1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio Davis wants out!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BiGGieStuFF, Oct 3, 2003.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Would we be even remotely interested?? What do you think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1629229

Associated Press
    TORONTO -- Antonio Davis doesn't sound like he wants to be with the Toronto Raptors anymore.

Asked Thursday if he wants to stay, the center said: "I'm here."

Davis faced the media for the first time since rumors surfaced that he asked for a trade. He said he didn't come flat out and ask to be dealt, but it sounds as if he'd prefer to be elsewhere.

He criticized the team for not making enough moves to improve itself.

"I took time to look over what transpired over the summer. I didn't go in there and tell them I think you should move me, but I also understand the nature of this business," Davis said.

"When I look at our roster, I'm sure all of you have printed that I'm coming up on 35, and given my situation and my salary structure and all that, yeah, I have to wonder if this team is going to make moves and they haven't."

Davis, who has three years and $37 million left on his contract, sold his Toronto home over the summer. He didn't want to talk about whether his family is happy in Toronto, but he complained two years ago about his children having to learn "O Canada" and the metric system.

"I have to be a father first and a husband first," he said.

Davis welcomes a move sooner rather than later.

"If you're going to trade me, trade me,'' he said. "Whenever they are going to do, let them do it so I can situated."

The 6-foot-9 Davis averaged 13.9 points and 8.2 rebounds in 53 games last season. He missed the final 11 games with a groin injury and a swollen right knee, which he had surgery on over the summer.

The Raptors went 24-58 last year and Davis doesn't want to go through that again.

"Nobody respects us. We're going to have to work twice as hard as anybody," he said.

Raptors star Vince Carter doesn't want to see Davis traded.

"I hope we can figure out something. As far as I know he's not happy, from what I hear," Carter said. "If that's what he wants to do, we just have to support that. At the same time we'd love to have him."

Guard Alvin Williams said the Raptors better get something significant in return for Davis.

"I hope he doesn't get traded unless we get a Michael Jordan from 1985 for him," Williams said. "He's somebody we came up with. He's been through a lot with the team."

Davis spent six seasons with Indiana before coming to Toronto in a deal before the 1999-00 season for the rights to forward Jonathan Bender. He had his best season in 2000-01, averaging 13.7 points and 10.1 rebounds.

New coach Kevin O'Neill expects Davis to be a professional this year.

"I'm expecting Antonio Davis to be Antonio Davis, a hard playing guy, a blue collar guy, a good leader on and off the court," O'Neill said. "He's one of the guys that we are going to build our team around. I just expect him to be here at 10 o'clock in the morning to suit it up like he's done for the last decade. I don't think we should expect anything different."

2. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Where would he fit in? We'd be stocked at the PF position- Griffin, Taylor, Davis. Although this would likely spark a fire in Griffin/Taylor as possible trade bait. I'd be in favor of it, but someone would have to be moved

3. BiGGieStuFF

Well it will have to be a trade it appears but what do we have to offer??

4. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

davis is showing only signs of getting worse and has a huge contract

say no to davis

i believe there are several decent FA's or 3mil/yr PF's u can pickup/trade for who can give u almost what he can now

say no to davis

5. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

We need Antonio! It's been a long time since there's been a UTEP Miner on the Rox.... "D

6. foodworld

foodworld Member

Who else has been on the Rockets? Dave Feitl?

7. Soji34

Soji34 Member

trade john ameichi(?sp?) and jim jackson for Davis. he's awesome. he could teach yao and eddie a lot, and play backup center. it would be utter complete dominance!!!!!! we need someone to punk the opponents. we dont have anyone like that.

8. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Gus Bailey '74-'76
    Dave Feitl '86-87, '90-'91

And I think that's it. We need to get Antonio in here and see if we can get Tim Hardaway out of retirement to replace Moochie... :D

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Signing a key player like Jackson and then immediately trading him makes no sense. Besides, you can't trade a FA signing until exactly 3 months after the signing. So we can't trade Jackson until about January the 1st. I bet Toronto would have interest in Mo. They have had interest in Mo in quite awhile, mostly because he is a low post scorer and they need more scoring weapons, and big bodies, something Toronto DESPERATELY needs. Mo and the exception might do it. I would love to have Antonio Davis in a Rockets uniform!

10. purplefever

purplefever Contributing Member

Make it Cato + the exeption and it could happen.

The Raptors are stacked at PF with Bosh, Bradley, Moiso and JYD - with Bosh clearly being the desired future at the 4. There's talk that Mutombo has the Raps high in his list since he has a sister and large extended family here. Replacing AD with Cato and Mutombo would be a huge coup for the Raps and contrary to what some rox fans believe, AD would be the ideal complement to Yao in the frontcourt. None of your PFs are real "bangers" and this is exactly Davis' greatest strength, not to mention he's a better rebounder than anyone else on the Rox not named Yao. He's closer to 6'10" and weights over 250lbs of solid muscle. He could play 20 mpg at PF and 10 mpg behind Ming at C.

It would put the Rox at about $54 mil for the coming season and would swallow the bulk of your exception, so it's possible that an extra Rocket would have to be included to balance the salaries better... possibly to a 3rd team since players like Norris and Mobley wouldn't be good fits in TO and Griffin would never be included.

Thoughts?

11. BiGGieStuFF