But it's real easy for a man to tell another man how they should handle their business when that man has never had to walk in the other man's shoes.

And you can bet that AJ doesn't give a d@mn what you, I, or anyone else thinks. Just like you wouldn't give a d@mn if a fry cook at McDonald's was telling you how you should handle your life/business.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Houston needs to honor his contract.

The guy deserves it. Sometimes, these little maneuvers are what lure FA's in to your office. Football players want to be taken care of.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

New QBs. Would have been nice to see them get some extra time together.