1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[TV] AMC's Preacher

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 7, 2014.

1. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I have to agree about the lack of directions, we get the tone but a story arch which the uninitiated can grab onto would be really nice to.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've only watched the pilot (which I did not like) and have read nothing that makes me think dumping 2 hours of my life into episodes 2 and 3 would be a worthwhile investment. I think I'll just delete them and stop recording this show.

Shame.

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

First few episodes have been very uneventful, but the foundation is there for a great show.

I'm willing to be patient as there isn't much going on besides HBO's Sunday night.

Many shows start off awfully slow, but end up being very good i.e. House of Cards.

5. dmoneybangbang

I'm still sticking around but the overall lack of direction and backstory after 3 episodes needs to be addressed sooner than later.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is a confusing mess
    I was reading where someone said they already off book
    And *****ed up some of the origin story
    And some other stories already.

I don't mind going off book but this does not seem to be for the better

Rocket River
    Maybe I check th books and come back

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The cowboy scenes from last episode are the epitome of whats wrong with this show. The audience has no idea about the person's back story, his relation to the rest of the show or his intentions. He also doesn't speak, so we have no idea about his personality either. Then he stumbles upon a house with a dead person in it who we don't know and we don't know why the person is dead. We then have no idea what the cowboys reaction is to it because he doesn't emote.

Why would any audience member have an emotional response to this ****?
    I've always detested Seth Rogen and this show doesn't help.

8. Nero

Nero Member

I have enjoyed the show thoroughly, and look forward to it each Sunday night.

For the record, the Cowboy didn't 'stumble' on a house, that was the house he left earlier, in order to go get some kind of 'medicine', apparently for the young girl who was ill in some unknown way.

With the way this show is going, and because it is obviously related to the current events in some way, clearly the girl's 'illness' was related to the evil spirit/whatever-it-is which has infected the Preacher, and the delay to the Cowboy's return allowed something terrible to happen both to the girl and to her mother.

The story will unfold over time, obviously. Some people enjoy a low-burn mystery like this, and some people have no patience.

What I am most interested in now is, why Kincannon killed all those Green Acres people, all the while acting like he was still being 'nice'. Clearly, the Preacher's 'gift' is rather like making a wish from an evil genie - technically the wish comes true, but always with some kind of terrible fatal flaw.

Meaning, all these people to whom he has been handing out casual 'commands' are likely in some serious trouble right now.

It seems as though, with last week's episode, it has all started to show what's really happening, and the nature of the danger they are all in now.

It's too bad so many people have so little patience, especially in an age when people are ALSO loudly complaining about so few people trying something new when it comes to movies and television. The show is definitely outside the normal box, no doubt about it.

If you're on the fence, watch at least through this coming show before you give up on it. That's my advice.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

I've never read the comic, but so far am enjoying the show. It seems the pace is about to pick up just a bit now that we have the "agents" from heaven describing what type of entity is inside the preacher.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've been watching, but it's like eating my veggies. Not liking it yet, hopefully it's good for me in the long run.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Kinda how I feel. I can see the potential, just don't think the show is quite there yet.. I'll finish out the season and hope it gets there.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've been watching and enjoying. Know nothing about the comic or whatever.

Some of the negative comments are certainly based in reality, but I'm not that off-put by them. The show is well-done, cinematographic-ally, with solid acting thus far, so I'm more than willing to give it the benefit of the doubt that the story will piece its way together over time.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The question is how many more hours of your life are you willing to waste on this. I gave up after episode 1; IMO it's just too hard to overcome a miscast of your main character, and it doesn't help that the writers aren't very good storytellers.

If by some miracle the show magically picks up in quality I can always catch up on AMC's season 1 marathon that will surely happen leading into the season 2 premier. But until then... I'd rather watch reruns of Full House on Nick at Nite.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

99 times out of 100 I do what you did. Eject ASAP. The only time I don't do that is this exact window, after basketball and before football.

1 person likes this.
  15. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

The show is not good. The problem is that they don't explain very much and after 5 episodes you still don't know what is going on. My wife gave up after 3 episodes and if I hadn't read the source material I would have given up. The problem is that they have yet to explain the base of the storyline but will show the Saint of Killers for a good chunk without explaining anything of who he is. So all these loose storylines
    -Saint of Killers
    -Jesse's Word of God powers
    -Angels wanting to get it back
    -Cassidy being hunted
    -Jesse's and Tulips past
    -Jesse's childhood
    -Meatpacking cluster of a storyline

None of these things have gone anywhere in five episodes. Just meandering along. At this rate they will be done with story by season 20.

16. Buck Turgidson

I want to like it, but they're not making it easy.

I don't read comic books. I have no ****ing clue what's going on half the time, but I'm kind of piecing it together.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is basically where I am with the whole thing
    I have not been given enough information

I *think* I got ArseFace's story down but I am not sure
    I cannot figure out why Rorshacht did what he did at the end of the last episode

Rocket River

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Oh, I'm sure he'll spin it "I was just doin' the Lords work..." I was fully expecting it to be a dream scene when it went down tho...!! :eek:

19. Nero

Nero Member

Well, that was one of the most entertaining 'fight scenes' I have ever seen..

And the story is starting to be revealed more and more. It's just getting better every week.

Loved it.

It's a shame people bail on things like this so fast - that's why we have so many unwatchable 'reality tv shows', because they are cheap to make, and nobody cares if they only last half a season.

20. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

Yes, was a very good episode. I'm interested to see how/if he can undo what he did to Eugene.