1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Julius Hodge mentioned with Rockets

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Willis25, May 31, 2005.

1. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2005/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=2072425&num=2

its just a mention, and its Chad Ford, but here is the exceprt (interesting read):
    _____
    Two months ago we had Julius Hodge on the first-round bubble. We put him at No. 28 in our first mock draft, but chances are he's not going to be around when the Spurs pick.

The feedback we're getting from teams that have worked him out is extremely positive. He could now go as high as No. 17 to the Pacers. The Grizzlies will take a long look at him at No. 19. So will the Rockets at No. 24 and the Jazz at No. 27. Given the high praise he's gotten from all of those teams, it's tough to see him slipping past all four to San Antonio. Just to bolster that contention, Hodge withdrew from the Chicago pre-draft camp. That's always a pretty solid sign that a player's gotten word from a team that it will select him in the first round if he is still on the board.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'd love to see him in PJs----- er a Rocket uni. He is a solid, all-around, heady player. Michael Cooper redux.

3. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

He struggles with 3-point shooting and I wonder if he'll be able to use his body the same way he did in college. He does not have NBA range and probably never will since his shot is extremely flat. Probably a good pick for another team, don't see how he'd fit with Yao and T-Mac. A good PF will be available.

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

Two Points:

1. Its Chad Ford

2. Draft rumors are usually misinformation, either from the teams or the agents.

But thanks for sharing the info. Something is better than nothing. I know nothing about Hodge and never saw him play. All I heard is that he has a very bad shot.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

thats more than we needed to know.

6. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I like Julius Hodge a lot, but not if Jack, Diogu or Garcia are on the board. Everyone assumes because we have McGrady and Yao that any player that will get minutes beside them must shoot atleast 35% from three point land. I don't see it that way at all. Hodge isn't a guy you're going to run off screens, but I think he'll develop into a 30% shooter from 3, which is passable considering all the other positives he brings to the table. He's 6-7, has legitimate PG skills, and even though he's not a pure shooter, he's a pretty good scorer(50% FG). I think he'd go fit well in a lineup with Mike James and McGrady, where anyone of them could bring the ball up the court and James could guard the PG while not having to assume ball handling responsibilites fulltime.

7. RocketsFAN3035

yeah, we've seen him enough at Durham- glad he is leaving from that point. I think he is a good player.

Even if you didn't actually intended, I think he does look a lot like Michael Cooper's illigitamate love child though. Just looked at pictures of the two. Looks like a match to me.

I'd post pictures of them but I have no idea how post them

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I was really only talking about future contributions on the court in spite of really skinny physiques.

You in Durham? I'm between Greensboro and Winston-Salem in Oak Ridge.

9. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Hodge reminds me of Gaines - definitely not a good thing. i'd be surprised if he went that high (middle of the first round).

10. mulletman

mulletman Member

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/383782.html

11. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

If it's true that he's improved his shooting form I think he'd be a good pick, but I wouldn't count on him being a PG. He is a bit herky-jerky and doesn't have the post or transition game of a Penny or Magic that would allow him to run a team. Maybe Jalen Rose/Joe Johnson type ballhandler.

12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I like this guy and if we pick him it will be a good choice. If he falls past us he will be on all the "look who we could have drafted" lists. Julius Hodge is a winner/hard worker. This is the kind of player that can will a team to win on his desire to win alone.

All that said, there are other players that might be better fits and that may fall to us a #24 (Warrick, Diagu, Simien, Garcia). I think any of these 5 will be solid picks with Simien and Garcia at the bottom because they don't have the desire to win that the other 3 have. Simien also has the injury problems and I watched Joey Graham pwn him too many times.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I have liked Julius Hodge since before the draft last year. I think he fits the Van Gundy mold, a skinny kid, that can run all over the floor forever, playing tough defense. The guys gets down and plays his butt off, and he has skills to boot. I've never understood why he was projected second round. I'd be happy if we got him.

14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Amazing that Hodge measured 6'6 without shoes and 6'7 with and he has an incredible 8'11 1/2 standing reach. Andrew Bogut the top center in the draft measured 6'11 without shoes and 7'0 1/4 with and 9'2 1/2 standing reach. Wayne Simien measured 6'7 1/4 without shoes and 6'9 with and had a standing reach of 8'11. Ike Diogu measured 6'6 1/2 without shoes and 6'8 with and a whopping 9'1 standing reach. All these are Chicago camp measurements.

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Damn, that's positively Tayshaunesque. What's the wingspan on the kid. Unless somebody really good falls to #24, this guy might be worthwhile just as a defensive stopper.

16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think his wingspan is 7'0 1/2

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

To me Hodge is exactly the kind of player JVG would love to add to this team. He is a smart player, good passer, relatively atheltic, and hustles. His upside/ceiling might not be very high, but you know what you are going to get. Hodge probably could play 3 positions as well. If his biggest weakness is shooting range, that can be worked on. And he might be a little on the thin side, but that doesnt hinder Tayshaun Prince much. Hodge seems to have a lot of good intangibles. Not quite the same game...but he could be someone like Josh Howard, a solid player that is taken late in the 1st round and turns out to be a quality NBA role player.

Personally I think the Rockets will take a swingman with their 1st round pick and I am sure Hodge is one they will highly consider.